Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Profit Sharing

+4
JBM
Tash
Metina
Lynnie
8 posters

Go down

Profit Sharing Empty Profit Sharing

Post by Lynnie Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:46 pm

We have something of an economically depressed area here. Our city actually made it on a national list from Forbes about having the #2 worst job market in the country, and incredibly high lay-offs. Yay, right?

This has lead me to having to be very creative in marketing and target strategies. We do have an abundance of places where families can go that are cheap. Drive-ins, play farms, mom and pop movie theaters, mini-golf/cages, car shows etc. These places are not willing to pay us to come in and paint as they have in the past, and they don't want us to do PPF because they are afraid parents won't spend money on ice cream or whatever with them.

However, I've been talking with a couple of the places and here's what they are willing to do- allow me to do PPF and then pay them $1/face (which is something we keep track of). I view this as a "space rental fee", the same as it is for any festival or fair.

We both make money, though we'd not be making as much as usual, but we also get to be out there more and handing out our cards as opposed to sitting home and not making anything- but not using anything either.

So. Right now I'm leaning to yes but I am the type of person to over-think things before I move, which is why I'm asking what are your thoughts? Would you do it?
What do you see as pluses and minuses that I might be missing?

Thanks!
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Profit Sharing Empty Re: Profit Sharing

Post by Metina Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:55 pm

I would say in these hard times we have to try anything and everything a few times. I would make sure that YOU are part of their marketing plan. They need to make the public aware that they will now have face painting in an attempt to draw more folks. I would also be clear in writing that this is on a trial basis. If you are working for hours and hours and not making anything or even going in the RED, there really is no point.

BUT......... the biggest reason I would not do this is the crowd that is being attracted is those looking for cheap things to do which means the most likely won't be able to afford to hire a face painter. Thus, I feel that you will be working hard at attracting the wrong crowd, PPF is always risky and usually a money loser. I would pass on this, but hey, go with your gut.

-Metina
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:11 pm

I think I would do it... but then I have found myself in a few situations I wish I hadn't.... I like to learn things the hard way I guess, but I think this idea could work - as long as you are attending places where you know there will be a high attendance and you price yourself right.
I would rather be working regularly then sitting at home..... and there is the promotional side to consider - if you show up at the same places regularly the families will get to know you and remember you and come looking for you, you will get a good local presence. I mean if these people can't afford to hire you for their party they still might part with $5 or $10 to get there kids faces and they wouldn't of hired you anyway.
Maybe when they see how lovely your work is and how much the kids like it - your hourly rate will become more appealing to them and they will hire you for a birthday or event.
I agree with Metina to go with your gut, if the thought of sitiing around for five hours and only painting 5 faces is a disaster to you then don't do it.... but if you think well if that's the worst that can happen it's not so bad.... then go for it.
I would at least try it out at a couple of venues.... what have you got to lose? You may find it's not worth your time and effort, but I agree it's better then sitting at home and waiting for the phone to ring.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks for the giving me much to think on, Metina. I really like the idea of making sure I'm part of the marketing, though if I say it's a trial I wonder how willing they'd be to add that to the marketing. Perhaps two-week trial first, then marketing agreement.

About PPF not being usually worth it, it's actually our bread and butter. Enough that I have 3 booths, one umbrella and 7 employees that go out to exclusively PPF events every weekend and a couple weeknights May through September. Before coming on FPF, I had always assumed that's how it was for everyone. I've since realized it's not so and I'm very lucky.

Tash, you raise a lot of good points. I do have many return customers from year to year at events, some who even come both days, and having them week to week would be pretty awesome. I hadn't thought about this as an opportunity for that. I like the way you put the painting 5 faces in 5 hours...and it's not a disaster, especially if I get to see the movies at the drive-in Wink Thanks so much for the food for thought!

Thanks ladies! :-)
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:32 pm

You've given me some food for thought Lynne, I like your angle. My town only small (400ppl) and isn't that wealthy so festivals and ppf events are my bread an butter too - I do get some private bookings but all from exposure or word of mouth from these events. I was wondering how to keep thinks moving along in winter and I think I'll approach a few places with this offer. I'd rather be working than sitting around waiting for the phone to ring! would love to hear how this works out for you!
JBM
JBM

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2010-10-18

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Henna-by-Riana/149537191765171?ref

Back to top Go down

Post by squiggle Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:23 am

I did this for the corn maze Sat and Sun for 6 weeks last fall... we charged $5 per face and gave the owner $1 per face and they advertised us and made us a huge sign promoting us. After a couple of weekends they even had people calling to find out if we'd be there as they weren't going to go that weekend if we weren't there! So far I've gotten 8 parties and one corporate gig from it. We're set to go back again this fall. Some weekends were very busy and some were slower but we were always treated great and given an employee's discount on food, etc. My husband is unemployed at the moment so I'll take anything I can get at this time.
squiggle
squiggle

Number of posts : 787
Registration date : 2009-11-11

http://www.awesome-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lizdexia Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:59 am

You guys are great to listen to. I am trying so hard to get myself established here--been working on it about a year now, and we're in another of those horrid job market, no money moving places. We're in Wilmington, Ohio--our little town was in People magazine (my daughter actually got quoted) talking about how our DHL Hub closing just about ruined our town.
My husband is a psychologist with his doctorate even--and with all the financial woes, he's been obliged to do some extra pro bono (we won't turn anyone away with no help) so yeah, just about any money would be great right now. I totally hear you.
lizdexia
lizdexia

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.mamayagas.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BluAngL83 Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:13 pm

Ihop is having a kids eat free for dinner event (no idea when it expires). How about asking them?
I agree with Metina that painting at a "cheap" place may not be the way to go b/c most may not be able to afford your prices at the moment (I am assuming you charge $80 or more per hour). I painted at CiCis to gain speed and to memorize designs and found that most would almost have a heart attack when I told them I charged (then) $75-100/hr. Find restaurants that meet your market, even if they dont want to pay you at least you'll find clients and eat free Very Happy
BluAngL83
BluAngL83

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.heavenlyfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:37 pm

At least when you are counting faces and paying $1 a face to the venue you don't stand to lose booth fees, they only make $ if you make $ so they'll probably be very supportive.
chicneek
chicneek

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-07-24

http://danicafaceart.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down