Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Line management strategies - help!

+6
Perry Noia
Arty-Farty Party
CrazyPainter
AngieAnders
Skidzz
Sparklyone
10 posters

Go down

Line management strategies - help!   Empty Line management strategies - help!

Post by Sparklyone Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:49 pm

I have a big gig coming up and would be grateful for any line management techniques. How do you take a potty or lunch break? When and how do you place the "last person in line" sign on a child when the line is continously long and growing? TIA for any help or advice! alien

Sparklyone

Number of posts : 474
Registration date : 2011-02-25

Back to top Go down

Line management strategies - help!   Empty Re: Line management strategies - help!

Post by Guest Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:00 pm

I don't use a "last in line" sign... It isn't worth the headache when they let people in front of them, take it off and leave, etc.

I post signs stating the times I am painting for and the time of the last face to be painted (i.e. bum in the chair) and I stick to it.

I also have a sign that explains how long it takes to paint a face and that it is their decision to wait based on that.

I have examples on my resources page of the signs I use.

If I need a potty break (rare) it is generally on large/long gigs and there is someone with me to keep an eye on things. I don't take "breaks" but will stop for a second to take a drink or munch on something on a long gig.

Back to top Go down

Line management strategies - help!   Empty Re: Line management strategies - help!

Post by Skidzz Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:53 am

I had the same question... Last night I was looking up some things on youtube, and the fabatv thing had put tips and tricks from several of the people on there, can't remember at the moment which one it was, but what he does is sets a timer for so many minutes before the end of his gig, and when it goes off he will stop his painting go to the end of the line, paint a 1 on the hand of the child and continue until he gets back to his set up... that way he knows how many he has left to paint at all times, and won't go past that last one. I thought that was pretty good. Gonna try it. If it doesn't work out I am going to try another idea I have...

but good luck!!!
Skidzz
Skidzz

Number of posts : 499
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.facepaintingcolorado.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:07 am

That's a great idea - I think I will try that! Thanks so much for sharing! Still trying to figure out how to tactfully take a potty break.... alien

Sparklyone

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:54 pm

At long events when I absolutely have to potty, I'll just stop after I've finished a child and tell the next one to have a seat, and I'll be right back. Nothing else for it when you have to use the bathroom. I drink water while painting, and chew beef jerky or a granola bar while kids are getting settled in my chair. People are very understanding when they know you've been there all day.

At quitting time if I have a long line I will judge the amount of time I need to finish, and mark kids' hands with numbers as mentioned above. It works quite well, aside from having to explain numerous times to newcomers that they cannot get painted without a number, and it's too late to get a number. (I'm sure that putting out a sign would solve this problem.)

If I have a tent, I can draw the group into the tent if it isn't too big a crowd, and rope the sides off. I have ropes with magnets on the ends that attach to the tent legs, and a sign in the middle saying that I'm closing.
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyPainter Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:08 am

I've often wondered about doing some sort of "take a number" thing. Say you have about 20 or 30 of these chits...painted numbers on a poker chip or something. No chip - no paint.

Then just stop giving them out about a half hour before your end time.

CrazyPainter

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:09 am

Oh I like the numbered chips, that's a great idea! I just printed and laminated two different signs after being inspired by a sign on the Signature Glitter website.

My potty break sign says:

Lucky me, I’m the last one!
THE LINE IS TEMPORARILY CLOSED

The artist will be taking a short break.
NO CUTTING IN LINE:
You will not be served unless the artist has given you a number!

My end of gig sign says:

Lucky me, I’m the last one!

THE LINE IS CLOSED
The artist has another engagement.

NO CUTTING IN LINE:
You will not be served unless the artist has given you a number!

Sparklyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Arty-Farty Party Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:38 am

I had a big outdoor gig and thought I'd be a bit clever with my line management... I put out a beautifully framed sign and a carefully ordered deck of cards (ace to 10 in each suit). Each person took the top card and I collected it when they were seated then I simply called out for the next card in sequence. The system worked beautifully for a time until some joker came along and shuffled the deck! I had 25 or more people standing around with random cards, no line, no order, no hope! I nearly cried.
Live and learn!
Arty-Farty Party
Arty-Farty Party

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2011-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:41 am

Oh my goodness, what a great idea gone bad! :::::hugs:::::: I love you

I'm going to try the numbered poker chips and keep them in my apron pocket. I'll report back to let you know how it goes! Smile

Sparklyone

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:15 am

I have used numbered stickers before, just blank round labels with a sharpie is all you need. I have also used face paint to number the kids' hands, that works too.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by bluebunneh Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:37 pm

The two times I've painted faces at events ( one a school festival and the other a Skating Rink ) I had everyone write their names down and hollered for them when their time came so they could play instead of standing in line the entire time. Is there a better way to do this?? What if the kids aren't in yelling distance? Wish I could buy those buzzing disc restaurants give ya lol
bluebunneh
bluebunneh

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2011-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:48 pm

I usually have a sign and at the end I cover it with a line closed sign and stick it at the back of the que. I then keep bringing it in closer so no one can squeeze in.
Usually my husbands will come around to help pack up and he is pretty good at keeping it under control, or if he is painting with me I usually have him stop before the end of the line and he sorts it all so I can quickly do the last ones myself (he will often start packing up too to make it really obvious!
Daizy
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:43 pm

I have found the numbering from the back of the line up to the front as method works well. Somewhere I read the following tip that I use at events (not parties) I book myself. (Or where I have permission from the agent.) I add a little sign that says what time I am contracted until. The last 15 minutes or so, when my line has been truly closed for awhile and people have been refused already, I may replace it with my "We have been contracted until ___pm. Unfortunately we may be unable to do "just one more" at the end of that time due to a back-to-back booking. In the event we are available, we will be painting at a rate of $____per face past that time."

The 4th of July I got a "former clown" who chatted me up & then told me (as I was packing up) that his daughter wanted painted, but there was a line and surely I could do "just one more" now...(which is not fair to the children who didn't get in line in time). I smiled and said sure, here's how it works, pointing to the sign, as Mom and daughter walked up. When they asked Dad if she could get painted, he replied that I was closed. He he.

anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sparklyone Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:51 pm

Love it and will be using! Thanks for sharing! I love you

Sparklyone

Back to top Go down

Post by babytwiggy Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:18 pm

I know this sounds super simple compared to other suggestions, but it works for me. I simply look up every once and awhile and say "I will be with all of you as soon as possible". It worked in retail and the restaurant biz and it works in face painting. It gives people in line some hope I guess, that way they don't feel like just a number.
babytwiggy
babytwiggy

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:41 pm

unfortunately, saying that you will be with all of them won't END your line.... I think the issue we have most of the time is keeping people from getting us to do "just one more" ... at a party, it's no big deal... with ppf, it's just more money... it's the "free to the public" events when we are supposed to be done by a certain time and the event organizers are nowhere to be found, etc.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by babytwiggy Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:47 pm

No, but it helps keep people patent when you have to go on a potty break or if it's hot out it keeps people from being overly cranky.
babytwiggy
babytwiggy

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down