Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breaking "New" Ground

+5
Deleena Cannon
CreateFaces
Psalmbook
Tash
Kristal
9 posters

Go down

Breaking "New" Ground Empty Breaking "New" Ground

Post by Kristal Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:03 am

I went to a baby shower today for a friend who's due in December - I haven't been to a party where I'm not working in ages! I brought along a balloon stork (about 3' squared in size) and a newly made certificate for a complimentary belly painting.

Okay, so it's not that it's a weird business to be in here, but the majority of people have no idea that people even do this kind of art!

Gave out some cards after people had asked one of the hostesses who had made the balloon, and all was grand until present time. Only the handful of people I knew there know what I do, so there were a good 30-40 who didn't. Dozens of onesies, two diaper cakes, the usual assortment of ridiculously adorable clothing etc, and they get to my card (Talk about feeling weird when everyone's got these GIANT gift bags full of baby gear and I just have a card!). The mommy-to-be thanks me and tells everyone, "she's going to paint my belly!" and you can FEEL everyone go, "...oh. Mmmkay...That's weird. She should have brought socks." Razz Probably not that last part, but there was nothing visual to "aww!" about and I bet no one there had even heard of belly painting.

So I'm not asking a question, or even really venting - but I wanted to share my paranoia about being perceived as being a crappy gift giver, haha. I have ideas and I know it will be adorable, but I also wanted to set up a slide show or something and say "SEE?! THIS is what I mean! This is a $200+ service!" I know it will take a while for this to catch on here; I just wish it would speed up a bit Razz

UGH. I hate self-doubt. I'm really good at it, but I wish I wasn't!
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Breaking "New" Ground Empty Re: Breaking "New" Ground

Post by Tash Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:57 am

haha..... don't beat yourself up - it's an awesome gift - at least the mummy to be knew it.
Belly Paintings are not big here in OZ either..... I have offered and recently a friend of mine has taken me up on it - but most people just think it's a bit strange. I wonder if someone had offered to me when i was pregnant wether I would have wanted to do it or not - I wasn't one of those proud mummies to be and I found my bump awkward and uncomfortable.
Share with us when you've done it please!
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:51 am

I've had a lot of people take my post card, but so far, no bites. The only person excited about getting painted was another face painter & a lady at a church picnic(I did a 10 minute butterfly design).
I'm just waiting for it to take flight. Wish I could get a news promo shot or something.
Have you dropped of any promotional materials at Lamaze classes, birthing centers, Yoga places(yoga people are also very into their bodies & body painting)?
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:39 am

Awww...I know what you mean this is such a huge pet peeve (seems like it happens to all of us.) There are 2 fundraisers at my daughter's school that are very "fancy smancy." Each year, the school solicits gift cards/certificates, sporting event tickets and high-end gift baskets from companies who sponsor them.

The gifts then go to the highest bidders in a silent auction at the end of a gala dinner.

Well, during the PTO planning meeting last year, lots of people gave their ideas for what companies to approach and there were lots of "Ooooh, that's a great idea!" responses.

I stated my intention to donate a gift certificate for 2 hours of service and got one "Oh, okay that's good." It was my first year as a Mum at this school and the others had no idea the value of this donation. For a moment, I felt like a "crappy giver" like you said. Then I snapped out of it.

So I was not offended or deterred, simply went home, printed out my gift certificate (which is professional and printed on top-notch paper stock) and clipped it together with my brochure, two business cards, two fridge magnets and a cover letter congratulating the future winner and giving instructions on how to redeem the services. Put it all in a large manila envelope and presented it to the PTO event organizer.

At the next planning meeting, the event organizer took out the envelope I had presented to her and went on and on about how wonderful it was. The other mums understood once they saw my brochure and ooohed and aaahed too. I will admit it was vindicating (and a small ego boost) that they finally understood the value of my services.

It's all about educating the public that there are people in the FP business that are professional and valuable...that we're not all craft paint toting mums with no concept of quality.
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Deleena Cannon Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:59 am

it's a fab gift!! My mom Does mothers blessings and has done a henna design on my preggy belly (X2). I have introduced this to all of my friends and they hire her for their mothers blessings. They all love the fact that they get this fantastic belly design but the best part is no one is allowed to bring "material" gifts. They have to be gifts of love by offering their time or services. like, coming to the new mama's house to clean for an hour, babysitting, making a couple of lasagnas to have in the freezer. This,by far, beats the pants off "socks" or another onsie any day!!! So good for you....too bad you couldn't do something while they were there to see you in action. Then they would super appreciate.
Deleena Cannon
Deleena Cannon

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2010-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Annette Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:35 am

I love the concept of Mother's blessings!!! That would be great for those who have a couple of kids already and are expecting again. I sure would have loved that.

Annette

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.facestofollow.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CreateFaces Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:12 am

Deleena Cannon wrote:They have to be gifts of love by offering their time or services. like, coming to the new mama's house to clean for an hour, babysitting, making a couple of lasagnas to have in the freezer.
This is such a great concept!
CreateFaces
CreateFaces

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2009-09-15

http://www.create-a-face.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Deleena Cannon Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:57 am

http://colleengarland.com/henna/?page_id=14

There is a bit more to the mothers blessing. Here is my mom's write up on it on her website. It is a wonderful idea for moms. Its nice because you go around the room and ask "how do you know the mother to be and how would you describer her." It usually brings tears...but in a good way. These days the only time someone says something nice about their friend is usually at a funeral, sad really. What a nice way to tell someone how they make you feel and how much you love them to their face in a positive environment. Very moving.
Deleena Cannon
Deleena Cannon

Back to top Go down

Post by Deleena Cannon Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:00 pm

Sorry Kristal....I didn't mean to over run your thread here. I believe your gift was extremely valuable because it was from you to your friend. Not a store bought gift.
Deleena Cannon
Deleena Cannon

Back to top Go down

Post by CATZ Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:46 pm

We're a very visual or money driven society. It helps to print example photos and put a $200 value amount on it. You coulda borrowed some of mine Very Happy

I always have a binder with me full of photos. Even when I go to the grocery store because you never know who you'll run into that says 'hey, whatcha been doin'?" It's hard to give full impact strictly with words. There is such a low expectation on what we do. It's funny how reactions to 'the facepainter is here' changes as the event unfolds. In the beginning the kids are excited, and after you do some work the adults get excited.

So bottom line Kristal, you and I are raising the bar here in the lower mainland cheers
CATZ
CATZ

Number of posts : 887
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.CATZfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:32 am

@ Tash - thanks, yeah, I know. I stumbled upon an article saying that painted bumps are becoming the in thing - my guess is that depends on location! I'd like to think there are a lot of people who would be interested - I'm thinking mainly of those who do the belly photos where they're only wearing a tube top and boy cut shorts etc - because clearly they're ok with their body's being on display, kwim? I will definitely post photos Smile

@ Linda - my focus is a bit scattered right now - I've got a trade show next week I've been prepping for, and a bunch of office stuff that's slowly getting crossed off the list - but dropping info off at birthing centres etc - a good idea! It's on my mental list.

@ Cheryl - Thank you for sharing that! I had printed out a GC as well, and included it in my card. You know how at some parties, presents get passed around and everyone gets to look? Not this one. There was an action shot of me painting my last belly at the top, but only the parents-to-be saw it. I know that whoever sees the finished belly/photos will have a "Oh! That's what she meant!" moment, but still.

I guess I should have put the value - it slipped my mind.

@ Deleena - all hijacking is forgiven Razz The idea of mother's blessing is great! I can see that being a hit, but also that it would be - not "better" or "more helpful" but financially better? - for a 2nd/3rd etc child. My reasoning? New parents still have to buy everything for their newborn, and I hear it's pricey Razz I know most want things rather than the non-material items because whether the house is clean or not, they still need sleepers, right?! But if they keep everything, they'll have onesies etc for the next child(ren).

@ Magna - We are, I know. There was a parent on the JRFM page on FB complaining about how it costs so much to send her kids to school because they had to have a new lululemon hoodie 0_o SAVE THE MONEY!! Someone bought the baby an elephant shaped piggy bank (elephant bank?) from TIFFANY...and everyone oohed over that. I just looked it up - $95USD. For a bank!? Are you kidding me?!

I had a mini photo on the GC, and I have my cards with a couple of pix on it, but I don't often carry around a portfolio to a party I'm not working at Razz The mom to be has hired me for a birthday before, so she knows my rates; ergo I would assume she knows that a belly painting isn't a cheap service. For anyone else, if I was doing a GC, value on it for sure.

And YES - the bar is already being raised! We will take it astronomically higher Razz

That's actually how I gage a level of success, haha - what the adults think.

Kids won't lie - they'll tell you if they think you're great, and they'll say if it doesn't look like what it's supposed to. Adults who don't know what fp's can do don't generally have very high expectations - so I rate a "Wow, that's pretty good" rather high - it takes them a bit to admit that something that's supposed to be for children is actually really cool! And then there are the adults who you want to hire to be your groupies; when they gush and tell you multiple times that they didn't know face painting could be like this - you've won!

I think I need another night to sleep it off, haha.
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Kristal- I think you just need to find the right audience! I know quite a bunch of people that would go for the belly painting, especially in birthing circles. You should get in touch with any doula's (birth assistants) in your area. Many offer belly casting and henna themselves along with prenatal photography! Belly painting would be a great thing for collaborating! (The major doula organizations are DONA, CAPPA and ALACE so you could start there , just Google the sites and there should be listings of doulas and look for doulas in your area to contact). Also don't forget midwives/birth centers! It could be a great service just waiting for you to set up through various outlets! Be sure to post your info in your local health food stores and co-ops too!

aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:07 pm

btw I don't know anyone who's taken Lamaze recently (do they actually still offer that? I am a former doula and don't recall ever seeing it offered) The big natural birthing classes now are "Birthing from Within", "Hypnobirthing" and "Bradley Method" so check those out those too in your area for people to spread your info too! That is the audience that will eat it up IMHO!
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

Post by pjhamel Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:33 pm

You could also see about putting brochures in OBGYN offices for additional advertising. Expectant mothers will be sitting in the waiting room wishing for something to buy their time. They will pick up your brochure because it interests them, and after reading about it they will probably want to get painted.
My mom is friends with a very popular doctor here, and I am going to see if he will let me do this.
pjhamel
pjhamel

Number of posts : 673
Registration date : 2010-01-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Naples-FL/Naples-Face-Art/15236981

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down