Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GEMS: STICK ON VS SPIRIT GUM?

+7
MonsterKat
TheGildedCat
Miss Ronnie
1HappyNut
Ester K-D
summers4seasons
saloner
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GEMS: STICK ON VS SPIRIT GUM? Empty GEMS: STICK ON VS SPIRIT GUM?

Post by saloner Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:19 am

Does anyone care to share their thoughts on choosing the best stick on gems? Where is the most reasonably priced gems?
In my research, eye lash adhesive has latex and some people are allergic...so I am leery of that one. The spirit gum takes a while to set ( I don't know how long that set time is tho)....When you are in que.....must you sit holding the gem in place while waiting for it to dry? Then comes the paper backing....I wonder if it will stick very well on the paint. Will the child come back for another one cuz she raised her eye brows? lol Gee there is a lot to consider. Please tell me where you have chosen to purchase them and why.
Thanks loads;
Ramona
saloner
saloner

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2010-04-18

https://www.facebook.com/facepaintnmama1

Back to top Go down

GEMS: STICK ON VS SPIRIT GUM? Empty Re: GEMS: STICK ON VS SPIRIT GUM?

Post by summers4seasons Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:58 am

I use an assortment. I have some sticky back Snaz and really dislike them. They come off their sticky paper when u peel them from their page. I buy the scrapbook patterned jewels that I love! I do cover the adhesive latex free eyelash glue or my glitter tattoo glue. I also have some loose gems too, but they are difficult ti handle unless you have a sticky pen (which I LOVE). I always use a Qtip to clean the paint off a spot under the gem to make them stay better. It makes a huge difference. I also have an assortment of feathers I attach the same way-love it!

Good luck!
summers4seasons
summers4seasons

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2011-07-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ester K-D Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:24 pm

I've noticed that Michaels craft store has gotten a very nice selection of scrapbook bling. Not only are there starbursts, flowers, hearts but there are some lovely fancy swirls (clear diamond and coloured) that you can cut into smaller individual pieces (they are gum-rubber backed and I've found them to peel off easily and stick quite well on the face) They had some on sale this week for $4.00 and I got 12 from the double sheet. (these are stunning add-ons to eye designs) Michael's has on-line coupons as well...20% and/or 40% off.

Ester K-D

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2011-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by summers4seasons Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:59 pm

I use those from michaels. They are lovely! However, I coat the back with eyelash glue so they are applied with cosmetic grade adhesive.
summers4seasons
summers4seasons

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Sticky pen? What is this amazing invention you speak of?

I think I have heard of such a thing for tiny gems for nails... But wasn't sure if that was someone making their own thing, or something widely available to the public.

1HappyNut
1HappyNut

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:48 pm

AC Moore (do you have one nearby?) has a great assortment of scrapbbok gems...better than Michaels, I find. Check out the Queen & Co. brand... there are 60 gems on a little card in graduating sizes in the same color for I believe they were either $1.00 or $1.99.
Snazaroo's gems are pretty but it you are not super duper careful the gem will pull off the cardboard they're stuck on without bringing the adhesive with it.... total waste of time and money. Wal-Mart carries a decent pack of self-adhesive gems for $4.96...

Also, to answer your question about how well they stick to the face.... make sure the paint is dry when applying and give a nice firm press. I wore several last night to a big, crowed even where there was lots of jumping up and cheering...Never lost one all night long. But kids like to touch them and see if they'll come off.
geek
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Spirit gum is a pain in the naughty word to work with, you have to touch it to let it get tacky by mixing air into it to make it work appropriately and then you have spirit gum on your fingers and need spirit gum remover to clean it off. There is non-latex eyelash glue and pros-aide - both are fine for skin use. Plus, you can use Pros-aide for glitter tattoos and Halloween appliances/prosthetics. Pros-aide comes off with rubbing alcohol.

That said, Michael's has a great selection of sticky gems and they're often heavily marked down after major holidays.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by summers4seasons Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:51 pm

HappyNut, I got my sticky pen at Michaels in the scrapbook section. It is shaped like a big pen, but instead if ink it is filled with sticky tacky. Perfect for picking up/holding gems while you apply glue.
summers4seasons
summers4seasons

Back to top Go down

Post by Ester K-D Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:10 pm

Ooooooooo....a new toy!! Sticky pens....must check this out! this Forum has certainly broadened my horizons (and narrowed my pocketbook!) Smile

Ester K-D

Back to top Go down

Post by MonsterKat Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:00 pm

Is there any type of adhesive that comes off with water like face paint? I'm hesitant to add any bling to my designs (except for my own kids!) because I'd hate to have to explain to the parents that they'll need rubbing alchohol or something to remove it? Is that a weird thought?? lol
MonsterKat
MonsterKat

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by summers4seasons Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:07 pm

I guess it doesn't bother me since I do glitter tattoos too. They already need alcohol. Wink
summers4seasons
summers4seasons

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:15 pm

MommaKat, they can also use baby oil, olive oil, cold cream. Alcohol or an oil base product will remove it.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ester K-D Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm probably jumping from the frying pan into the fire with this posting. I didn't want to use spirit gum (my daughter said it was burned on her face) so at one mardi gras festival where I was doing masks....I used UHU glue stick to put a dab of glue on the forehead and then stick a/some small feather(s) into it. (I had tried this on my own face...walked around with feathers stuck to different parts of my face for a day with no negative reaction) and I knew that dabbed with a little water the glue softens and the feather comes off and then the glue is easily washed off. It says safe, washable, non-toxic on the tube...(apparently kids have eaten it, with no ill effects...according to my grade school teacher friend) There...my dirty secret is out....

Ester K-D

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:18 pm

EKD - in all reality, glue sticks are probably fine. The ingredients aren't abrasive or corrosive or irritating to skin. I use them to cover brows all the time. I like it better than wax in a pinch. It doesn't have the staying power of pros-aide or spirit gum or tellesis, so I wouldn't use it to hold on a prosthetic, but I would use it for the odd sequin or jewel that I didn't expect to stay on all night.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ester K-D Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:53 am

Thank you gilded cat! It's a great relief knowing that I haven't broken some dangerous no-no rule of face painting! I never thought of it for covering brows! thank you...

Ester K-D

Back to top Go down

Post by saloner Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:17 am

What is EKD? IS THAT SHORT FOR SOMETHING?
saloner
saloner

Back to top Go down

Post by saloner Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:32 am

I went to AC Moore. There is one over 2,000 miles from me, so ordering online is what i will have to do......I want to start out using "diamond" looking gems. but what size should I use for say a childs forehead 4mm,5mm,6mm,or 8mm. I don't know this for of measurement. Can someone help me out. I want to use it as the center piece for just above the brows. What size would you use? I think if I got them too small, it would be a waste of money.
saloner
saloner

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:59 am

I don't care for too big of a gem...especially on a little girl. The biggest I use...and I don't use it very often is just a little bigger than a pea. On little girls I mainly use small gems on anything princessy, mermaidish, the head of a butterfly or to embellish an eye design. Kids can't help but touch them (it's in their genes!) and they will come off if you play with them too much... so using a large one is too tempting for them... you can't afford to replace the larger ones when they walk up to you with teary eyes and tell you they lost their jewel...

But the package in Wal-Mart offers all different sizes...and like I said, $4.96... That's a better deal than paying shipping and handling for anything online.
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by saloner Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:12 am

so what do you attach these gems with? They fall off easily huh? Once you put (I think eye lash adhesive) the glue on, how long do you wait until it is secure? And does it adhere to the paint? I think it would be a waste of time to paint the design and then take a Q tip to remove the paint where the gem goes. Any ideas?
saloner
saloner

Back to top Go down

Post by Indigo Colors Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:58 pm

MommaKat wrote:Is there any type of adhesive that comes off with water like face paint? I'm hesitant to add any bling to my designs (except for my own kids!) because I'd hate to have to explain to the parents that they'll need rubbing alchohol or something to remove it? Is that a weird thought?? lol

There is Smile Kryolan Hydro Mastix...based on water so you can use this with children and it comes of with water. The normal mastix you have to remove with mastix remover and is not really suitable for children.

Indigo Colors

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-12-07

http://www.schminkmateriaal.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Ester K-D Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Chuckle Embarassed ....I'm EKD or formally E K-D (first name Ester....the K-D are the initialls of my hyphenated last name! Smile )
If you have a walmart close...check them out. I don't recomment the sets of gems where there are quite small ones as part of the set...unless you have the patience to use them on yourself (for advertising) etc. The "size of a pea" given is probably a good example...at least 1/4" accross/ 3/4cm ...anything smaller is awkward to handle and doesn't show up well. You can certainly use 'several' gems...but FPs must be time wise. I like the ones that are stuck to a plastic sheet (no tiny backing to try to peel off). I've even had these work quite well on slightly damp paint but a dab with kleenex will assure that the tiny spot is dry...and they stick quite well (kids - being kids...if they touch/play with it enough it will come off!...I use my smaller gems for 'replacements' if one is lost). Even dollar stores have some of this bling for scrapbooking! Try these first!! Good Luck! bounce

Ester K-D

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:26 pm

The weird tip of the week:
My youngest daughter Holland retrieved a capsule of squishy goo shaped like a flat gelatinous hand from one of those claw machines at the arena where she plays hockey. She was torturing the family with it before dinner...slap/grabbing her sisters' homework papers, throwing it at the wall and watching it momentarily stick and then yanking it off with much pleasure at the disgusting shlorpy noise as it let go of the wall. Holland threw it toward me and my facepaint practice head and got me with it. That was it. I peeled it off my face and said, "Thank you! It's MINE now.". I tossed it toward my open container of Swarovski crystals and little jewels we use for Facepainting at SickKids hospital. The squishy hand had jewels stuck to it. I picked up the squishy hand and realized it makes the most perfect applicator for those teeny, tiny little jewels. I squeeze out a tiny blob of non-latex eyelash glue and then I plop one of the crystals into the glue.
The gelatinous squishy hand resides in my FatMax. It works, in spite of the fact it is missing it's middle finger due to a FatMax accident.
I believe the squishy hands are available at hockey arenas with claw machine everywhere. When it gets disgustingly covered in fluffy scum from my case, I wash it with mild dish detergent and it becomes squishy & sticky again.
Lisa
fesspenter
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Ester K-D Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:34 pm

Lisa...that is hysterical (these things are available at the dollar store too - especially now they sell ones that are in the shape of little bloody footprints). You are a grand example of 'mother of invention'....you can make useful (litterelly) anything thrown at you!! Very Happy

Ester K-D

Back to top Go down

Post by elantaura Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:51 pm

that is genius but untill i get a sticky hand of foot I used a ds stylus. i touch the tip with prosaide very lightly it remains tacky for some time/applications then pick up gem with it place on head etc. my version of the sticky pen also learned when the kids placed the ds on table as I was packing away glitter tattoos and cleaning up.
elantaura
elantaura

Number of posts : 728
Registration date : 2011-08-22

http://suejuddfacepaintingandbodyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:14 pm

Dear Elantaura:
The DS stylus sounds like a more professional tool than my gelatinous squishy hand. I believe you have saved a lot of face painters from hanging out at hockey arenas and bowling alleys, commandeering the claw machine looking for those squishy thingies. Thank you so very much.
I was thinking of cutting off another one of its fingers and using only that to apply the jewels. I worry that Holland will ask for her squishy hand back and it's already missing one finger. I just can't do it.
A DS stylus would be cheaper to purchase than putting toonies into the claw machine. Also, I would be able to get a receipt and write it off. Claw machines don't give receipts.
Thank you!
Lisa
fesspenter
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next