Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Face Paint Recall

+3
Perry Noia
Heather Timmons
kyfaceandbodyart
7 posters

Go down

Face Paint Recall Empty Face Paint Recall

Post by kyfaceandbodyart Wed May 13, 2009 10:24 am

Hi all,
Just wanted to let you know, that I saw on the news this morning about a cheap face paint sold by Fun Express, was being recalled due to severe reactions to the paints. I didn't catch all the details, but they said the paint was made in China and sold by Fun Express. The reactions included severe rashes. That's about all I got off the news. I just wanted to let you all know, in case someone asks.

Here is a link to the recall:
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2009/NEW02015.html

Last edited by kyfaceandbodyart on Wed May 13, 2009 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added website link)
kyfaceandbodyart
kyfaceandbodyart

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Face Paint Recall Empty Re: Face Paint Recall

Post by Heather Timmons Wed May 13, 2009 1:54 pm

Thank you Stacey!

Ugh, even with it being specifically listed as to the brand...that's not cool to have bad facepainting press!
Heather Timmons
Heather Timmons

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2008-09-28

http://www.catsmeowinfo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Wed May 13, 2009 2:49 pm

it's probably the same crap that was mentioned in the Canadian press a while back for having lead in it :p
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Thu May 14, 2009 4:11 am

That is scary!

Speaking of dangerous products. The Danish environment and health commission has been testing the most used products here.

Only Grimas Pure got approved (but I find them really really hard to work with), plus some facepaint pencils from Lyra.

All the snazaroo was not recommended because of the use of parabenes (because it is suspected of being hormone disturbing) and it contains a eye irritating ingredient.

In the normal Grimas there was other allergy provoking ingredients, parabenes and environment damaging chemicals.

They did not test Kryolan, but there is perfume and parabenes, so that would be the same.

Mehron and Graftobian is not available, but I will try to make them test DFX, even though I have gone through the ingredient list myself (with the help from my mother who works in a lab where they test products) and have found nothing suspicious. But it would be nice to have it tested to see if there was the same in as declared.

Parabenes and perfumes is a big no no here, one out of ten costumers ask about it. Planing of making a sign with the answer Smile

[url=http://www.miljoeogsundhed.dk/default.aspx?node=5896 ]http://www.miljoeogsundhed.dk/default.aspx?node=5896 [/url]
Link to the test page. It is in danish, but the products under 1 is approved. Under 2 is not recommended and 3 is illegal (there is pictures)
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin Sun May 24, 2009 3:37 am

You have to watch it though - I mean all of the 'more pro' face painters I know stick to several good, well known brands.

BUT in the Uk 1 of the main babies/ toddlers shops was the Early Learning Centre; very respected, did all sorts of well-researched kids toys etc. And were sold in nearly every non-ELC kids shop too. They even sold it in the posh shops when I lived in Hong Kong

Anyway they did their own brand of face paint which of course sold well...though several of us had tried/ seen it and said it didn't feel right or feel nice on the skin and looked awful!

After years, it was suddenly found to be full of lead, etc and withdrawn world wide. ... somehow there was a loophole as it was 'for kids'.

So I always advise the cheapest paints to go for are usually Snaz....any cheaper and its often 'toy' and dodgy...

Cat x
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sherry Sun May 24, 2009 7:15 am

I've recently heard about the parabene thing. I had someone call inquiring about the Diamond FX. They wanted to buy face paint to do with their children. She starting telling me how unsafe Snazaroo was because of the parabene and she was having problems finding a brand of face paint without it. She said it was found to cause cancer and she didn't know how they were selling this to use on children. This completely blew me away, because I've consistently gotten a different message in the face paint community... that Snaz is the safest.

She said parabene was also in most makeups. I went to look at my makeup and sure enough, there it was. I'm not sure what to think, because I use both Snaz and DFX and I also love Kryolan.
Sherry
Sherry

Number of posts : 281
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.funfaces.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Sun May 24, 2009 7:51 am

I looked up parabene on Wikipedia,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraben

It seems that parabenes are what gives make-up their bacteriocidal and fungicidal properties. For the make-up that doesn't have parabene, can they also say that they have bacteriocidal and fungicidal properties? If they still do, what is it?

I think if you dig hard enough, you are going to find something wrong with everything in this world. And if you look even harder, usually what is "wrong" about something is publicized by the competition.

I use and have in my kit at least 5 different brands. So I don't really favor any over another as I feel each has its own unique properties and colors that I want.

Just remember the aspirin debate. About every 5 years they change whether it is bad or good for you.

LW, yes please try and get the DFX tested. Would love to know!

I think as facepainters, using and touching the paint almost everyday and using it on ourselves and our children should be more concerned on the effects on us, than the children we paint. Maybe a child gets face painted twice a year. We are going to be dealing with the effects more.

Metina
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Sun May 24, 2009 10:05 am

Metina: That is also what I tell the concerned parents "I trust it enough to work with it on a daily basic"
There has been a lot in the news about how "unsafe" facepaint it, because of the parabene content. Some really freak out about it. There was a really big debate on a pregnant forum that made an article about bodypainting for pregnants. Most thought it was cool, but a few was more or less saying we was going to do permanent damage to the child! Like one bodypaint - even with parabenes and parfumes - was going to harm. They should start looking to their creams, detergent and other stuff they use on a daily basic.

But I talked to the guys that do the testing, and the next time they run a test, they will include DFX also =) Else, if it takes to long, I would ask my mom to test a few. But that is not as good pr, as if the officials was saying ok for it ;-)
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather Timmons Mon May 25, 2009 5:23 pm

I actually agree about the Paraben issue. It's not good to apply regularly to your skin. The only paraben products that I have in my house currently are the face paints.

I would LOVE a paraben free face paint, but you would need to compensate for it's purpose with another all natural ingredient, like Grapefruit seed oil, or an A, C, E and GSE combination to kill the bacteria you introduce to the paints each time you add water or dip your brush in it.

There are natural products that use things other than parabens and it's really popular to have children's products in health food stores that are paraben free. I buy those for our family.

If you had a face paint in a tube that you squeezed out onto a pallet and used up a batch for the 'session/day' etc, then you would not need to add so many preservatives (and they REALLY load them on in facepaints). You just toss whatever is left over on the pallet. It would keep your paints in the tubes sterile for the most part. You would probably have an expiration date of one year from time of opening, and that could add up if you didn't use it often and ended up throwing out a tube (like with face makeup).

Parabens are in your toothpaste, shampoos, soaps, makeup, skin creams/lotions, and in many foods. We are highly exposed to the stuff...it is a hormone disrupter and many feel it's carcinogenic.

Most make up is a combination of a pigment powder, talc or some other absorber, an oil base and fragrance (or not). Really, there are so many safer and more natural ways to preserve things I'm surprised some company hasn't jumped on the band wagon yet and made a truely 'all natural' line of face paints. You can buy natural cosmetics without parabens...you would just need to add different pigments and waaa laaa, 'natural' face paints.

If they did this, you might need to change a few habits. Like not dipping sponges into the container (removing small amounts onto a pallet) and definitely would need to use a one sponge/brush per person rule.

As of now, there are so many preservatives in all the brands it's not such a big issue to keep dipping your brush or sponge into the container...but this luxury is paid for by having the high paraben content and our skin is highly absorbable and eventually it just adds to the 'load' of toxic substances being absorbed.
Heather Timmons
Heather Timmons

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2008-09-28

http://www.catsmeowinfo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kyfaceandbodyart Mon May 25, 2009 6:06 pm

What I dont understand, is why everyone is getting so worked up over the same products/ingredients that people have used for years. I was born in the 70's grew up with lead paint, metal toys, mom used lard to cook with, etc etc...... We are still Alive!!!! I agree with what Metina said I think someone is going to find something wrong with anything and everything that we put in or on our bodies. The problem with all natural products is that they are so expensive. Yes it would be great to have an all natural face paint, but think of how much it would cost and how much we would have to charge customers. We would go out of business.
kyfaceandbodyart
kyfaceandbodyart

Number of posts : 140

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Tue May 26, 2009 3:57 pm

Yes, people are still alive, but there are being born more and more children that can't have any children themselves, because of the chemicals they are exposed to in the womb and after. Even the plastic print on t-shirts are giving away plastic softeners to the skin, even with the actual fabric in between.

Grimas has made Grimas Pure, that is without parabenes. It has a limited shelf time for about a year. I bought a palette and I hated it! I could not get a good coverage at all. But maybe they have improved since. It is about two years ago. Anybody tried it?

Bacteria don't grow in dried out products. That is why it is safe to double dip in eyeshadow, but not in lipstick. So that is why I think that if we just let the facepaint get dry between use, it is fine. Bacteria needs time to grow. So the only think that will be spreading is whatever candyfloss, dirt and what else children have in their faces. But that is not more dangerous than what the next child have them selves.

But there is also difference between parabenes. Methyl- and ethyl parabenes should be the worst. And I don't understand why it is in so much makeup!
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down