Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wooo whoo!!! On a FP'G high!!

+15
Sparklyone
makin faces by synni
HappyVickery
deleted
Mandi from Tazzie
Creations
Tash
FlashM
helena
Stacia
debranewmanart
Arty-Farty Party
CottonKandyClown
Jody Rife
Rae
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wooo whoo!!! On a FP'G high!!  Empty Wooo whoo!!! On a FP'G high!!

Post by Rae Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:53 am

I actually survived my first official gig!!! Phew. Very Happy

Was a lil nervous going in, which I expected, no biggy. A little extra pressure....the mum was an ex face painter from a few years ago (yikes) but was all good. She, other parents and most importantly the kids were all happy!! YAY!!

I struggle with a shaky hand even when I'm not nervous so my line work was not what I would have hoped for, more than a few tear drops etc were more like blobs and a few other wibbly wobbly thingys, even the kids commented "gee she's really shaking" Rolling Eyes but overall wasn't too bad I guess. I did get better along the way and after the first hour had lost the shakes. I was most happy with getting through 20 kids in 2 hours. My speed was my biggest concern (beside the shaky hand) so managed to average 6 min a face. cheers Gave my split cakes a big work out!! They saved the day.

Picked up a few things I need to change or re think, so a good learning starter. Among them being, when you get home with pics and parent permission forms...makes sure you know who the hec little Johnny is and what you painted on him so you can make sure to use the right photos online!! Arrgghhh!!! So consequently these are the only photo's I can use for now. I managed to get a photo of every kid I painted!! I had my camera on the mirror so I had to pick up the two together each time. That worked really well, but beside being able to tally up how many I painted and check out my work later, it's pointless without those release forms.

The biggest concern out of the day was my back!! I know, I know, I've read countless threads on this. I stand at about 5 8", so from what I've read, directors chairs work well. Really??? Ugghh, my back was killing me!!! Maybe I just need to get in shape... well actually, no maybe about it, I do have to get in shape!! lol But is it something your muscles get used to?? I found myself bending bending bending ALL THE TIME, from chair to table. Just not happy Jan (Aussies will get that one) Mmmmm not lovin my directors chair right now. Have to re think that one.

LOVED the kids and our little chats, made me so happy. Very Happy

So overall a great start....really need to work on my marketing now to get some more gigs!!!

Thanks for the rant... went on a bit. Here's the pics (and thanks to the bird theme of the week and Silkeh, I used this little bird twice today, and a version of Daizy's floral design around my eye, hope you girls don't mind) oh and that was the other thing that surprised me, I only repeated two faces, everyone else chose a different face, wasn't expecting that. It was an eight yr old girls party, so was actually expecting them to all copy each other. Wrong again!

Enjoying a bevvy to relax my muscles, gunna be so sore tomorrow! Sad

Trying to warm up my hand before going to the party. Decided to leave it on just coz it was pretty : )
Wooo whoo!!! On a FP'G high!!  P1030716

Wooo whoo!!! On a FP'G high!!  P1030719

Wooo whoo!!! On a FP'G high!!  P1030720
Rae
Rae

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2011-02-09

http://www.raesfx.com

Back to top Go down

Wooo whoo!!! On a FP'G high!!  Empty Re: Wooo whoo!!! On a FP'G high!!

Post by Jody Rife Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:02 am

Sounds like you had an awesome time. Your work is beautiful. Smile
Jody Rife
Jody Rife

Number of posts : 1725
Registration date : 2011-02-19

http://www.jodyrife.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:09 am

I love that peacock design Smile

The first gig is always the worst! By the 5th, you've got it all down pat Smile It's more of an excited feeling from then on! I always look forward to gigs and can't wait to start painting Smile
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Arty-Farty Party Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:46 am

Your work is fabulous! I hope you asked the mum to put your business card in each of the loot bags! (put removal instructions on the back and you'll have a great reason) I get many bookings this way!
I dont want to detract from the main point of you post (which is the super great job you did at this party) but... since you brought it up...
What chair have you got and where did you get it? I cant find a tall directors chair. Not happy Jan! ( cheers Yay for country-specific humour!)

Ps- did I mention I love your work? Very Happy
Arty-Farty Party
Arty-Farty Party

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by debranewmanart Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:00 am

Love the floral on your arm. Very bright and attractive!

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

https://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks Jody, it was alot of fun : )

CottonKandy, it's was the easiest one I did for they day, and she loved it! So effective.

Arty Farty (love that name btw) Thank you, goodness I'm blushing. So much yet to learn, but getting there in baby steps. : ) Just gotta get working! I think that'll help heaps. lol Here's the link
http://www.redwrappings.com.au/product/Tall-Directors-Chair-1001392
It's good for the price. Don't know how long it'll last since it's wood and not as sturdy etc as I imagine others would be. NOT tall enough, for me anyways. You might even find mine on EBAY soon if I can't build a better rapor with it lol!
Rae
Rae

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:09 am

oh, thanks debra! : )
Rae
Rae

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:28 am

YAY Rae! I'm so happy for you, sounds like it went well cheers!

My advice is regarding the model release form, when I made mine I took a cue from Shannon Fennel's form he has in her "Free resources to share" link in her signature. She has a portion of it that you fill out that describes what the kid got painted, what color clothing they are wearing, age, etc. Really helps with sorting out the pics.
BTW, I LOVE the arm painting!
Stacia
Stacia

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2010-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/BoiseFacePainting

Back to top Go down

Post by helena Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:31 am

Lovely work! Love your arm design - beautiful!

Very Happy
helena
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by FlashM Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:22 am

Very nice work!

This might help you-I take an NSAID like Aleve before my long gigs to ward off back stiffness and soreness.
FlashM
FlashM

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:52 pm

reading your post took me back to me first couple of gigs... I had completely forgotten about the shaking hands!..... nowadays they only shake when I'm running a bit late and have had to run a mile with my stuff and set up at hanudred miles an hour.

You look so lovely with your paintings on! I can't believe this is your first gig...

Why are all the good Aussie painters so far away from me?.... move to Sydney would ya? xxx so glad it went well for youxxxx
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:55 pm

ok - Rae the link to the chair is saying they are out of stock.
There is a beauty store near me that sells them in store and online for about $99 - I will search for the link.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Creations Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:58 pm

You can buy them on ebay- in Aust, when I looked last time they were about $130 + postage. Hope this helps.
Creations
Creations

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2011-08-01

http://creationsfaba.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:35 pm

Thanks ladies. Very Happy Feeling good about it all. Also feeling my back today!! hehehe and Stacia, can you believe I did have that info on the form, but my brain was in overdrive in those two hours and I just didn't think of it till I got home. I even forgot which way a dolphin fin goes for a lil while!!! lol I just stood there going, ummmm which way does my brush need to go!!!

Tash, love Sydney, such a fun city....i'll have to look you up if I ever get back there : )
Rae
Rae

Back to top Go down

Post by Arty-Farty Party Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:31 pm

yay! I found one on ebay for $107 with free postage
There's one left http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220836138277
I'm not ultra confident given your bad experience with it but hopeful as so many people here are using them successfully so I'll give it a go!
Thanks Rae and Tash Smile
Arty-Farty Party
Arty-Farty Party

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:48 pm

Hip hip hooray for you Rae, so glad you have number one under your belt. Love the pics you shared with us your arm design is gorgeous. I agree with Tash it's hard to believe it's your first gig with painting like that. I just know this is going to be the start of something big for you, you have talent!!!!

I deceided not to get the wooden directors chair cause I thought it would weigh too much for when I had to carry it to gig's etc. So I went with an aluminium makeup chair which is sooo light & folds like the wooden ones. This is the one I got http://www.makeupandglow.com.au/Makeup-Chair-Aluminium-p-16783.html. It's awesome. I did a 7hr gig yesterday & when I finished there I had another 2 hr gig. I came home exhausted & my back was a bit sore, but I'm back to normal this morning. I have been doing Yoga lately which I think has been really good for stretching my body. So happy for you, your on you way girl xxxxxxx
Mandi from Tazzie
Mandi from Tazzie

Number of posts : 1826
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.mandifacepaintingsupplies.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by deleted Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:26 pm

Congrats on your first gig! Love those flowers on your arm.

For the release forms, my method is just to write the photo's file name (my camera will name the photo "100_2837" or something like that) on the release form so that it's easy to identify which photos go with which form. You just have to jot down a few numbers so it's super quick and easy.

Last edited by Tamara Kay on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total

deleted

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyVickery Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:42 pm

Congrats on the gig!!! The pictures you posted look great! I love the bird Smile

I just bought a directors chair yesterday from Amazon, but i'm super short, only 5'3'' so I don't think I'll have to bend (finger's crossed). By the way, I got mine on Amazon for $39. . .I didn't want to spend a fortune in case I hate it. I'll have to make a new back piece for it, but other than that seems like it will be okay. Have to wait until it arrives Smile Here is the link if anyone else is looking for one.

http://www.amazon.com/On-The-Edge-816011T-Director/dp/B0020UFI64/ref=pd_sbs_op_5
HappyVickery
HappyVickery

Number of posts : 538
Registration date : 2011-05-31

http://www.smileyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Tamara Kay wrote:For the release forms, my method is just to write the photo's file name (my camera will name the photo "100_2837" or something like that) on the release form so that it's easy to identify which photo goes with which form. You just have to jot down a few numbers so it's super quick and easy.

Easier, at least in my opinion, is you only take photos if the form is signed first. Then, any photos you have you can use. No signed form, no photos are taken. Period.

If I do something cool and no parent is around to sign the photo permission, we don't take one. I'll try to duplicate the design later.

Back to top Go down

Post by makin faces by synni Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:47 pm

how can this be your 1st party? your painting is awesome! think some of us Aussies like to think things through to much lol.(my self included)
makin faces by synni
makin faces by synni

Number of posts : 682
Registration date : 2010-03-15

http://	facebook.com/synni80

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Wow, your work is gorgeous and I can't believe it's your first gig, either! I love you Your client looks so happy with her pretty face! Very Happy

I'm 5'9" and use a tall director's chair, also. What helps me is using a 36" counter-height folding table so I don't have to bend to my supplies, a super firm and thick toss pillow to raise kids about 5" in my chair, and a folding step stool so I don't have to hoist anyone in/out of the chair. And yes, Advil both before and after every gig!

Congrats on a job very well done! flower

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by nancy! Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:08 am

YEAHHHHH!!!! You did it!
bounce Great job Rae. Sounds like you blew them away. 20 in 2 hours WOW. And then painting quality designs.

I know that shaky feeling and forgetting about everything. Last time I painted at my work, the first kid asked for a puppy. Eehhh, a puppy, my head thinking thinking, what does a puppy look like...it all came back soon lol.
About your chair/table: I put my chair on the left side of the table, so my right hand (painting hand) is close to the table, so I don't have to twist each time. It makes a difference to me.
Ready for much more gigs now I think?
nancy!
nancy!

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Jazz Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:17 am

Well done Rae, i know exactly what you mean with the shaky hands! I went through the exact same thing this weekend too, my daughters daycare had an open day and they had face painting there, figuring it would be a great opportunity to get some good practice with all the pressure of parents/kids and multi designs i volunteered. The first face i did was my daughters and i was shaking rediculously, and then after that i swear i must have been forgetting to blink or something cos my eyes were watering like crazy i was like.... what the?

As for the seating, ive yet to try standing up and painting but definitely think it would be worth the investment, i was sitting on a bench that was about a foot off the ground for a couple of hours before i thought to get up, my left knee had almost ceased up and my back while not sore was definitely stiff.

I also just looove that "warm up" painting, i wish i was even half as good as that!
and the "not happy jan" that nasally voice just comes straight back to mind like i heard it just yesterday...
Jazz
Jazz

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2011-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by AUSSIE3070 Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:49 am

makin faces by synni wrote:how can this be your 1st party? your painting is awesome! think some of us Aussies like to think things through to much lol.(my self included)

you are sooooo right! I am so hard on myself...my husband roles his eyes and tells me I am such a perfectionist and just get out there for god sake!!!

Btw I love love love ur name.... Do you want to start a franchise? hee it is the best name I have seen so far xo
AUSSIE3070
AUSSIE3070

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2010-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:54 am

Thanks Mandie : ) My chair is actually 2cm higher than that one from seat height, so I'll stick with it. I have brain stormed a solution, so can't wait to try it out. Just need a gig! Man, are you kidding!!! 7 hrs followed by 2 hrs, I'd be bed ridden for days!! lol

Thanks Tamara & Vickery. Shannon, I think I'll start that same method of with the pics.

Synni, yep you got it. Also didn't want to go out until I was happy with what I was doing. : )

Kym, thank you, and that gorgeous little bundle is actually my niece who was also invited to the party.

Nancy, yay finally. Can't wait for more gigs but gotta start working on my marketing!! My table was actually set up to my right when I was painting (you're very observant!!) I just spun the chair around to get the happy birthday sign in the background. hehehe

Thanks Jazz, glad you're getting out there too!! Sitting on a bench a foot off the ground sounds like agony!
Rae
Rae

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next