Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

yay! my new mall gig & hiring employees

+2
Pilareta
FunnyFacesCC
6 posters

Go down

yay! my new mall gig & hiring employees Empty yay! my new mall gig & hiring employees

Post by FunnyFacesCC Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:31 am

Hi everyone,
I'm really excited and just wanted to share my new gig with you all! I'm signing a contract with the shopping mall and I'm getting a great deal. I approached them after turning away 10 random kids when I was painting at a private birthday party 2 weeks ago at the Build-a-Bear. They are excited and enthusiastic about having me because the children's play area is not large enough and they want to keep kids happy so parents will shop longer, they are HOOKING ME UP...I'm excited because I'm getting air-conditioned booth space (in humid 100+ degrees F summer temps) during prime time on the weekends for really cheap, and they're giving me storage space so I don't have to lug everything in every day. Better than any other random PPF event or festival I could hope to book outdoors in this heat! And a steady gig so I always have work even on those few weekends I don't have parties booked.

I had my first paid birthday party in February, my business is really taking off after only 4-months, more because I found a niche in the market (seriously NO face painters in this town except an all inclusive clown and petting zoo entertainment that uses acrylic craft paint on naive children, I've had to try to scrub this crap off of kids faces before painting them and it's horrendous!) and less because I'm super amazing like so many on this forum, (but I do good work compared to the competition! )

I'm also beginning to advertise in a family friendly circulation that targets wealthy families beginning in July, I expect business to boom even more because of that. I'm looking at hiring help, starting with a few girls to do glitter tattoos...and maybe eventually train other painters....I don't know anything about being an employer, I never expected things to pick up like this when I started out a few months ago, I just wanted to paint a few birthday parties. What can I say? I'm really really lucky and I LOVE what I do!

If anyone can give advice on where to start with hiring/training employees or any suggestions for my mall gig, I'd really appreciate it. I feel I'm in a little over my head. I'm a sole proprietor now...with an EIN, a PO box, a paypal account and a contract recreated from a copy of Martha's. (thanks Martha!) I'm definitely open to any business do's and don'ts.

Thanks for reading my lengthy post!
Lindsey Very Happy

Last edited by FunnyFacesCC on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
FunnyFacesCC
FunnyFacesCC

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2012-03-11

http://funnyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

yay! my new mall gig & hiring employees Empty Re: yay! my new mall gig & hiring employees

Post by Pilareta Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:07 am

I'm not a pro so no advice here but... YAY FOR YOU! cheers
Pilareta
Pilareta

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

yay! my new mall gig & hiring employees Empty Re: yay! my new mall gig & hiring employees

Post by Pilareta Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:12 am

Oh, and you may try to write "mall" or "hire" in the Search Box to find some help. Just a thought, hope that helps Smile
Pilareta
Pilareta

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Katurah Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:10 am

Wow! If only I could get that lucky! Congrats Smile
Katurah
Katurah

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2012-03-12

http://www.katurahpaintspeople.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnie Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:13 pm

I have 8 people who work for me, 6 are artists, and each season I've added two more (so far- may have to add more sooner) to keep up with the growth.

If you PM me your questions, I'll be more than happy to answer, or I can even send you my phone number if you prefer to set up a chat date. :-)

Congrats to you!
Lynnie
Lynnie

Number of posts : 733
Registration date : 2010-02-09

http://www.artful-body.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FunnyFacesCC Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks, every one! And the inquiries keep coming...Lynnie, I would love to pick your brain! Look for my PM. Thanks Very Happy
FunnyFacesCC
FunnyFacesCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Lacey's Faces Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:02 pm

I just wanted to say GRATS! That is so exciting. Keep us posted on how it goes!
Lacey's Faces
Lacey's Faces

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2012-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:58 pm

If you can take a class with Kerry Ann Smith, it will be worth it's weight in gold to you. She has great tips on how to work the system so you can maximize your employees as independent contractors and have fewer tax issues to worry about.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FunnyFacesCC Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:22 pm

TheGildedCat wrote:If you can take a class with Kerry Ann Smith, it will be worth it's weight in gold to you. She has great tips on how to work the system so you can maximize your employees as independent contractors and have fewer tax issues to worry about.

Cool, do you know if she has resources available online? Tax issues scare the heck out of me, I haven't made it through a tax season as a business owner yet, much less with employees to worry about.
FunnyFacesCC
FunnyFacesCC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down