Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

choosing a business name

+4
chicneek
BluAngL83
Perry Noia
Deleena Cannon
8 posters

Go down

choosing a business name Empty choosing a business name

Post by Deleena Cannon Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi, guys. okay, so i have a 2 questions. Firstly, do I "need" a business license for my first year? Secondly, I am trying to think of a name. I do not want steal another persons name accidentally and get into trouble. If someone in Egypt (I am in Canada) has that as a business name can I still use it? LOL. I know how silly this sounds but just making sure.
Deleena Cannon
Deleena Cannon

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2010-07-25

Back to top Go down

choosing a business name Empty Re: choosing a business name

Post by Perry Noia Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:15 pm

On the topic of a business license, you don't NEED one in Ontario until you make more than $30,000 per year (I'm assuming you are in Ontario only because it looks like you took a class from Sean Avram recently from you avatar picture)... You MAY however, want to get some insurance through Clowns Canada just in case.

On the topic of business names, unless you try to call yourself "Oreo" or "Disney" ... I don't think some small business in another state or province will care if you have a similar name to theirs. There isn't much they could really do but ask you to change it or sue you (which would cost more than would really be worth it for most companys).
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Deleena Cannon Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:32 pm

Thanks Perry. Actually I am in Alberta. My Avatar is my first creation from the you tube tutorial from Marvelous Masks. I think he is in Chicago.

I believe that Alberta has the same general rule. I have to make X amount before "needing" a business name. I just wanted to see what you pros do. I am sure that I won't be meeting that amount for the first few years. I will stray away from Oreo and Disney. tee hee. Thanks again for the very helpful information.

By the way, are you a member of CAFABA? I went on the website to figure out how I join and it comes up completely blank.
Deleena Cannon
Deleena Cannon

Back to top Go down

Post by BluAngL83 Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:57 pm

I suggest going to your local government center (county/city, etc..) and inquiring. We have those and small business development centers here, so maybe you guys may also have something similar as well. They can help guide you through the correct steps!
BluAngL83
BluAngL83

Number of posts : 851
Registration date : 2009-06-22

http://www.heavenlyfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by chicneek Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:51 pm

You can find out more about CAFABA from the bodyssey website. The organizers of the conference in Calgary are part of the CAFABA and have told me they are in the process of re-vamping the website. They also offer the opportunity to purchase insurance to their members.
I live in a small town and don't need a business license b/c I'm home-based. Check your area, they are all different.
Use google to search with the names you like and see if they come up. A long time ago I was Twinkle the Clown for a few years before the internet became popular and when I got on the internet and could do searches I found another Twinkle existed somewhere so I changed my name to a different spelling to maintain a unique identity. You can also check member lists on the forum to see what people are using here.
chicneek
chicneek

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2009-07-24

http://danicafaceart.homestead.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:38 pm

I decided to use my name as it's unique to me & I can answer my phone w/, "Hello, this is Linda" and sound professional to clients or friends.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:56 pm

I chose to use my name because like Linda, it is unique to me, but also because in Florida if you have to register a business name that doesn't have your name in it, they charge you an extra $50. After I found that out, it was a no brainer.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:07 pm

LOL, that too.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:29 pm

In Canada you have two associations that offer insurance to face painters - CAFABA and Clowns Canada (I'm with Clowns Canada and you don't have to be a clown to join.)

You can also get your own insurance, or ask if you can add you small home based business to your homeowner's policy (I used to).

As for a business name, just use your own ( choosing a business name Icon_wink that's what I do) it is easier, chequing account doesn't have to be in the business name, and you don't have to worry about sounding like or accidentally copying someone elses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Deleena Cannon Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:14 am

People call me Dee and my family calls me Dee Dee. So I was thinking about going with Dee Dee's Face Painting.

Would still have to sort something out with the Bank though but it would be smart to keep a seperate business account to my personal account.

I am an insurance agent and my company will insure with coverage on my product too so I am pleased about that. I still think it is worth being a part of an association.

Thank you for all your advice I don't need to choose the name until I set up the insurance next week. Who knows I may come up with something spectacular by then.
Deleena Cannon
Deleena Cannon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaci Anne Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:31 pm

I am totally going through a similar issue. The thing is that I plan on putting up a website to advertise my face painting business, but would also like to keep the name a little more general because I hope to add other crafty type things to sell eventually. So for instance, I don't want to use 'such and such faces' as a name, when I would like to offer paintings, crafts, jewelry or other things on my site. A long time ago I was making wire trees and using 'Mystikal Creations' but since then I searched and it seems like anything I can come up with is taken. I put it up as my status update on fb, and got some great suggestions and ideas from friends and family, so Im confident I can figure out something. I just want it to have meaning, and also not sound cheesy, and be catchy. is that too much to askl? lol.
Kaci Anne
Kaci Anne

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-04-22

http://www.MysticalRainbowCreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:39 pm

I like Dee Dee's Face Painting
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaci Anne Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Or Dee Dee's Designs to keep all D words, is kind of cute? either way, hope you find something that you love! I think I've got mine now too!
Kaci Anne
Kaci Anne

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2011-04-22

http://www.MysticalRainbowCreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:52 pm

ok...i am kinda hockie..

my co was named R T brush strokes when i first started. (my initials)

but...my friends said that no one would get it...thus the change to

Arty...

i do like dee dee

but.what about twidle dee dee designs?

or something...?

just thinkin'

good luck!

rebecca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content