Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with staying cool this summer*****

+3
debranewmanart
nancy!
Evelyn
7 posters

Go down

Help with staying cool this summer***** Empty Help with staying cool this summer*****

Post by Evelyn Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:35 pm

Hello

I thought I would share an idea that works nicely to help keep you cool

My wonderful state of Florida has no monopoly on hot and muggy this summer, and we are all in the same boat.

This involves a bit of sewing, and here is the idea:

Make a tube of fabric using unbleached muslin or a thin flannel about 4-5 inches wide and sew a tappered end on the first side. sew across the tube about 6 inches from the end and start adding Miracle Gro water storing crystals (Walmart) and place 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon in a compartment, sew across to lock that in. Make each compartment about 4 inches long and add crystals to each compartment, sew and lock them in and then sew closed the final end.
The crystals are inert and do not contain any fertilizer or chemicals, they are just meant to hold mositure. They look like coarse salt, but a teaspoon can puff up and fill a four ounce cup.

Soak it briefly in ice water and wring it out and put it around your neck. You can have two and keep one on ice to replace when you need to do that. Be careful not to put more crystals in that what I recommmended as they really expand a lot. Let it dry when not in use to prevent mold. I think a round one would be good under a hat as well.

KEEP THE CRYSTALS AWAY FROM SMALL CHILDREN AND PETS AS THEY MIGHT THINK IT IS SUGAR AND EAT SOME AND IT MAY CAUSE CHOKING.

I made these one time for a childres' art class in my gallery and they painted cold things on one side and warm things on the other and gave them to moms for Mother's day. They can be warmed for warm compresses too.

Hope this suggestion helps you stay cool the rest of summer. sunny

Evelyn

Evelyn

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Help with staying cool this summer***** Empty Re: Help with staying cool this summer*****

Post by nancy! Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:39 pm

hmm I just put on some extra clothing because it's so cold over here. Summer, but cold, grey and rainy tiil now. I will go for the warm option.
Thanks anyway Very Happy
nancy!
nancy!

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Back to top Go down

Help with staying cool this summer***** Empty Re: Help with staying cool this summer*****

Post by debranewmanart Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:52 pm

That's a very neat idea, might have to try it.

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

https://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:57 pm

That's a great idea!!!

We've been using window fans (those thin ones that have two fans in them) and we squirt ourselves with our bottles and stand in front of the fans. I like your idea better. It seems to last longer. Smile

Also, interestingly, that is the same way I made my gardening pad for my knees, except I used dried, crushed peas. I've mixed lavender with the peas and made microwavable heat compresses that way too. Sooo soothing across the eyes for a sinus headache. Smile

Thanks so much! I'm going to try it. Smile
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by helena Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:42 pm

Nice idea! Love the idea of them painted as gifts for the little ones' parents too Smile
helena
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mommyof5Busykids Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:20 pm

I have one I bought for work but they are so worth it. I have to say they were a life saver. on a 100 Degrees day they really help you stay cool.
Mommyof5Busykids
Mommyof5Busykids

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:43 pm

Thank you for the info Evelyn!!! I just painted out at the farmer's market all day & BOY was it hot! My pressed powders are a lifesaver!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down