Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mehron Powder and Cake mixing

+4
Tash
JBax
anramire2
Brandi Cameron
8 posters

Go down

Mehron Powder and Cake mixing Empty Mehron Powder and Cake mixing

Post by Brandi Cameron Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:49 pm

I'm trying to get a really good silver and gold. I read on some of the posts that some people were mixing their silver and gold cakes with Mehron Powders and I was wondering how to do this? thanks so much!! Very Happy
Brandi Cameron
Brandi Cameron

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-03-13

Back to top Go down

Mehron Powder and Cake mixing Empty Re: Mehron Powder and Cake mixing

Post by anramire2 Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:07 pm

great question I just brought some silver mehron and haven't played with it as yet. I think someone mentioned you can just sprinkle a little on top of a cake and mix as needed. Hopefully someone else can help
anramire2
anramire2

Number of posts : 853
Registration date : 2009-08-13

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/My-LoVe-for-ART/2104600

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:46 pm

Yep, Angela has it right. It does punch up your cake. But warning... the Mehron powders aren't water soluble, but for adding a little to your cake then mix with the little water to activate the cake-paint, it works fine.

But, if you want it to really be metallic, mix with mixing medium. Is fantastico!

Here's and old vid showing it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtDdTByfl0g
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandi Cameron Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:07 pm

I read that if you mix the powder with the medium the mixture has to be used right away - does this apply if I mix the powder with the cake and a little water? Thanks so much Very Happy
Brandi Cameron
Brandi Cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:18 pm

Not sure. But when you use it, you'd only sprinkle a little then mix with water/paint as you are working the paint up to a good consistency. A little of that stuff goes a long way.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:47 pm

If you put it on your cake it will just wait until you use it again, but will get messy on lids etc
I actually have been using Mehron Gold powder on my sad looking snaz gold cake and it's been working a treat.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:59 pm

You can mix the powder with your cake & leave it on. It'll be ok. The mixing solution & powder has to be used up as it will eventually react & "explode" out the lid, making a big mess. At least this is what I've heard.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Brandi Cameron Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:48 am

Thanks so much!!! The powder is definitely going on my next order:)
Brandi Cameron
Brandi Cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Moon Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:10 am

I once accidentally put the liquid activator on my merhon aq palette back when I had no clue what I was doing and I think it ruined it so I would be really cautious about that.
Amy Moon
Amy Moon

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-01-03

http://www.hennaluna.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:59 am

I've taught a lot of classes which included using Mehron Metallic Powders and wrote a nice four page newsletter on using them.

Good tips here - sprinkle only a very little on the cake as the powders tend to clump when mixed with water. So they can clump on your cake if you sprinkle on too much.

And always mix the powder with the Mehron Mixing Liquid in a separate container. Do not pour the Mixing Liquid in the Metallic Powder jar. After use wipe out the container use to mix/depot the powder and rinse out your brush very well. Once the Mixing Liquid evaporates the remaining metallic mix will dry rock hard. Good way to lose a brush!

Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:08 pm

OK this metallic/ gold etc body paint is the thing I get the most emails about so I'm posting my standard email reply below:

For gold statues (or silver, bronze etc - range of colours!) I always use Graftobian (or Mehron) metallic powder and mixing liquid/ liquiset. (To be safe get the liquid that matches the brand of powder you buy).

Neither brand is really meant to be used on a face on/ around eyes. (So get a gold eyeshadow or similar if you don't have proper gold facepaint. OR use the powder dry, rub it on gently for an exact colour match.) This is because both brands of mixing liquid have a substance (either alcohol or urea) which evaporates and can irritate eyes etc. (Also means the mix degrades fast so don't make it until you are ready to use it). But it is all safe for skin, and although staying on very well (non smudge), it is water removeable and washes off easily with a soapy face cloth.

A little of the powder goes a long way, so DO NOT mix up the entire contents of both bottles! In a medium sized bowl pour a little liquid and add spoonfuls of powder and mix. This is the slow bit - keep adding powder, mixing until all dust/ lumps are gone, and when the mix looks like liquid metal test it on your arm. If it dries looking shiny enough for you, it's probably ready to use but you do need to keep adding powder and stirring it as you work. There is no exact guide to how much of each to add to the mix - it gets shinier up to a point then goes slightly solid when it is over-saturated, its hard to describe. And always try a little more powder than you think even if it looks gold - many beginners get dull looking models as they don't have enough powder.

Or you can mix the powders with baby oil for a super shiny look that doesn't dry so is only really good for photoshoots where the model doesn't have to touch anything (and doesn't mind a tough messy clean up afterwards), but most of us do the mixing powders as its safe, economical and relatively easy!

I get at least 1 body per pot of powder, with mixing liquid left over. Make it up in small batches as you work, you can always re-coat thinner areas. It paints over most fabrics that are not too cotton rich (again try it on black or white undies to see which is best). Don't keep the mixed powder & liquid or make it up in advance as it goes 'off' overnight. It also isn't really worth making tiny amounts up for a single facepaint; at most I swirl my brush through the mixer then swirl it in the lid of the powder jar for tiny details.

Make sure your model hasn't used anything on her skin that day - fake tans etc can react, and moisturiser or oils make it hard to stay on. I mainly use a very large, wide, flat soft brush to apply it, like for watercolour washes on paper. For faces/ eyelids I may use a facepainting sponge. It can do hair too but I tend to use gold or glittery hairspray.

Keep turning the model so thin patches show up as the light changes. Once dry (almost instantly) it stays on really well, I did models in it for events in HK and after working all day they still looked fine - just as well as I don't use fixing sprays if I can help it! Make sure at any breaks they don't wrap up in fluffy clothes or towels though as that takes off the shine - I use silky make-up dressing gowns etc.

Be aware IT DOES NOT LOOK LIKE LIQUID GOLD. When wet or in flash photos it does, but apart from on smooth tight hairless skin (like female shins) it is much more matt than many expect.

There are other brands - Kryolan do a liquid paint in a range of metallic colours called Kryolan Liquid Brightness. It is OK to look at and maybe easier for a non-professional to use, I don't know how much of it covers 1 body.

With cakes its generally too expensive.

If you buy Kryolan in 'cake' form, for either face or body, buy Kryolan Aquacolour, NOT SupraColor - that is oil based and a pain to get off. The only difference is the word on the lid so watch out. The other thing you is the Kryolan AqC gold doesn't look gold - I think its their copper that looks more gold!

Good luck!

AND the Gold Bond Girl 'death' is a MYTH.
We are mammals, with lungs - we do not breathe through our skin. And if you use good safe stuff like this, you can still sweat so won't be overheating any more than a non-painted person.
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down