Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Travel and Swine Flu

+6
LoneWolf
Linda Adams
Metina
OC FUN
Captain-Savvy
cassandra
10 posters

Go down

Travel and Swine Flu Empty Travel and Swine Flu

Post by cassandra Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:05 pm

I'm really looking forward to the convention in Orlando in May but I'm beginning to wonder about the swine flu issue. If it gets worse I will probably end up cancelling my trip. I'll be really bummed if I can't go. Sad

Who else is planning on going and have you had second thoughts?
cassandra
cassandra

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down

Travel and Swine Flu Empty Re: Travel and Swine Flu

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:16 pm

You may not need to make that decision. IF they go to Phase 6... most countries would declare an emergency, which means no public gatherings, no traveling... etc. Your trip cancellation/travel insurance would pay up in that case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain-Savvy Fri May 01, 2009 1:35 am

I was planning to go to a ren fest and I'm really hoping I don't have to cancel... I've been looking forward to it for nearly a year... this flu already has my anxiety disorder acting up, and if I have to cancel this trip I'll be majorly bummed too Sad
Captain-Savvy
Captain-Savvy

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://captain-savvy.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by OC FUN Fri May 01, 2009 11:59 am

Shannon Fennell wrote:You may not need to make that decision. IF they go to Phase 6... most countries would declare an emergency, which means no public gatherings, no traveling... etc. Your trip cancellation/travel insurance would pay up in that case.
Thats what Im afraid of. My honeymoon will be ruined No
OC FUN
OC FUN

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2008-11-25

http://www.ocfunrentals.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Fri May 01, 2009 12:26 pm

This shows how deep my head is in the sand. I had no idea this was so serious. I am crossing my fingers and sending out hopeful vibes that all will be well with you on your travels.
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Linda Adams Fri May 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Ok......I must be missing the seriousness of this flu outbreak. As far as I know the H1N1(swime flu) is just like any other flu, except that because of it's make-up we humans don't have any immunity to it....right? because of that it's easier to catch but isn't it just like any other flu outbreak??
......it sucks if you get sick....
you're sick for 4-5 days, with fever, body aches, cough, runny nose, headache, nausea, etc.
Linda Adams
Linda Adams

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2009-04-30

http://www.NotQuiteWarpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Fri May 01, 2009 6:21 pm

I've got the impression that more people die from it, than a normal flu.
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by cassandra Fri May 01, 2009 6:25 pm

That is my impression also. Regular flu doesn't cause such a stir in the media. Also, the large insurance company whose home office is in our town, State Farm Insurance, has cancelled all business travel for employees. That says something.
cassandra
cassandra

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2009-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2009 7:03 pm

I think after SARS they are all doing the "better safe than sorry" thing...

My mom just was exposed... I honestly could go at slap the twit at the CCS office. Mom volunteers as needed at the Canadian Cancer Society office here in town, yesterday the Volunteer Coordinator called and asked if she could go in today to stuff some envelopes.

So mom went.... she met me after work at told me that the girl who called her, JUST GOT BACK FROM MEXICO AND IS SICK... HAD GONE TO HOSPITAL AND WAS GIVEN DRUGS AND TOLD TO GO HOME... BUT SHE INSTEAD GOES BACK TO WORK WHERE SHE HAS ASKED A 71 YEAR OLD WOMAN TO COME IN TO ....Yes I AM YELLING!!!! I am furious that this twit would call a senior to go and be in direct contact given the situation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather Timmons Fri May 01, 2009 7:14 pm

This particular strain of flu really shouldn't be called the 'swine flu'. It's actually a genetic combination of the avian flu, swine flu and human flu, almost to the point of seeming like an 'unnatural combination' seen in nature.

It's SUPER contageous, and outside of Mexico (where there are other factors, ie, pollution and health care issues), it's so far not as 'deadly' here in the US as it has been in other countries.

But, the high numbers of folks coming down with it in Mexico will naturally reflect a higher 'natural casualty' rate, that happens during regular flu seasons among certain populations, (esp the elderly and the really young with developing immune systems).

So, since it's super contageous, there just stands to reason that it could spread really fast and we might see higher numbers of deaths from complications that we usually see in any given year during 'normal' flu season, but if everyone catches it, that's a much much higher risk of more people dying.

But you could get it and not really have it too bad and it would seem like alot of hype over a 'relativley mild flu' outbreak. You probably have as much chance of having complications with this strain as any 'normal' strains that float around this time of year.

The current 'epidemic stockpile supply' of flu vaccine is based on the avian flu H5N1 strain and while it's probably not totally effective, it might effect a component of the new strain (since it has an avian component) and work some, if at all, but usually you need to have been vaccinated a while before you are exposed for it to be effective at all, and then it's not guaranteed to work at all (and you are injecting immune suppresing adjuncts into your system which makes it harder for your body to fight it naturally).

Supposedly the Tamiflu anti viral meds they have are not all that effective, and can cause other issues in and of itself, including behavior and neurological disorders in children (Deaths being reported in Japan even).

EVEN if it works, it only shortens the duration by a day or two at the most. So I'd avoid Tamiflu personally, and up my Vitamin D and B and C to help my immune system naturally.

The real worry is that since this is a super contageous strain and that historically these strains get into the population, mutate and then re-emerge in a year or two during the next flu season and can be both super contageous and super nasty...causing deaths in folks that normally would just 'shrug' it off. The best thing would be to get it, fight it, and have a natural immunity to it later on. Just pray it's a mild case and you have a strong immune system and can get over it quickly.

That's what all the fuss is about this...plus, little side note. The 'patient zero' they think was from Pakistan and was in Mexico, infected someone, and then has left the country. Mmmm, considering that we basically have an open border with traffic from Mexico and the U.S. it was bound to enter this country and many others as Mexico is a 'hot vactaion spot' with people from all over the world going there. Let's hope it wasn't an 'engineered' cocktail from one of the countries that just love US citizens hoping something like this would happen! Even if the flu turns out to be a dud, the economic turmoil it could cause with closures of businesses, schools, etc during an already economic down turn could really 'do us in' for a bad situation if this turns into a panic epidemic.

Ok, on to happier thoughts....
Heather Timmons
Heather Timmons

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2008-09-28

http://www.catsmeowinfo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather Timmons Fri May 01, 2009 7:18 pm

Shannon, you should go smack that woman. The elderly are extremly at risk. Make sure your Mom (and you, now that you met with her) ups your vitamin C, D and any 'natural immune boosting' vitamin you can get your hands on.

I can't believe that coordinator was so brainless to do something like that after all the warnings! My friend is a Travel Agent and they are cancelling most trips to Mexico, unless it's urgent. /shakes head

Last edited by Heather Timmons on Sat May 02, 2009 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Heather Timmons
Heather Timmons

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2008-09-28

http://www.catsmeowinfo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by allparties Sat May 02, 2009 8:47 pm

I know that our big convetion for work might be cancelled for next week which sucks. We have about $200,000 invested in it, not to mention a year's worth of planning.

I wonder about the clown convention here at the end of May confused
allparties
allparties

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2008-10-08

http://www.alwaysaparty.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO Sat May 02, 2009 10:24 pm

Unless there is some serious quarantine or issues I AM GOING!!!!
WyndyO
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin Mon May 04, 2009 3:45 am

Oh Shannon that's insane...the woman & the hospital, unless they sent her home as it wasn't the swine flu. What an idiot!

Even if its just normal flu, I hope your mum escapes it!

Cat x
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down