Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Color choices for Split/Rainbow cakes?

3 posters

Go down

Color choices for Split/Rainbow cakes? Empty Color choices for Split/Rainbow cakes?

Post by Lady Jayde Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:41 pm

How do you guys come up with your color combos for your rainbow/split/whatever cakes? I've tried consulting my color wheels for color combinations and I've tried to utilize my scrapbooking books that address color combinations but I feel as if I'm flying blind. Is there a secret to the order of the colors in the cake? Are there colors that should be forever quarantied from each other? I'd like to do more that duplicate the cakes I've seen elsewhere but I'm not "there" yet.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Color choices for Split/Rainbow cakes? Empty Re: Color choices for Split/Rainbow cakes?

Post by eva Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:12 pm

When I decide to make a split I try to use similar colors...such as red/pink or red/orange...blue/purple...green/blue ..colors that wont be gross if the start to blend a little. For rainbows one thing i have notices is that yellow and blue or blue and orange next to each other make nasty colors in the middle when they blend. Of coarse I use snaz and it blends more than some other brands.
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Color choices for Split/Rainbow cakes? Empty Re: Color choices for Split/Rainbow cakes?

Post by Kristal Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:46 pm

I sometimes have specific things in mind - green/uv green/yellow/gold for leaves, red/pink/white for roses, pink/interferenze pink/gold/yellow for crowns, various blues/white for dolphins etc. I also admit to sneaking peeks at other split cakes for ideas on colour combos Razz
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:12 am

I just stick colours together that I would use for common designs... like white, pink, purple for butterflies. Or burgundy, red, orange and yellow for fire/dragons, etc.

Just put together what you think you will use.

The only thing I've noticed is that red and white beside each other tends to make the white a bit too pink... but then again, isn't that the idea of a split cake?

I've got a blog post about it with photos of the trays of split cakes I made myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:28 am

Thanks for the advice ladies! I think I'm going to follow suit and just put together combos that I like in my world outside of FP...that's the way I get dressed for work and I haven't made anyone sick yet...can't be all bad right? Laughing

It's going to take a while to get all of the colors I'd like...and it doesn't help that there are tons of posts that mention other fab colors I didn't know I wanted....oh well...a girls gotta have goals...
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down