Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glad about "Bad" Feedback :P

+4
1HappyNut
Perry Noia
debranewmanart
Kristal
8 posters

Go down

Glad about "Bad" Feedback :P Empty Glad about "Bad" Feedback :P

Post by Kristal Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:19 pm

I always ask new clients for feedback (not mandatory!) after their event, and have always gotten positive comments.

This is the first time I've gotten a response stating that one of the kids attending the party wasn't happy - and I'm okay with that! Very Happy

Back story:

I had a last minute booking for this past Sunday for 3 year old twins, and there was another set of twins there (boy/girl) who are 11. The girl was an absolute SWEETHEART - helped with the kids, waited until the little ones were finished, etc. Her brother severely tried my patience.

He spent most of the time I was face painting asking when I was going to do balloons, and whining about how long the faces were taking, and I kept giving him the same answers. When we finally move on to balloons he claims he was waiting forEVER - 5 minutes - and I made him wait until the birthday twins had picked their balloons. Then he said he had been waiting for 20 minutes. His grandma commented on how 5 minutes ago it was 5 minutes, and I commented that it just feels like years, doesn't it?

When it was fiiiinally his turn he first asked if he could get the giant beer mug hat (that is listed under the "Other stuff we can do - but not at birthday parties!" title), then, when I said no, spent a few minutes flipping through my flash cards asking how big each balloon was. I asked why he was so concerned about the sizes, and I think that's when he asked me why I was being so mean. I said I wasn't; I was just trying to understand.

He gets a Spiderman balloon in red and black instead of blue. Fine. He whines that he wants all black - fine, I say, but the faces only come in red. (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=222515817767096&set=a.222514797767198.65006.220636407955037&type=1&theater)

I make it, adding a white web that boys USUALLY love. He comes back (no thank you!) and asks if the web can go around Spidey's head instead.

Me: Why?
Him: Because.
Me: But that's going to make it look like he's been hanged.
Him: Yeah?
Me: I'm not going to do that.
Him: What? Why not?
Me: Because I don't want you to have a balloon that looks like he's been hanged!
Him: But I wanted it for a Facebook picture!
Me: That's too bad, then.
Him: Well, I didn't even know it came with a web. It's not in the picture.
Me: Fine. I can take it off it you want?
Him: ...no.

At some point, his sister came up to me and said, "I bet you're wondering how I can live with him." That girl is going to grow up with SUCH amazing patience, lol.

At any rate, this is the email I got back from Grandma who booked the party:

Hi Kristal
Everyone really enjoyed their time with you, with the exception of Erik. I am sure you remember him, he was the large boy that wanted the largest balloon you could make. I was really impressed with how you handled his rudeness. I am sure you get at least one child like him at every party. The twins really enjoyed having their faces painted and I am so pleased that Juliana eventually agreed to having her face done as well.
Thank you again, we will be sure to call you for future birthday party’s.

Truth be told, he's the first one to be that insufferable, but I'm so glad to hear that she thought I handled it well (I may have gotten a bit on the snippy side with him at one point), though I am disappointed that this 11-year old boy's parents were sitting less than 10' from me, and couldn't be bothered to rein their son in.

I have "This is a GOOD MANNERS ZONE" on my event boards - I'm thinking it's time to get it printed on a button, now!

Thanks for reading the ramble Smile
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Glad about "Bad" Feedback :P Empty Re: Glad about "Bad" Feedback :P

Post by debranewmanart Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:49 pm

Don't you love it when they ask the same question 20 times? I've solved that problem though. When they ask a second time, I say "I've already answered that question, do you have a different one?" Usually after hearing that once or twice they just quit entirely. Smile

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

https://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:33 pm

I just can't stand it when the annoying one's parent comes over and starts making the same stupid argument with me.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:24 am

Ooh, Debra, that's a good one! I normally just repeat it over and over and over...they'll get tired of it before I do Razz

Erin - yes. I know. Funny thing is, that still doesn't change anything...
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:40 am

That's a very diplomatic Grandma. And that's pretty positive feedback! WTG Grandma... except... Wait. If she KNEW this was going on, why didn't she step in and have a chat with him?
I'm disgusted by parents who pointedly ignore their children's rude behaviour. And yes, I'm a parent, so I can say that. Very Happy
Mine's far from perfect but she has manners (because I beat it into her... heh heh).
Well handled, Kristal.

My day job is at an elementary school and I'm with Debra, I usually give the older kids (9+) the, "Asked, and answered. Next!" bit and they stop. I'm fairly jokey with them though so they think nothing of my terse reply.
1HappyNut
1HappyNut

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bee Happy Design Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:04 am

I've got to learn to be a little more "silly" with kids like this too. Sounds like you handled it well and I'd say that review is a keeper since it shows you can handle it. Kids can be hard (but I always say parents are harder!) but only, well, 40% of the time?? LOL. I think you totally need that button too.
Bee Happy Design
Bee Happy Design

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2011-08-15

http://www.beehappyfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Taradoodles Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:20 am

..I got an annoying boy to shush and the mommy applauded me although I was shocked with myself. He was extremely annoying and rude and I didnt want to paint him, luckily he didnt want painted and was testing my limits the whole time. At the end of his sisters painting he looks straight at me (butterfly face) and says, "I dont like your face", then smirks. I fire right back- Well, I dont like your face either!
His jaw just dropped, his sister cracked up and his mom shrugged and shuffled them out of my tent as he was starting to whine- but IM not painted!
I felt horrified that I said what was on my mind, but luckily it didnt backfire on me.
such a hot day and my nerves were fried after that kid. you handled yours extremely well. congrats!! lol
Taradoodles
Taradoodles

Number of posts : 812
Registration date : 2011-04-03

http://www.taradoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bee Happy Design Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:28 pm

HAH~ Razz reminds me of the little girl a few weeks ago that decided she didn't like me either and told me and her mother so before I was done. She got up on her own and left, thankfully. It can be funny how kids choose to express their emotions sometimes. I think she really said that because I was telling her how to sit and to be still and she must have been cranky already. Or she was just a brat... whatever Rolling Eyes
Bee Happy Design
Bee Happy Design

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2011-08-15

http://www.beehappyfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Bratty kids usually have bratty, lazy or physically bullying parents. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, yk? Wink Sounds like you did a great job handling this boy even though that was supposed to have been the parents job. Too bad the g'ma couldn't have been more honest and included the rudeness of the parents, too.

I've only had one encounter so far with an extremely rude kid and his mother was clearly where he learned it from. I had no guilt whatsoever that I just happened to paint not such a great design on him.

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Painted Ink. Izzy Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:16 am

I have a poem that works for the older kids who can read... gives directions and explains what is not tolerated...
Go ahead & take your pick...

Use your imagination quick...

Faces or Balloons is fine...

Please form one single line...

One of each per person please...

Stay in line don't try to squeeze...

Please no pushing & no shoving...

We don't want to have to have mom come running...

If I have said not to push shove or fight more than once then I stand up... I am 5'11" and a large woman so it can be intimidating just to stand if it continues past that then I will get the hostess and have her deal with it.. I have been complemented on several times about my patience... I will answer questions until the cow come home but I will not tolerate rudeness.
Painted Ink. Izzy
Painted Ink. Izzy

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2011-06-26

http://www.faces-in-disguise.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down