Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to get started with first belly? Simple design ideas?

+4
poizonedpeach
Ruth
wmeventservices
MichelleLA
8 posters

Go down

How to get started with first belly?  Simple design ideas? Empty How to get started with first belly? Simple design ideas?

Post by MichelleLA Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi everyone --

I'm pretty new to face painting and have never painted a belly -- but I have a prospective mom lined up who is interested Smile

As a new painter I'm not very fast and don't want to get in over my head -- but want to be able to give the mom some choices and have this be a collaborative experience.

So I guess my questions would be -- what can I do to prepare myself? I do have a few photos in my inspiration file, but I need to be able to execute the design in a timely manner (not sure how long belly painting takes - but assume the mom-to-be cannot sit indefinitely Smile )

Can anyone suggest simple design concepts for a first belly -- for a mom who is expecting a second girl?

Photos and visuals would be appreciated!

MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

How to get started with first belly?  Simple design ideas? Empty Re: How to get started with first belly? Simple design ideas?

Post by wmeventservices Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:34 pm

Linda (Psalmbook) painted this on me at a festival in about ten minutes. I'm sure if you set aside maybe 45 minutes, you should have time to do this design with more finished details. As I said, she only had 10 minutes to do this so it is a fairly straight forward design that would be good to start out with.

How to get started with first belly?  Simple design ideas? 07072010

Linda I didn't think you would mind me sharing.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

How to get started with first belly?  Simple design ideas? Empty Re: How to get started with first belly? Simple design ideas?

Post by Ruth Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:22 pm

10 mins!!! Linda u did and awesome job!
Ruth
Ruth

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-11-07

http://www.wix.com/delightfulcreations/byruth

Back to top Go down

Post by poizonedpeach Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:38 pm

kissing fishies in a fishbowl were my first belly painting design on someone else! always a cute and pretty easy idea! i'll post a pic as soon as i download onto my computer...and Linda, awesome 10 min design!
poizonedpeach
poizonedpeach

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:57 pm

Whitney, I've posted that several times in different threads, so it's fine.
Thanks all!

For prep:
Have healthy beverages & snacks for the mom. Have somewhere comfortable for her to sit. A recliner usually works nice if you have one. Sit on a chair that is lower than her & hopefully this will be less strain on your back.
Take frequent breaks. A belly painting can take several hours.
Draw out your design with a white eyeliner pencil or white face paint while the mom is standing. Otherwise it will look distorted when she stands up.
Let mom pic positions that are most comfortable for her & work around her needs 1st.

I like to let mom pick a design idea, draw it out on paper & present it to her. Then go from there if she approves. All my belly painting were mostly on the fly as it was when Whitney & I both had free schedules.

Take pics of the process & paint siblings if they're old enough.
Have fun!!!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Anita's Faces Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:42 am

How to get started with first belly?  Simple design ideas? 52dac6c72d8859f46ac6b70c63f804b6
Anita's Faces
Anita's Faces

Number of posts : 1044
Registration date : 2010-02-13

http://www.anitasfaces.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:32 am

Everything Linda said is right on. I range from 1.5 - 3 hours with an average of 2 hours for a belly paint. I interview the mom ahead of time and find out what her ideas are. I ask questions about what she likes and try and come up with something significant for the family. If the ideas aren't flowing already, then ask about the baby room colours/theme or a favourite character or book. I come with a basic sketch in hand and maybe some photos of key elements to incorporate for detail. Bold designs are good so it's recognizable from a distance. There are a lot of photos taken from far away and the design can look pretty small if it's a photo of the whole family. The photo below is of a mom whose nickname is sunshine. We live on the westcoast and they love the ocean. If you look at the sunset closely you can see a silhouette of the family including the couple's other child and the dog.

I use the zero gravity chair and the base of a cheap office chair with the back removed. You can adjust the height so you're low down but still supported. I start with the mom standing for the sketch and usually end with her standing too and finish the details. My moms have all been really comfortable and haven't needed more than a couple breaks. I guess I've been lucky.

It's kinda fun as you paint, baby often kicks and moves around where you're painting. I'm not sure if he can feel anything because the brush is pretty light, but there's something going on there.

How to get started with first belly?  Simple design ideas? Ep104038
CATZ
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by poizonedpeach Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Magna what a beautiful design!! Here's my first belly paint (inspired by Kristal)
How to get started with first belly?  Simple design ideas? Face_p16
poizonedpeach
poizonedpeach

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks Linda and Magna for the great tips!!! They are so helpful to me and I'm sure other belly virgins will find them helpful too!

Anita and Whitney -- Thanks for sharing the photos of the simple designs -- they look great and seem to be attainable by someone less experienced like me.

Lizz -- it looks great -- I hope my first belly looks good enough for me to post a photo....

Please keep the simple designs and tips coming Smile

MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Post by fluttersby Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:45 pm

I also appreciate the tips. I will be doing my first belly painting in a few months and want to start getting some ideas. Well, as soon as she finds out (if she finds out) if she is having a boy or a girl. I have a prospect of going to work in an OB's office as a medical assistant. I think after I established myself there I might be able to find some expectant moms who would want to be painted also. I appreciate everyone on this forum so much for their input and willingness to help all of us newcomers, especially when you don't even know us.
fluttersby
fluttersby

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down