Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Am too tall for the fatmax

+7
a face painting mom
TheGildedCat
MasterpieceFacePainting
Geekophile
Miss Ronnie
erica21
sammie star creation
11 posters

Go down

Am too tall for the fatmax  Empty Am too tall for the fatmax

Post by sammie star creation Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:26 am

I went to bunnnings today to check the fatmax is cost aus$149, am so sad i pull it open and found that the whole fatmax was to short am 5ft10 and i stand when i paint, if i sat to paint the fatmax would be fine. my hubby couldn't justify the price he said it too expense but man wish i had it my size Laughing Crying or Very sad
sammie star creation
sammie star creation

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Am too tall for the fatmax  Empty Re: Am too tall for the fatmax

Post by erica21 Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:25 am

There are some great threads on here all about the fat max and how people use it differently - standing sitting/ client standing/sitting. I'm sure I remember at least one person as tall as you uses it while standing up - maybe you could paint from a surface the same height as the fat max to see how you go (maybe it takes some getting used to - although you would know quite quick if your back starts hurting). I got a fat max from my parents for Christmas (a huge surprise!) and love it for storing all my stuff away from curious little people as well as the amazing fast set up for practicing (I'm a newie). Also got to love that it's got so much room for me to buy more supplies that I really need - no want - no need!!! ha ha Laughing
erica21
erica21

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2011-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by sammie star creation Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:47 am

hey Erica

my set up i use fit my height, i have a tall high directors and bifolded table which can be adjusted which work really well for me because i don't have to bent down i have issues with my back, whats funny is that everyone set up look so awesome which makes me want a fatmax so bad Laughing
sammie star creation
sammie star creation

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

Post by erica21 Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:06 am

Oh right. I get it - I have spent so many happy happy hours looking through threads showing everyone's set ups - and I've never grow tired of looking! What's up with that? Oh well! Made me really want a fatmax too! Very Happy
erica21
erica21

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2011-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:58 am

It is cool to look at, definately, but... too big, too bulky and too heavy if filled for me. I only want to take what I need = what I will actually USE. I don't carry "just in case" anymore.

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss Ronnie Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:32 am

Fat Max is perfect for those of us who have to sit while painting... but it is quite low for those who stand so there would be lots of bending or stooping over if you are tall.
Miss Ronnie
Miss Ronnie

Number of posts : 3089
Registration date : 2011-08-28

http://www.wix.com/missronnie/fantasyfaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:56 pm

I'm envious of the fatmax because of the all-in-one storage. Not so much for at the gig- because I have a few different configurations that work for me depending on the job- but for at home! I have Face paint stuff stashed here and there all over the house. A rolling box with my water, wipes, sponges (that fits in the hall closet). A tool box with my most used paints(erm. that lives on the kitchen table). A Guncase (thanks Anniel!) fixed up with legs for festivals (that doesn't fit anywhere so we are all just resigned to trip over it). Maybe it's time to consolidate Exclamation
Geekophile
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterpieceFacePainting Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:09 pm

Theb FatMax is tempting, especially after reading what everyone says about it, but like you, I can't justify the cost... And I love my roll-up table too much to give it up...
MasterpieceFacePainting
MasterpieceFacePainting

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-11-11

http://www.masterpiecefacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm in the too-tall boat as well at 5'11" barefoot. I really tried to justify one and goofed around with it for about 20 minutes at a Home Depot to try to see if I could make it work, but at the end of the day, it's just too short to paint out of. The only reason I'd get it is to eliminate also carrying a table with me.

Even my tall director's chair is just a bit too low when the little ones get into it!
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:40 pm

So did you get the plano rolling rifle case Geekophile? I am still searching for my set up...have the max, not quite it for me. My daughter wants a max for the airbrush supplies, so once I find what I want, I can hand it down. Can you send a pic of what you are doing with your rifle case?
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Stacia Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:36 pm

I work from my Fat Max, but I'm 5'3". For once I have found an advantage to being short! Laughing cheers
Stacia
Stacia

Number of posts : 750
Registration date : 2010-07-13

https://www.facebook.com/BoiseFacePainting

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:47 pm

Actually, I found a Bad booty Pelican rifle case in a pawn shop for $50! It has a sheet of 2" foam on each side that I cut out so all my goodies fit in snug. I had my father-in-law screw on plumbing flanges. I keep the pipe legs in an old camping chair bag and cary them separate. Screw em' in, pop it open and paint. But now I wish I had sprung for some folding legs since assembly isn't quite as slick as I wished for. Also, even though I say clearly that I need such and such space to set up- I rarely get that much when it comes to birthday parties. So I really only use it for public events. Even with all that space, there are some things I can't figure out how to fit- like my water jug and dirty sponge bucket. I always have to cary that seprate too.
Am too tall for the fatmax  Img01811
Geekophile
Geekophile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:55 pm

What about using a pop-up water container and then just filling it when you get there?
Is there no way to fit your sponge bags (dirty/clean) inside for transport?
I really like your setup. I am trying it on in my mind to see if that's the way I want to go.
Can you change out your legs for the kind that stay attached, but fold up? Or is it too late?
It looks like the 'lid' half of the case is used too, and has legs. It seems like your water bucket is there. Could you use that side but just don't?
I wonder also if the lid would lay flat (down) against the main section's legs if you took off the legs on the lid. That way your table would only take up half the space at birthday parties. Or would the hinges not allow the lid to pivot that far...?

I'm looking at this and thinking how much more stuff could be fit in there without the foam, if it was a magnetic setup like Lady Jayde's.
Not that I have all that much more, but I have a long wish list!

So many questions... Just wheels turning... Hope you don't mind.
1HappyNut
1HappyNut

Number of posts : 632
Registration date : 2011-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:17 pm

I like the gun case too..nice job on the legs..I can see where you now may want the folding legs...but what a great set up..
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Also, just another thought...

If the hinges don't allow the lid to fall all the way down/flat and you needed the table to take up less space (like those birthday parties you mentioned), what about having something to prop it straight up (sort of like the hood of a car - except it would keep it at a 90 degree angle? It would look sort of like those camp kitchens (ya know?)... If that makes any sense.
1HappyNut
1HappyNut

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:47 pm

Here is the thing: the case is heavy. if you don't have the back legs it will fall right over. It's also a little wobbly- it's not gonna tip, but you definately don't want kids to hang on it.

On the back side I have a three cup and bucket system- Perfect for long festivals. Really dirty water, used sponges, and trash go in the big bucket. The only thing that doesn't fit when it folds is the bucket and my water jug- which is a gallon juice container.
Geekophile
Geekophile

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm 5' 10" too and love my fatmax (hate the name) tongue
But I don't use it to paint from. I like it because I have all my gear together and I don't have to waste time packing and unpacking. I like to have what I need with me and not think, 'dang, I wish I had that '... blah blah. I'm strong too so I don't mind lifting it into the back of my van and up stairs. I can usually delegate someone to do it for me too. Very Happy

I paint standing and have a tall director's chair. I'd like it to be another 6" taller though. I'm thinking of adding a kid's foam seat to the gear that I would put on top of the director's chair when I need it. That way I can have the really little kids a bit higher.

I got a great table at Costco a few years ago that is meant for scrapbooking but works great to have on hand when they don't have a decent table to set my paints on. It's light and the legs fold into the base. You can carry stuff inside (which I did before the fatmax) but then it's too heavy. I only carry my banner and tablecloth in it now.

Am too tall for the fatmax  Fp103010

Am too tall for the fatmax  Efp10910

HappyNut, where are you in BC? I'm in Mission if you ever want to jam sometime and check out my setup Very Happy
CATZ
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Magna! I would LOVE to!! THANKS!!! I am in the sunny Okanagan, so several hours away (5, maybe 6?). But I was born and raised on the Coast, so I visit friends and family a few times a year. I was talking to Krystal about that too. Next time I swing through I will definitely, definitely put out the word to you and see who's interested/available. FUN, FUN, FUN!!!

I know there's a girl on here (her name has slipped my mind) that paints from the fat max with a tall director's chair (chair seat height 30.5" I think), and loves it. She did a great YT video showing her setup. It was lovely and very organized. Made me want one!!
She's 5'4" and I am barely 5'6" so I am hoping I can use the FM to stand and paint also. When I checked it out in the store, however... It was disappointingly short. So I don't know.
I wish they would make the same thing but taller. Or wish that I could figure out a way to prop it up higher, safely.
1HappyNut
1HappyNut

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:55 pm

Where in the Okanagan? My nephew is in Kelowna and his wife has a big daycare. I saw photos of my great nieces being painted at a festival with what looked like acrylic paints! I'd love to have your contact info so I could refer you. Can you message me? Thanks!
CATZ
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1HappyNut Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:06 pm

CATZ wrote:Where in the Okanagan? My nephew is in Kelowna and his wife has a big daycare. I saw photos of my great nieces being painted at a festival with what looked like acrylic paints! I'd love to have your contact info so I could refer you. Can you message me? Thanks!

So kind!

Pm'd you.
1HappyNut
1HappyNut

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down