Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Split cakes

5 posters

Go down

Split cakes Empty Split cakes

Post by Fantapants Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:58 am

Ok, so I haven't been painting for any where near as long as you guys Razz

I love split cakes, they're awesome. What I haven't used though (and what i see in your pics all the time) is the 2 tone big splits. I was just wondering if you could give me some examples of what you guys use them for?

Thanks !
Fantapants
Fantapants

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Split cakes Empty Re: Split cakes

Post by michellesfantasyfaces Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:17 am

for instant highlighting and shading..as in a dragonface..darker around the eyes, lighter on the eyebrows...yellow-orange for tigers..eyeshadow on eyes..I sponge the big splits..
michellesfantasyfaces
michellesfantasyfaces

Number of posts : 3190
Registration date : 2010-02-18

http://www.fantasyfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:32 am

For me, those serve a dual purpose - sometimes I use them as a split but more often than not it's just a way of getting more colours into my limited space. I'm really looking forward to having some 2-colour splits in the rectangular containers, it will be easier to use either colour individually or swipe both colours for a two-colour butterfly or a quick tiger because of the size and shape of the container.

When I went to a Wolfe brothers workshop, they said they like to have half regular and half neon of the same colour in one pot. I tried that for a little while but didn't really find it all that useful because I don't use a lot of neons except in multi-colour splits. So now I just put complimentary colours together, or colours that work well for a specific design (ie tiger).
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:18 am

Ditto what others have said. I made a whole bunch of splits for animals and they are very useful. brown/yellow - brown/tan - copper/gold(metallics) - orange/yellow - gray/white.... for "cat" animals like tigers and cheetahs I sponge an arch on the forehead to about the middle of the brow, flip the sponge and rest it under the eye and sponge a wedge between the eye and the nasal fold on both sides then take the lighter tip of the sponge and fill in the bridge of the nose and anywhere I missed. Then I just take a white filbert and fill in the muzzle and eyes with white and flick out wisps for the eyes. It also works for kitty if you just sponge ears instead of the whole forehead arch.

I tend to get holes in the middle of the two sides so remember if you are sponging just one color to try and take from the edge. Smile In addition to the "animal" ones I have purple/lilac, drk blue/royal blue (would probably use more with royal/light blue), dark green/light green, old gold/bronze (metallics), and a bunch of custom splits for butterflies, masks, dragon masks, rainbow-type animals, tigers etc.

D.
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Smiletime Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:30 am

I just made some orange/yellow ones for pumpkins and flames and dark blue/light blue for our school colors.
Smiletime
Smiletime

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2011-07-21

http://www.depacesfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down