Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tried a different approach to line management

+10
Affordable Face Magic
Tineke
monna
Miss Ronnie
A New Face
artyfacesbyluz
pinkundies
Katurah
Denise Cold
msbecky
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tried a different approach to line management Empty Tried a different approach to line management

Post by msbecky Fri May 31, 2013 6:56 am

Every May (3 years running) I have face painted for a local Christian school's spring fundraiser. A friend of mine is the marketing director and several of my friends from my church have children that attend there.

Anyway, we noticed that all the kids were waiting in line as long as it takes to be painted by us (sometimes over an hour or more) meaning during that time, they weren't visiting any other booths and using tickets to earn money for the school. This year, we implemented a system similar to Disney's "Fast Pass" where the family signed their kids in and were given a return between time. I made up labels with 30 minute time ranges and had my line manager hand each patron a business card with the return times on it. When the family returned, he checked the names off the list, and I painted a check mark on the card (so if it was dropped we wouldn't have line jumpers).

It worked out amazingly. We painted more people this way somehow, they were happier because the kids could be off playing rather than waiting in line and getting antsy and I was able to schedule meal breaks for all my staff into the return time system!

It only works with a dedicated line manager, but it did work VERY well. Not to mention, EVERY patron received a business card. Many probably threw them away, but you never know!

Becky

Last edited by msbecky on Fri May 31, 2013 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixed a typo)

msbecky

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Http://www.fantasticfacesbybecky.com

Back to top Go down

Tried a different approach to line management Empty Re: Tried a different approach to line management

Post by Denise Cold Fri May 31, 2013 10:31 am

So everyone had an appointment? Was there a non-assigned line also?
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Tried a different approach to line management Empty Re: Tried a different approach to line management

Post by msbecky Fri May 31, 2013 11:53 am

No, there was no line for "stand by's" per se, but if there was no one waiting that had an appointment (for instance when they dropped candy from the helicopter) we took people without appointments. The parents loved it.

I was nervous to try it, but I've done it for 2 big events now (my YMCA's healthy kids expo and the Christian School) and it's been great. We never had a moment where we weren't painting, the guests just didn't have to wait in line as long. I was still personally painting 10-15 guests per hour, and my team slightly fewer (they are newer and still getting their speed down).

msbecky

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Http://www.fantasticfacesbybecky.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Katurah Fri May 31, 2013 9:39 pm

This sounds awesome! Thank you for the tip Becky!
Katurah
Katurah

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2012-03-12

http://www.katurahpaintspeople.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by pinkundies Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:16 pm

Ooh I'd be so scared to try that.. I'd be afraid parents would just be mad if they had to wait when they returned. We all know how they are. Glad it worked out for you!
pinkundies
pinkundies

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-07-21

http://www.sweetcheeksfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:34 am

That will only work at PRIVATE events.

I tried a system like that, at the client's insistence, at a busy mall.... total waste of time and materials. All tickets/time slots were taken within 30 minutes.... I had people line up in a stand-by line once they were all gone and ended up painting everyone in the line by the end of the day as NO ONE WITH A TICKET CAME BACK at their designated time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Katurah Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:39 am

Shannon Fennell wrote:That will only work at PRIVATE events.

I tried a system like that, at the client's insistence, at a busy mall.... total waste of time and materials. All tickets/time slots were taken within 30 minutes.... I had people line up in a stand-by line once they were all gone and ended up painting everyone in the line by the end of the day as NO ONE WITH A TICKET CAME BACK at their designated time.

That would be my one fear about this..
Katurah
Katurah

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2012-03-12

http://www.katurahpaintspeople.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:25 pm

It won't work at a fair or any Pay Per Face, as the client will leave and won't come back, they can find another painter or have ice cream instead.
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by A New Face Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:01 pm

I think in the end those who want painted will wait, otherwise... I faced an 8 hour day with a constant line by myself, I finally had to just stop and say sorry but I gotta go take a break and they all waited for me to pee, wash my hands scarf down a p.b and j and chug a mt dew. I am a one person show AND FEEL SO PUSHED AT TIMES, BUT HEY I STILLL LOVE TO DO THIS. I am still in my first year without the luxury of assistance, any advice?
A New Face
A New Face

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2012-11-05

http://anewfacenikkiwalters.wix.com/anewface

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:08 am

Get used to it. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by A New Face Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:31 am

Ha Ha kinda figured, I just zone out and don't look up lol. At one point I was painting a lovely rainbow fairy looked up and saw 15 ppl waiting I decided starburst and dots were a necessity. I refuse to rush and know what I AM CAPABLE of. I average 20 full faces in a hurry I think that's fine, more or less depending on design.
A New Face
A New Face

Back to top Go down

Post by A New Face Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:32 am

This was PPF and not hourly, if I am doing hourly I totally am capable of skipping the extras..... but it hurts!!!!
pale
A New Face
A New Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:31 am

Dear A New Face;
I'm a one woman show, too... for both face painting and glitter tattoos. Wish I had someone to work for me but I can't afford it this year. I work through hunger pangs and aching body parts but will not hold my "pee-pee" (hope no one is offended!) for very long!

My system for festivals and fairs is rather easy but effective - I cut bright green colored foam sheets into equal squares (I use decorative border scissors) and number them (front & back) with a Sharpie. I place them in a cute treasure/jewelry type box that has a hinged lid (and a clasp to secure it when storing)... I have a note that I printed out and place that inside the upper lid of the box. It says to "Take the next number and wait for your number to be called....etc." (I also put my business cards in their holder inside the box next to the foam numbers) and then when I call their number the hand me the foam square and I put it on the stacked numbers of the kids I already painted - that way I can just look at the stack and call out the next number. For several of my events I make sure I am close to a tree that offers shade - then, when it's really hot (like this past weekend was - I yell to those gathered in front of the tent that they can take a number and go wait in the shade and keep their ears open. I have a strict rule about people gathering inside my tent that aren't with the customer I'm painting or tattooing. Too many people in the tent makes for too much body heat and I explain that nicely.

....As for adding dots and starbursts - I never skimp or skip these when it is pay per face.... I give them their money's worth. But you should have a smaller limited menu that offers 2-3 minute fast faces that still pack an impressive punch withtout all the little details.
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by monna Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:24 pm

hey i have done it for years!!! ... i was raised in "family" restaurants and food trailers... we are so busy...we forget we are hunger or need to pee... if we notice...then that is because it has slowed down...lol.. so i have been trained for this...for years and years.... since i was 9...
monna
monna

Number of posts : 324
Registration date : 2012-07-05

https://www.facebook.com/nanamonnasfacepainting

Back to top Go down

Post by Tineke Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:33 am

I used to give numbers, and call for the next number... what this resulted in (time and time again) was this:
after hours of painting, I'm cleaning up my stuff, and a mother with her kid come to me with number 15 (that hasn't showed up when it was anounced hours ago) and demands to be painted because I gave their kid a number, which means they can get painted.
Nowadays I don't hand out numbers anymore, all I do is when the time is nearly done, I give out cards to the last kids that can get painted.
Tineke
Tineke

Number of posts : 524
Registration date : 2012-07-02

http://www.tinekesgrime.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:54 am

Look what I got @ IKEA yesterday:
Tried a different approach to line management Img_1216

I finally found an unbreakable mirror ($9.99)  AND it has a fabric-covered foam design around it that looks magical. It can:
~ stand alone when opened
~ get knocked over w/o breaking
~ be left @ the tent exit to move the line along
I really enjoy holding the mirror, but next week, will be doing a huge event where I've been paid my Hrly rate so the Face Painting is free for customers. That guarantees long lines & I need to move them out of the chair ASAP. I'll be on to the next child, while the looking & picture taking is happening elsewhere.
ALSO...found construction vests for $2.99 (child) & $3.99 (adult). Plan on putting
"LINE CLOSED" on the back.

Tried a different approach to line management Img_1217
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Number of posts : 846
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.affordablefacemagic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:04 am

Dear Affordable Face Magic:
I love that mirror.
I have it, too.
I put a bungee cord through the top hole and I attach it to the corner of my tent. I fold the "doors" of the mirror back around my tent pole so the mirror doesn't move as much.
My business cards are in the pockets.
I leave the bungee cord attached so when I stand it on a table, it doesn't fall as easily when bumped into, or when children try to grab the mirror, it doesn't move as easily. If outdoors and set up on a table, I bungee it to a water container so the wind doesn't blow it over.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:11 am

OH...COOL! Was just trying to figure that out. Had planned the business card bit, but the bungee cord & folding the "doors" around the tent leg is perfect. Thank you so much. I hope some of you have access to IKEA. This type of mirror (not glass) is much safer, but hard to find & it was the right price.
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:36 am

There is also an acrylic mirror at IKEA with a soft alligator running along the long upright side of the mirror. I bungee cord the mirror so that it makes people appear thinner in the mirror.
I know that I am cheating.

xoxo
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by Affordable Face Magic Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:41 am

AHHHH, but what a kind hearted cheat. Sad to say, the only other mirror was oval w/lime green foam around it in kind of a "tribal" form. Very pretty, smaller to lug around, but couldn't hang it for long before kids would rip it apart & no way to prop it because of the uneven swirls of foam.
Affordable Face Magic
Affordable Face Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:51 am

I have the same mirror! When I'm painting a high volume gig, I use it to have them move quickly from chair to mirror. At PPFs, I will usually show them in the little mirror, and then tell them to go with mommy or daddy and look and look in the big giant mirror. All kids (and especially shy ones) really appreciate the opportunity to go look for themselves, as long as they like. It's a great mirror. IKEA used to make an even longer one, but it's not stocked anymore. I'm keeping my eye out for one.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:52 am

Fess, I posted before I read yours. Can you still find the alligator one at Ikea?

JJJJJ

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:45 pm

I have not checked for the alligator mirror in IKEA. The next time I am in... I will check for you JJJJJ. What state do you reside in? I am a stalker.
xoxo
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Fessie - I live in New York. Long Island, to be exact. The beaches are beautiful, but the humidity will ravage you (yesterday's "festival" was conducted in 95 degrees, and my blithe optimism underwent a melting- designs-on-the-faces-as-I-was-painting-them reality blow. I know, I know. I'd read it all here before about not painting in the high heat. But refer back to that "blithe optimism" for the one-time reason why I did this. There is a comical-tragical long story about yesterday's fest, with me as the tragic non-heroine, but I am still too wiped to write it). Oh, back to the stalker thing. So I live on Long Island and you may stalk me any time. If you are ever in town, let me know. I have an extra-large bag of blue glitter from a severe over-ordering crisis when the NY Giants won the playoffs and I was going to make a month's income on glitter tattoo application during the Superbowl (another story with me as the tragic non-heroine!). I will sprinkle it on you if you stalk too close.

JJJJJ

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:20 pm

Oooh!
I LOVE glitter!!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next