Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting a mall gig

+3
Perry Noia
LoneWolf
Sue@AnyTimeAnyFace
7 posters

Go down

Getting a mall gig Empty Getting a mall gig

Post by Sue@AnyTimeAnyFace Mon May 11, 2009 2:11 pm

I would really like to get a face painting job at our local mall (NJ). They have a food court with a carosel, a child play area and there are loads of kids! I am going to speak with the mall rep but before I do I was hoping to get some advice. This forum is a wealth of information and I appreciate it so much - you have no idea! I am new at this. I've been face painting for over 2 years now but I only recently registered my business. I am not good at selling anything - including myself Smile I would like to know what you think is the best approach? Renting a kyosk would not be worth it to me because my hours must work around my family. My primary job is stay at home mom. The ideal situation would be for me to set up at the food court on certain scheduled days and times and charge per face. I was thinking I could give them a % of what I make. I don't really know what to ask of them and I don't want to be stumbling over my words when I talk to the woman. Does anyone have mall face painting experience they would like to share?

Sue@AnyTimeAnyFace

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2008-09-23

http://www.anytimeanyface.com

Back to top Go down

Getting a mall gig Empty Re: Getting a mall gig

Post by LoneWolf Mon May 11, 2009 2:24 pm

Try to tell them about the bonus that they are having you there: It bring life and joy. The kids are entertained, so the adults have more time to spend money. It gives an extra value to the mall, so people will choose that, instead of another. Hey, they should be paying you to be there ;-)
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Getting a mall gig Empty mall gig

Post by Sue@AnyTimeAnyFace Mon May 11, 2009 4:06 pm

I agree with you - it's important to explain how face painting will benefit THEM. I will be sure to lead with that! Thank you Smile

Sue@AnyTimeAnyFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Mon May 11, 2009 4:43 pm

I'm not involved in the stuff at our local mall, but the clowns that do work there are paid for the hours they are there so that it is free for the parents. They go once a week for several hours. The mall has set up "Family Fridays" every Friday with various events going on... it has drastically reduced the hooligan teenagers hanging around and bugging the paying customers by inviting all the parents and little kids.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 11, 2009 6:43 pm

The local mall merchant's association OR the mall ownership/management company has hired me in the past. If they are holding theme sales like Sidewalk Sales or Family Carnival Days, etc. they often like to include family entertainment. Send a package to the mall management office attention the Marketing Manager should get it to the right person.

Also depends how big the mall is and if any of the merchants offer similar types of services.

Back to top Go down

Getting a mall gig Empty mall gig

Post by Sue@AnyTimeAnyFace Tue May 12, 2009 1:08 am

Thank you LoneWolf, Perry and Shannon for the advice. I really appreciate it! I will let you know if I get the gig.

Sue@AnyTimeAnyFace

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlotte Bowring Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:13 am

I to wanted to get in at our Mall. They also have a food court with the bungi jump next to it. I went the Mall to see about setting up there. The Mall leasing rep. understood that I didn't need their stand and that I had my own set up. The lady I spoke to(leasing rep) said it is going to be $500 for the month and I have to have insurance. If I wanted to set up for just the week end it would cost me $350 on a Holiday.. or on just a regular weekend it is $250. She said she would set me up in the food court by the bungi jumper and I would have a plug for electric at no additional cost. Is this to high to pay. Also if I make over a 3,846 for the month they require I pay them 13% of what I make over that. I wanted to make money and get my name out there but I don't know if I would come out in the good or be going in the hole. If anyone has had experiance with this I would appreciate any input they would like to offer....... While I was there the Director of Mall Marketing said she need a face painter in May for the hurrican expo. The leasing rep. told her I charge per face,have my own set up and would there be a charge for me to set up. The marketing director said she would charge me only $100 for the week end. Please fill free to give me any info. Thank you

Last edited by Charlotte Bowring on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : felt I need to explain better, I hope I did.)

Charlotte Bowring

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:50 am

it is a risk when you are leasing like that... you could try one weekend and see how it goes? It would be better of course if they paid you to be there for a few hours and it was free for patrons, but...
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:53 am

There is no way a face painter is going to make any money paying the mall rates. You have to sell them on how your being there will boost attendance to the mall. I am blown away that she "needs" you for the Hurrican Expo, but will only charge you $100 for the weekend. What if it is a total bust? Many PPF are.

I would suggest expaining to them how long it would take to make back what they are trying to charge you by charging $5 per face(or whatever you charge). Try and get them to go for a trial month of you paying a % back, but they would need to advertise that you are there as well. Make it a partnership. Keep in mind that if you are stuck at the mall paying $350 for the weekend, how many paying jobs are you turning down.

There was once a % of attendance forumula that Gary Cole had come up with for festivals so that one could gage if it might be profitable. If you can find it, it might be at least 1/2 that since people are coming to shop, not really to do family entertainment.

I just don't really see it as being profitable, and after a while I am sure the other mall vendors will start to complain to management about paint on clothes, toys, books ect... Because as we know parents don't really watch their children.

I hate to be a nagative, but I have only seen people ask advice on how to get this started and never had anyone come on here and say how successful their mall face painting gig is.

Best of luck!
-Metina

Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:51 am

All of my mall gigs were paid - the mall or the merchants' association HIRED me and I painted anyone who lined up.

I think perhaps the approach to the mall should have started on a pitch for them to hire you, as opposed to you renting space. It is hard to backtrack now.

If the Director of Marketing "needed" a painter then I interpret that as they would have paid for one, but as you were there asking to pay them to be there they flipped it around to their benefit.

That being said... $100 to set-up for the weekend would at least give you an idea of whether it would work for you or not.

Frankly, if I was charging for it at the mall I work for I doubt my lines would be 4 hours long like they are - since it is "free" people will wait.

And people tend to leave their kids in line unattended while they go do their shopping... I have to post signs saying I am not responsible for ANY child left in line unattended and once had to put up one saying unaccompanied childred will NOT be painted just to get it under control!

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:18 am

I set up one time, on a saturday day, at a huge mall, by the kids area, and made a whoppin 40$ for like 6 hours. It's a huge risk if you ask me, I wouldn't commit to more than one weekend to try. I cringe at the thought of face painting where they sell clothing, I can just see a crying/sweating kids rubbin their face on an expensive clothing article......
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Monna (sounds like Donna) Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:53 pm

I see asking if you were going to be there regular hours..fp, glitter tattoos, air brushing...But when the "Director of Marketing " approached...needing a face painter...that is when they pay YOU ...and you can even sit out a tip jar. So I would go talk to them ..about ....when They may need ...YOU...from time to time...and they pay you for those events. Then maybe if they see it draws a crowd..or If people comment on your work and how they enjoyed you...maybe they will let you sit up more often...but usually a mall will have a face painter about 4 to 6 times a year.....Paying...YOU!!!! good luck!
Monna (sounds like Donna)
Monna (sounds like Donna)

Number of posts : 119

http://www.youravon.com/monnablack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down