Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st big gig setup?

+6
chicneek
Lauri Strandell
LillyW
pjhamel
Noella
marzack
10 posters

Go down

1st big gig setup? Empty 1st big gig setup?

Post by marzack Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:45 am

Okay first hello everyone I am so happy to have found this site and am totally addicted... 3am laptop open brush in hand exposed thigh(is my sleeping college student son,thanks whoever thought of that one,lol). I have learned so much already from all of you, are truly artist which i think is totally unappreciated by the general public!!! Enough of kissing your collective booties(although well deserved) I have a question.. I have face painted with Snazaroo at all local charity events my relay for life team has done. I am a colon cancer survivor and donating my time and the paints is very close to my heart, and putting all those art classes to use makes me happy. Always at events I have been asked to do private parties and other events, being sick I always turned them down although painting always made me feel better..go figure,lol. I'm going to start doing paid events and parties and donate proceeds to ACS after covering my costs, i am on a tight budget and really can't afford to keep paying for everything hopefully this allow me to do more volunteer work for different organizations too, we'll see. Sorry strayed from subject again.... totally ohh look a kitty moment,

Okay, Painting a our BIG relay for life event on the 15th, i have tent,table, chairs. I will list everything I'm bringing, please let me know if i'm missing anything, and if you have any suggestions that will help my day go easier.

1)paints snazaroo 16 color basic pallet(2),paradice 8 color pastel pallet,ben nye lumiere 6 color(metallic),mehron starblend 2oz cakes in red,white,black,yellow. clown white, detailz-black,silver metallic powder & mixing agent
2)mehron glitters pearl,pink,lt blue
3)boards with pricing@$3-5-8. about 6 of these( probably need to cut back huh?)
6)a lot of really good brushes, i only have about 4 sponges so i know i have to get more.. again large event (+1000ppl)how many should i have.
7) as many water jars as i need (how many should i take)
8)makeup removal wipes
9)alcohol push dispenser w/ cotton balls
10) a plastic comb like headband(i got it because i can wipe it down w/alcohol and keep reusing).
11) fanny pack and apron with a lots of pockets.. (made it myself-did mention very crafty)

PLEASE,Please any suggestions you can make will really help and be taken, i've read so many great things on here like numbering the kids and letting them go play, i have seen those cute lil monsters destroy everything around them waiting to be paint so love it!!
Thank You ahead of time as i really need the help.
Marle
marzack
marzack

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2011-03-28

Back to top Go down

1st big gig setup? Empty Re: 1st big gig setup?

Post by Noella Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:30 pm

9)alcohol push dispenser w/ cotton balls

Why this? To clean my own hands I use hand sanitizer between paintings

10) a plastic comb like headband(i got it because i can wipe it down w/alcohol and keep reusing).

What about inexpensive clips (like the kind you can get dozens for a dollar at the dollar store or bobby pins from Sally's) - if it walks away on someone you are out of luck and if you don't get it fully clean and dry could be a problem....
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:02 pm

I say definitely get some little clips from Sally's. I have a box of a hundred little silver clips that I got there for around $3. I just tell the kids to keep them. If they do hand them back, I put them in my dirty sponge bucket and clean them with alcohol when I get home. It's so much quicker than having to re-wipe the headband every time.
The paints sound like enough to get you through. My only worry is the snaz. Here in Florida, it melts pretty badly, especially the black. I would order a regular size dfx black and white if I were you, just to be safe.
As for the sponges, I would say plan on painting about 50-75 full faces with them. You can either order the reusable ones from the fpf shop, or you can buy a couple bags of cosmetic wedges at a drug store and dispose of them after each person. If you are looking to save money, the latter will be cheaper. It will also be more hygienic,especially if you end up painting someone who is still going through cancer treatment. Sometimes you can find the same sponges that Metina sells on ebay, so definitely check there if you don't want to go the disposable route. I ordered a wholesale lot of 30 and cut them all in half. That should be enough.
As for water jars, you only need a couple (one for wetting fresh brushes, one for light colors, one for dark colors), but take extra water to refill them throughout the day. I carry my water in a recycled "Simply Orange" orange juice bottle.
Baby wipes work just as well as makeup remover wipes, and they are both cheaper and gentler on the skin, so save yourself some money and go with them instead. I was also confused about the alcohol. I use hand sanitizer in between each kid.
You definitely want to take a cooler with some drinks and snacks as well. Oh, and you might want to consider getting a battery powered fan. I got one at Walmart in the camping section for $15. It works like a charm and is great for the hot Florida days.
That is about all that I can think of right now, but I will say good luck. I have worked with the Relay for Life for years as a volunteer, and recently became an assistant to one of the chair people. It is one of the only events that I will paint at for free. Congrats on beating cancer! My dad recently did as well, so painting at the Relay is going to be extra special for me this year.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

1st big gig setup? Empty Face Painting Kit

Post by LillyW Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:07 pm

I use bobby pins. I often find huge packages of them at 99cent/ $1 kinds of stores, for little girls in pretty colors and SPARKLES!

Also, you need to bring water. Depending on how much you use. Personally, I can do a big gig with two drink side water bottles because of the water container I use, and the sanitizer I spray after each person. (Sephora makes one, as does Beauty So Clean, but I use plain white vinegar).

As to water containers, I use a popcicle maker. I dip my black brushes ONLY in the black well, white only in white, others colors in the other little wells. I don't have a close up, but here is a photo of my set-up from last year. You can see the old water container I used to use, with the black staining for the "black" well. The ones I use now are not clear plastic, so it hides the staining better.

Oh, I have a separate set of brushes for WHITES, BLACKS, and OTHER.

AND, I never go anywhere without several packages of antibacterial wipes MEANT FOR FACE AND HANDS. I use that to pull the excess water off my brushes, and to clean my hands. I use a clean one for each customer.

1st big gig setup? Workst12

- Lilly Walters, 909-398-1228
Face and Body Painting http://www.funfacepainting.com
Follow me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=84188074588&ref=ts
Books and Face Painting Classes http://www.funfacepainting.com/book.html
LillyW
LillyW

Number of posts : 259
Registration date : 2009-12-06

http://www.funfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:11 pm

omg! popsicle maker as a brush bath? What a great idea, Lilly! I know that I have one in my kitchen somewhere. I'm going to dig it out and try it at my cousin's b-day party on Saturday to see how it works.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Back to top Go down

Post by marzack Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:07 pm

Thank you all soo much I'll be getting the clips,bobby pins, fan and popsicle maker on my next trip to walmart! I think i will put out the money and go for the good sponges as I plan to do more events and i think it'll be worth it.
PJhamel I have the regular size mehon black and white will they work instead of buying DFX or are dfx better in the heat? Oh and thank you and congrats to your father. ACS help me a lot( being a single mother and being disabled) while going through treatment and still does since chemo really killed my immune system, they are awesome!!
marzack
marzack

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:49 pm

If you find your black or white getting melty in the heat, stash it in your cooler and fish out a fresh one.... each brand behaves differently, but it depends on what you are used to. I used to use black Snaz and if I didn't have shade was just goopy. DFX/Wolfe/Tag don't melt quite as quickly (for me, but I'm not in Florida).

If you are getting sponges, somewhere to put them after they are used is the next thing you will need - a bucket/container you can dump your water into as well then they won't stain as easily.
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:58 pm

Another thing I take a lot of is tissues (kleenex) and some paper towels (folded up, not a whole roll or box) - and I do take *spray* alcohol for brushes.
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:30 pm

Mehron works fine, too. I just find that dfx is better for line work. But I started with paradise and still love it.
<------- See my avatar? All paradise except the white.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:54 pm

Here is something that I learned at my first ppf, parents want a photo of the kid not of you, so set up and turn your back to the line and let the kid face out. But wait, you have already done big events before?...sorry, also with 1,000 attendees, a line manager is a must, she can take the money, organize the order, and I have my line mgr put glitter and take pictures. I also put my mirror away from the painting chair to get the kids out of the chair faster and get the next kid going.... tryin' to think.... that's all I got for now! Good luck to you, tonight at work I will paint a ribbon on my arm for you!

Lauri Strandell

Number of posts : 645
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm

It's funny, because I hate being in pictures, and I do my best to avoid them, but parents always want me in them too.
Lauri is definitely right about the line manager. This is a must! The mirror idea is great, too. I usually just flash the mirror at them for a moment and then let them look at it longer if they want to once they get out of the chair. Definitely going to start keeping my mirror at the other end of the table.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:09 pm

hahaha trish, wait till you're my age, then even when parents want you in the picture, you learn to "hide" behind the kids!

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by marzack Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:31 pm

All great Ideas, thanks so much!! I went and got everything you guys listed except sponges but I am going to order some tonight, i just want to shop around a bit. have any of you tried the tack sponges or sea sponges?
I have a young girl that took a few sculpting classes from me who is going to be my line manager and my best friend is doing simple one color ribbons i made a stencil of, that way people can pick the cancer ribbon they want (i have a chart) I thought it would be a good way for the adults at the event to get involved too. For a buck a piece that's where I figured my snaz paint would go... I have basically every color in some form in paradise or ben nye so i'll be working mostly with them.

Also I have a a great idea for keeping the paints cool, a friend gave me a bunch of gel cooler things that go in a neck wrap for hot days, while i was going through chemo. I am putting them in a tray and putting a smaller tray inside it. I tried it everything fits well and doesn't move around too much... i figure keep a few in the cooler. i'll let you know how it works. Laurie thank you for thinking of me with the ribbon, I have to say it is a constant fight and staying positive is hard at times. This may sound odd but i try to look at it as a blessing in disguise, 30 w/colon cancer is very rarer even rarer that is was caught in time for me to be able to fight. Because I was diagnosed they found my older brother's (early enough he didn't have to have chemo) he has two very young girls and is basically a single parent(blessing) because of cancer I became disabled which got me out of being a workaholic, at a job I didn't like but paid the bills, kept me keeping up with the jones, and my son in the latest greatest video game(guilt buying,yup). I became the artist/craftswoman i have always been in my heart and turned my back on,because I was too busy making money,ugh! The way i see it it was a wake up call to: appreciate everybody, everyday,everything and not to turn my back on the gifts i have been given. I have to say I am not as financially secure as i once was but my life is so much richer. I am happier now broken and broke then i ever have been in my life!!!
marzack
marzack

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:35 pm

Carwash sponges are great too and wash over and over but cheap enough to toss if you don't want to be bothered.
Image hosted by servimg.com
50 or more sponges for less than $2. I can never find cosmetic sponges that work with facepaint around here.
chicneek
chicneek

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-07-24

http://danicafaceart.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:37 pm

My fantasy world wide sponges were expensive and are my first fav, carwash is a close second and tack sponges are my third fav. I like the shape of the round tack sponges and cut them in halves or quarters and use them depending on the design.
Have lots of fun!
chicneek
chicneek

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-07-24

http://danicafaceart.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by kat Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:53 am

I use these sponges.
They're firm, yet soft to touch when wet. They keep their shape well.

Good luck!1st big gig setup? Sponge10
kat
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauri Strandell Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:32 am

Here is my not so good arm design, 30 seconds to put it on., but I lied, I said my "FRIEND" from (?) is doing a big event and she is a COLON (super awesomeme!) cancer surviver and I Just want to send good karma,.,.,.,Got three good Karma's

Lauri Strandell

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:54 am

My number 1 sponges Fantasy World Wide, then the wolfe sponges and then body wash sponges.......... I find that car wash sponges and tack sponges are little rougher feeling to me.

I have tried them both and don' tcare for them, but I will say the tack sponge I have is great for stippling for the effect of hair (beard) or white foam for a wave
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by marzack Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:55 pm

I have to let everyone know...Lilly, the popsicle makers are pure genius!!! absolutely perfect... I got 4 of them from Walmart @$1.49 a piece and since all the summer stuff is out easy to find. If they aren't out in your local store ask one of the associates they have them in the back. You will not be disappointed i promise. okay I am gushing but I can't get over how well they work and are the perfect size. To everyone who helped thank you very much. As I tend to over do everything I have(or have ordered) everything that was recommended I have purchased EVERY type of sponge I figure I'll try them on myself first then friends and family before the relay event. See what I like and the feed back I get. Thanks again. I am so happy I found this site and only wish I found it sooner I am making talented friends who are always willing to help!
Pj- I thought it was just me with the paradise black/white line work seeing you also issues with it made me feel better and order the dfx from the forum shop, hoping it gets here before the event!
marzack
marzack

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:22 pm

I used the walmart ones kat pictured for a long time..cheap, cool colors that hide stain, but they are are a little soft..now I use regular ones from the dollar store. They are more firm, so it's a preference thing. Make sure if you go with the car wash sponge you wash them first! Do it a day or two in advance because they take forever in the dryer to get completely dry. You think they are dry because they are hot..then bam they are wet???over and over...haha... I usually dry them a cycle then lay them out to air for a few days.
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate318 Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:03 am

Lauri - That's so true about the parents wanting to see the kid. I'm gonna try that next time!

LillyW- Your table looks great I love the paint brush holder!
Kate318
Kate318

Number of posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate318 Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:07 am

Wishing you the best of luck for your great cause!!!! Hope its a wonderful day and you sound prepared Very Happy
Kate318
Kate318

Number of posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down