Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tall director's chair vs. FatMax.... FatMax will be winning!

+13
creative lady
Noella
Amanda H.
Lady Jayde
ChangingFaceDesigns
Perry Noia
SuzySparkles
Psalmbook
AngieAnders
Kristal
CottonKandyClown
Fabtastic
BarbieSmith
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tall director's chair vs. FatMax.... FatMax will be winning! Empty Tall director's chair vs. FatMax.... FatMax will be winning!

Post by BarbieSmith Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:22 pm

Okay, I have done 3 back-to-back-to-back gigs today, each with a very, very different setup. And I discovered that I do NOT like my tall director's chair. I cannot believe it! I mean, it is gorgeous, and a very high quality one, and the kids love it because they look so very important in it, and it is the "star" of my tent. Read on for why I am unhappy with it...

You see, I *insist* on painting out of my FatMax. It is still not second-nature, but I am getting better at it, and I really want to get GREAT at it. But in order to replenish my brush, or rinse it, or grab a rainbow cake, or just about *anything* I have to bend over just a wee bit... to get to the FatMax (yes, even the top tier, where I keep oft-used items, I am 5'6"). That little bit of bending over, compounded over time, really hurts my lower back and it takes valuable seconds - often!

I was so very HAPPY on that stupid picnic table bench I was on today though! My FatMax and I and the child were all at the same height, and my arms and back LOVED it.

So now, I think I will invest in 2 short director's chairs. I hope I do not regret my decision. Any input or thoughts before I do this?

Thanks,
Barbie

Also, anyone in York, PA want a 2-month old, brand spanking new tall director's - black, a premium model, at 25% off what I purchased it for (and no shipping)?

BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Tall director's chair vs. FatMax.... FatMax will be winning! Empty Re: Tall director's chair vs. FatMax.... FatMax will be winning!

Post by Fabtastic Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Hmm I've been wondering about that. I bought a FatMax and have been working out of it using two regular-height folding chairs - it is nice to have everything right at the right height. But sometimes I have to stand up to get the right angle of approach, and at those time I think, "Gee, I wish I had a tall director's chair". Also, when I find myself leaning forward, leaning forward, leaning forward, because the child keeps leaning further back, I think it might be a good idea to get one. My back was killing me today after a 4-hour event. But I've also suspected that the tall director's chair is not necessarily the right answer either. Wish I could try one out though, to see how I like it.
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Tall director's chair vs. FatMax.... FatMax will be winning! Empty Re: Tall director's chair vs. FatMax.... FatMax will be winning!

Post by BarbieSmith Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Keep a wide pillow on the back half of the chair -preferably a highly decorated, over stuffed, one (not a sleeping one) - the kids know not to sit on it, so they mostly sit in the front half of the chair, which is right where I want them!
Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:49 pm

I will try that, thanks. Sometimes they just tip their heads further and further back though - what's up with that!?! Rolling Eyes
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:24 pm

I hate when they start leaning there head back. Razz The pillow sounds like a great idea!

I had a gig last night and back was killing me by the end of the night!
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:25 pm

Hazel - then I tell them to stop running away from me Razz I know some painters put their hand on top of their head - I prefer to have their chin in my hand. I feel like I have more control then.

And your poor backs! Sitting to paint hurts mine, ergo I love my tall director's chair. I work off a table though, not out of a FatMax, so everything's at the right height. (I request a table in my contract, which is "...minimum size 34"X34", kitchen table height" and I'll still get coffee tables every so often - that's a literal pain.)

I did have my first set of awkward instances with my chair today, though. I had an event for the Downs Syndrome Society Buddy Walk, and it sometimes took 2-3 minutes and 3 adults to help get an adult with DS up into the chair. I wasn't much help, myself (I've got a bum knee and back), so luckily there were always adults around ready to lend a hand, or I'd have had to have swapped for a regular chair or something.

How high are the short directors chairs versus the tall, versus regular, say, kitchen chairs?
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:22 pm

I simply cannot sit to paint. If I am at a LONG gig (8+ hours) I will bring a stool to perch on occasionally, but even then I am in and out of it constantly. My back would kill me, leaning forward to paint. I don't know how you sitters do it! scratch I do always have the child lean forward in the chair so I am not slumping to reach them. Every single child automatically leans back against the backrest, and the first thing I do is have them scoot forward and lean toward me. If they are very small I also have their head tilted upward as much as possible so I am not bent over trying to see them.

I agree though, if you want to use a Fat Max, you'll need to sit. If it were me, I think I would get two stools though, so that I could get closer to the child. You could pull their stool between your knees and have them lean forward as much as possible, which would ease your back. I don't know how two director's chairs would work, since you couldn't get very close together?
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:48 pm

Angie's back! Yay! Very Happy

I'm the same. Also at, say, PPF events, I just don't think it looks good if I'm sitting when I have no line. Like I'm not actively after business/kind of lazy? That's just my feeling, though. I will sit myself in my director's chair if I have a break, but won't be there for longer than a few minutes.
Kristal
Kristal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:30 am

I use tall director's chairs for make-up and in my studio, but on the job it isn't feasible for me... I hate leaning over to paint the kids and getting them up and down is not safe.

So I sit facing them... I'm okay as I can stretch and turn while sitting. Just standing up at the end of 9 hours is PAINFUL - my knees lock in position.

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:20 am

My back problems went away when I stopped sitting(got good shoes) and switched to the director's chair. I'm only 5' 3" so I've not had a big bending problem w/ the Fatmax. Instead of 2 director's chair why not switch to 2 stools? They have nice black ones at Walmart that fold. This is what I used to use. Children are forced not to lean back if there's no back to lean on. For the real little ones I ask a parent to stand behind the child, just in case.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:27 am

Shannon, do you bring your own chairs or do you accept whatever the client provides? Do you have any preferences?
Thank you,
Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:00 am

Oh, and wanted to say that things got better when I took some advice from here: it is okay to put the child in the PERFECT position for YOU to paint. First of all, kids rarely get uncomfortable in weird positions, and secondly, they will only be in unusual positions for a very short time; whereas you will be in place for hours. Hence, move the child around as you need, move their head way to side to get from one ear to the other - don't be shy about it. If you take gentle and firm control, the kids work with you happily!
Barbie
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:37 am

I have the kid on the directors chair and I sit on a regular chair in front of them with my *fat max rip off* sitting right next to me
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:11 am

SuzySparkles wrote:I have the kid on the directors chair and I sit on a regular chair in front of them with my *fat max rip off* sitting right next to me

If I did that I'd be painting their knees Razz
Kristal
Kristal

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:13 pm

BarbieSmith wrote:Shannon, do you bring your own chairs or do you accept whatever the client provides? Do you have any preferences?
Thank you,
Barbie

Normally whatever the client provides ... I've used bar stools, hassocks, lawn chairs, footstools, picnic tables, stumps... as long as I get two of equal height.

For long events/festivals we bring our lawn chairs with awnings but I usually don't use them for the kids... they are for us to relax in. Kids can sit on a milk crate if necessary.

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:51 pm

Kristal wrote:Angie's back! Yay! Very Happy

Very Happy Thanks Kristal! I've missed you!
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:09 pm

I love both my director's chair and my FatMax, but I don't work out of the FatMax usually.... I do it if I must at parties (I don't bring my director's chair for parties, only use it at long events), but I prefer to use a table for my equipment.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:22 pm

I now absolutely refuse to paint sitting down at any event that is over an hour long, my back just can not take it. I did it for too many years painting at the same height and was miserable and stiff at the end of every gig.

I am 6ft tall and and am grateful for that tall directors chair. It put the kids at a comfortable height for me, and wearing the right athletic shoes I can stand for hours without being tired. I do have a secondary chair if there is a lull or I am on a break to sit in, but aside from that I prefer to stand and I work right out of my Fat Max just fine
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:44 am

As far as shoes go, here in Florida, it's to hot for athletic shoes. Most flip flops are too thin & your feet ache after an hour. I got the Skeechers Tone-Ups(their flip flop version of the Shape up. Praise God! My feet are in heaven!!! I can work for 8 hours straight on my feet & I may be really tired, but my feet don't ache! Love, love love these shoes!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:49 am

Oh believe me Psalm I know full too well how it gets in Florida. My six brothers and sisters still live there and that is my father's home (Orlando)
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:13 am

I'm 5'9-1/4 (that quarter inch counts too!) and I can't sit and paint if I plan on being a functioning human being afterwards! I've also taken to bringing a table as a back up even though I ask the clients to provide a table (no chairs though because I use my beautiful black director's chair with a big pillow in the back to keep the kiddos up close and personal. I use a step stool in the front of the chair to help the kids with getting down and it slides right under the chair when I don't need it.

The back up table idea was a godsend this weekend when I went paint at a birthday party this weekend. The lady said she had everything set up for me, table and all. When I got there, she had a... get this... one of those Step 1 plastic tables kids use for tea parties. The table didn't even come to my knees!...I'm about 60% legs...can you imagine? She had the nerve to ask if that would be okay! Yeah...doing full waist bends everytime I needed to load my brush would be fine! I told her that I stood when I painted and that I brought a tall chair and still she thought that a child's tea party table would suffice. Glad I had my back up in the back of my truck!
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda H. Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:22 am

I work out of my Fat max with a tall directors chair. I have 2 pieces of hardboard cut to the shape of my fat max & use the top part as a table, putting a table cloth over the whole thing.
It does mean that the only things I keep in the top section I have to move out. But by doing this the table top is the perfect height for me. It also means that I can work all day without back ache. I am 5'6"

Amanda H.

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-02-18

http://visage-design.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:58 pm

I have a tall directors chair I use for makeup, but for events and kids I just this summer found something that works amazing for me..... it is a folding "deck" chair like the aluminum directors chairs, short like a regular chair, and has a fold down table that folds across at the arm height. *I* sit in it to work - and have the child hold on to the table with both hands. They are positioned perfectly and so far haven't got squirmy (hands are occupied). Yes, they are sitting on the edge of the chair (or have to pull their chair closer), but it keeps them within easy arm's reach no matter what.
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:19 pm

Lady Jayde wrote:I'm 5'9-1/4 (that quarter inch counts too!) and I can't sit and paint if I plan on being a functioning human being afterwards! I've also taken to bringing a table as a back up even though I ask the clients to provide a table (no chairs though because I use my beautiful black director's chair with a big pillow in the back to keep the kiddos up close and personal. I use a step stool in the front of the chair to help the kids with getting down and it slides right under the chair when I don't need it.

The back up table idea was a godsend this weekend when I went paint at a birthday party this weekend. The lady said she had everything set up for me, table and all. When I got there, she had a... get this... one of those Step 1 plastic tables kids use for tea parties. The table didn't even come to my knees!...I'm about 60% legs...can you imagine? She had the nerve to ask if that would be okay! Yeah...doing full waist bends everytime I needed to load my brush would be fine! I told her that I stood when I painted and that I brought a tall chair and still she thought that a child's tea party table would suffice. Glad I had my back up in the back of my truck!

OK, mom... it's ok, IF you stand next to me & do toe touches each time I bend over for paint tongue
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by creative lady Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:38 am

I use a tall chair, about the height of a director chair, and a padded stool that is normal height. I find if I sit on the stool I can reach the small kids without leaning over, and I can reach the taller ones if I stand. So sort of both worlds. and it works for me, I can't sit or stand for any length of time.
Just my two cents worth...

creative lady

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2010-09-29

http://wix.com/creativeladies/Our-Creative-Imaginings-Face

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next