Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tall director's chair vs. FatMax.... FatMax will be winning!

+13
creative lady
Noella
Amanda H.
Lady Jayde
ChangingFaceDesigns
Perry Noia
SuzySparkles
Psalmbook
AngieAnders
Kristal
CottonKandyClown
Fabtastic
BarbieSmith
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tall director's chair vs. FatMax.... FatMax will be winning! - Page 2 Empty Re: Tall director's chair vs. FatMax.... FatMax will be winning!

Post by AUSSIE3070 Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:39 am

Noella wrote:I have a tall directors chair I use for makeup, but for events and kids I just this summer found something that works amazing for me..... it is a folding "deck" chair like the aluminum directors chairs, short like a regular chair, and has a fold down table that folds across at the arm height. *I* sit in it to work - and have the child hold on to the table with both hands. They are positioned perfectly and so far haven't got squirmy (hands are occupied). Yes, they are sitting on the edge of the chair (or have to pull their chair closer), but it keeps them within easy arm's reach no matter what.

what a GREAT idea! Love it! Thank you so much for sharing. Where did you find the chair with the table? I live in Australia so this may or may not be helpful. . . we'll see. I get the child to lean forward, crossing their arms on my knees . . this way they cant move as much and hands are occupied. I like the thought of their arms being on the table instead - more comfortable for the child with me being a stranger. I'm sold on your set up for sure as I don't fancy standing to paint for hours
AUSSIE3070
AUSSIE3070

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2010-09-27

Back to top Go down

Tall director's chair vs. FatMax.... FatMax will be winning! - Page 2 Empty Re: Tall director's chair vs. FatMax.... FatMax will be winning!

Post by Netsirk1976 Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:09 am

http://www.redwrappings.com.au/product/1001392

and Fatmax's are now at Bunnings!!!
Netsirk1976
Netsirk1976

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2010-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:01 pm

AUSSIE3070 wrote:
Noella wrote:I have a tall directors chair I use for makeup, but for events and kids I just this summer found something that works amazing for me..... it is a folding "deck" chair like the aluminum directors chairs, short like a regular chair, and has a fold down table that folds across at the arm height. *I* sit in it to work - and have the child hold on to the table with both hands. They are positioned perfectly and so far haven't got squirmy (hands are occupied). Yes, they are sitting on the edge of the chair (or have to pull their chair closer), but it keeps them within easy arm's reach no matter what.

what a GREAT idea! Love it! Thank you so much for sharing. Where did you find the chair with the table? I live in Australia so this may or may not be helpful. . . we'll see. I get the child to lean forward, crossing their arms on my knees . . this way they cant move as much and hands are occupied. I like the thought of their arms being on the table instead - more comfortable for the child with me being a stranger. I'm sold on your set up for sure as I don't fancy standing to paint for hours

It was at a Canadian chain - not sure where it would be available for you, but maybe you can search on the manufacturer?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/FurnitureChairsTables/PRDOVR~0761451P/Broadstone%252BFolding%252BChair%252Bwith%252BTray.jsp?locale=en

I've not seen it before - and at first I was thinking for them to sit in, but once I got my brain around *me* sitting in it, all my problems were solved.....
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by SillyIzzy Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:36 pm

SuzySparkles wrote:I have the kid on the directors chair and I sit on a regular chair in front of them with my *fat max rip off* sitting right next to me

Mind if I inquire where you got such a thing? I' sure I could find it if I look, but, you know. Ha, I'm just trying to buy the cheapest best quality things I can, since all the money for my face painting supplies comes out of my pocket, and sadly, being 13, I really can't have a job. Laughing
SillyIzzy
SillyIzzy

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2009-07-20

http://www.funkyfacespainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AUSSIE3070 Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:43 am

Thanks Noella . . . I've seen these and am sure I'll find it a camping store or Hardware store in the patio etc section. Thanks - I think this will be the solution for me too.

Thanks again!
AUSSIE3070
AUSSIE3070

Back to top Go down

Post by AUSSIE3070 Sun May 15, 2011 7:10 am

I have since seen a video where the chair (a kitchen type chair) was reversed and the child put their legs through the chair (if that makes sense) and leant on the the top of the chair - that way they are 'straddling' the chair and their face is right in front of the face painter . . . it's brilliant and that way the face painter doesn't have to lean forward at all!

I'm doing this next time!
AUSSIE3070
AUSSIE3070

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Sun May 15, 2011 7:27 am

LOL, thank you for resurecting this thread! I am the OP and I have switched strategies DRASTICALLY in the past few months. My back is currently injured, and sitting in *chairs* to FP is not the cause of the injury, but definitely contributed~! That very slight lean that the FP'er must do to get closer to the child is a big problem for me, I am learning. Today I have a 5 hour gig, and I will be standing up VERY straight, and will have the tall chair for the children. Two things I will do differently than usual: 1) the children MUST get themselves in to the chair by themselves (or their parents, just not me!), and 2) I will not be leaning over to get sponges, Qtips, etc. from the middle and bottom layers of my FatMax - everything from these 2 layers will be put on a small table next to me. Once my back heals, I will revert back to lifting kids and bending to get stuff from my FatMax, but I am unsure if I will continue with the 2 matching chairs Smile

Regards,]
Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic Sun May 15, 2011 8:55 am

Oh no Barbie - I hope your back heals soon!! Do you have a step stool that the kids can use to get up there themselves? I found a nice folding one and I just sometimes hold their hand as they climb up.

I have recently switched to standing while painting and I do indeed prefer it for a number of reasons. But I think the folding Ikea chair I bought is not quite tall enough - I find myself stooping and bending to reach the faces of little ones. The seat height of my chair is 29". I want to buy a folding director's chair but not unless I know for sure that the seat height is at least a few inches higher than that. I can't seem to find any listings that indicate the seat height of the tall director's chairs. Could someone measure theirs and let me know? I would really appreciate it!!
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Sun May 15, 2011 1:03 pm

Fabtastic wrote:Oh no Barbie - I hope your back heals soon!! Do you have a step stool that the kids can use to get up there themselves? I found a nice folding one and I just sometimes hold their hand as they climb up.

I have recently switched to standing while painting and I do indeed prefer it for a number of reasons. But I think the folding Ikea chair I bought is not quite tall enough - I find myself stooping and bending to reach the faces of little ones. The seat height of my chair is 29". I want to buy a folding director's chair but not unless I know for sure that the seat height is at least a few inches higher than that. I can't seem to find any listings that indicate the seat height of the tall director's chairs. Could someone measure theirs and let me know? I would really appreciate it!!

I meant to look the other day when you asked and I forgot - my cat doesn't thank you (she was asleep in my lap) - but I went now before I could forget again - the seat is 30.5" high. I have the kind that has the single bar across for foot rest and the back is straight (don't know if the other type is a different height).
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic Sun May 15, 2011 2:31 pm

LOL my apologies to your cat!! Thank you so much for that, Noella, I do appreciate it. Hmm... somehow I thought they must be taller than that, since so many people who are taller than me seem to have no trouble with them. But maybe that 1 1/2" makes enough of a difference - I bet it does, actually... Thanks again! Very Happy
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Sun May 15, 2011 3:09 pm

I'm "short" (5'2") but I put a firm cushion on the bottom (and back) if it is a small child - takes them up another 2-3".
Noella
Noella

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosenberg-Cox Thu May 19, 2011 2:49 pm

I tried to paint sitting (I also use a faxmax) but just could not do it. Good shoes and 2 tall director chairs later, I have found I prefer standing and walking when I paint. I have a portable high table I put between the two chairs for frequently used items and a pallet that I wear on my hand/wrist. Who knew!
Rosenberg-Cox
Rosenberg-Cox

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-08-27

http://www.facepainting.coxmanor.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Thu May 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Debbiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii welcome back.....so nice to see you posting again.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2