Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wolfe Bros workshop -- what to bring?

+6
Painted Dragon
Psalmbook
Metina
lizzie small
Lyndell44
MichelleLA
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wolfe Bros workshop -- what to bring? Empty Wolfe Bros workshop -- what to bring?

Post by MichelleLA Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:09 am

I'm just starting out and have been reading on the board for the past two month -- lots of great information -- but as a newbie, I have lots of questions -- so please bear with me.

I need training and I just found out that Brian and Nick will be holding a two day workshop about an 8 hour drive from me so I just sent in my deposit.

I'm excited and terrified at the same time!!!

Other than the "amateur" Snaz face painting party kits from Michaels, I don't have a pallet -- I was able to get 18ml Snaz primary colors locally, have bought some metallics/sparkles and splits from Metina and the swap forum and have Wolfe Black, White and Gold.

I got a dozen tack sponges locally (thanks for the tip Shannon) and a variety of brushes and some black towels.

What else do I need for the workshop? When they say bring a kit -- what should be in my "workshop" kit?

I need to find something to organize my paints in and have been looking high and low for the scrapbook case that someone posted recently without any lu

Since I don't really have enough experience to have personal preferences yet, which brushes should I bring?

What kind/how many water containers?

What about disposables? Paper towel? Q tips? What do I need and what I'm I missing?

Lots of questions but I don't want to be the complete bumbling idiot at the workshop asking my neighbor for a Q tip (for example) Embarassed

MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

Wolfe Bros workshop -- what to bring? Empty Re: Wolfe Bros workshop -- what to bring?

Post by Lyndell44 Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Under this same topic there is a post about How do I get more organized with photos, etc that may help you out! Good luck!
http://www.facepaintforum.com/new-to-face-painting-f4/how-to-i-get-more-organized-t2287.htm

Lyn
Lyndell44
Lyndell44

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Wolfe Bros workshop -- what to bring? Empty Re: Wolfe Bros workshop -- what to bring?

Post by lizzie small Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:34 pm

You are funny! You will find Nick and Brian delightful teachers. You need only to take your kit with you and a water trough - they normally provide you with a practice head to paint on - its they way they teach, and they are laid back as in horizontal! Honestly, you will learn sooo much, and enjoy yourself doing so - They are patient, very talented teachers, who have a unique style simply because they feed off each other's energy without even noticing it.

Q tips etc are not really necessary - you don't need to turn up with a trailer of equipment...and when you see how limited their kit is, you will be blown away by what they can create with it!

Have fun!

lizzie in Calgary

lizzie small

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-01-23

http://www.puttinontheglitz.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Just bring a few paints, a couple of brush and sponges. They are great and don't require too much!

Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Lyndell44 wrote:Under this same topic there is a post about How do I get more organized with photos, etc that may help you out! Good luck!
http://www.facepaintforum.com/new-to-face-painting-f4/how-to-i-get-more-organized-t2287.htm

Lyn

Thanks Lyn Smile I have read that thread through and have already acquired the Ice Tubes brush organizer and the pallet shown to make splits...

The set ups there are a great reference for future work -- just didn't want to come unprepared, OR overdo it for a 2-day workshop Razz

lizzie small wrote:You are funny! You will find Nick and Brian delightful teachers. You need only to take your kit with you and a water trough - .... ...Q tips etc are not really necessary - you don't need to turn up with a trailer of equipment..

Lizzie -- just was kidding about the Q-tips -- using as an example -- Problem is, I'm such a newbie that I don't really have a "kit" put together yet, and was wanting to make sure that I bring whatever "expendables" that are obvious to the experienced painter, that I might not think of...

Metina wrote:Just bring a few paints, a couple of brush and sponges. They are great and don't require too much!

Any suggestions of which brushes -- from what I've read here it is best to have one each for white, black and other colors -- I'm guessing that doesn't necessarily apply to each and every brush size and type so for example, would 3 #4 rounds and 3 liners (which size?) be ok, and then which other brushes would you recommend? A Filbert (what size/s)? 3/4 flat? others?

Thanks for creating such a fantastic forum!

Last edited by kittee on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:27 pm

Yeah for you! Nick & Brian Wolfe are a blast to learn from & so down to earth!
Just bring your favorite brushes. It's what you're comfortable with. They really don't use tons of brushes, etc & work w/ what they have on hand. Bring baby wipes. If you're like me, your arms & legs will get painted as you practice. Also, a notebook if you're a note taker. I found myself painting in my notebook to remember a technique. I love refering back to the notes & design ideas I got from my classes w/ them.
You are going to have such a good time. They're some of my favorite teachers!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:21 pm

you're going 2 love nick and brian!! the only color you'll need is orange;)

have fun!

ttfn

rebecca

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:43 am

Linda -- Thanks for the suggestions! Ah -- baby wipes ... I have a two year old so that shouldn't be a problem Razz and I love the notebook idea!

Rebecca -- I think I can dig up a couple of shades of orange but I'm more of a teal girl myself.

I'm in SoCal so I look forward to taking one of your (non-private) classes soon.

Still hoping for some feedback on brushes and other things that I should have in a basic kit?
MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by Lyndell44 Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:01 am

I'd say just the basics - two or three of each round- maybe numbers #2, 4, and 6 and one each of a 1/2 inch and 3/4" flat. Maybe a three-pack of round high density sponges, cut in half. That should be enough to get you through the workshop! You may want to get several different types of rounds, as you may decide you like one brand/style better than the others.
Good luck and have fun!

Lyn
Lyndell44
Lyndell44

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks Lyn! That is helpful! I guess I need to pick up a few extra brushes.
MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:46 pm

because they use the practice heads...which are hard to clean, they only allow orange to be used on them

you'll just need orange, white, black and a round #2 or #3 for the wolfe class

they are amaizing teachers...and really nice guys

have a wonderful time

where is their class?

ttfn

rebecca

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:51 pm

This is probably a given, but don't forget your camara. Mine broke at FABAIC & I had to use my phone... it stunk:-(
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Painted Dragon Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:18 am

Not true! You need orange, red, yellow, black, white.

Painted Dragon
Painted Dragon

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-09

http://www.the-painted-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lonnie Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:46 am

rebecca wrote:because they use the practice heads...which are hard to clean, they only allow orange to be used on them

Idea AH! So that's why when someone shows practice heads from one of their classes, there are lots'n lots of orange skulls!!! I've been wondering why they did their skulls in orange lol!
Does the white stain???
Lonnie
Lonnie

Number of posts : 621
Registration date : 2009-07-31

http://www.Lonnies-ansigtsmaling.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Painted Dragon Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:53 am

They use white too. They just use the orange red and yellow to show/practice highlights and shading
Painted Dragon
Painted Dragon

Number of posts : 529
Registration date : 2009-04-09

http://www.the-painted-dragon.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:57 am

rebecca wrote:
you'll just need orange, white, black and a round #2 or #3 for the wolfe class
have a wonderful time...

where is their class?

Thanks for the additional info Smile

I'm going to the class in Sonoma. It's a long drive but luckily I have a place to stay about 30 miles away.
MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gamezgirl Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:42 am

Don't worry...being 'new' you will be forgiven for showing up TOTALLY unprepared! LOL Just kidding. Everyone has good advice, and you really don't need much stuff, and honestly, most people are super about sharing if you happen to have missed packing something.
My short list is
Camera, batteries and memory card
Wipes (and moisturizer to rehydrate after the 75th design you wipe off starts to stain LOL)
Notebook
A disposable coffee cup will even work for your brush water, don't need to be fancy here
I usually use three #4 rounds, one for black, a white one and one for colours
When I go to a workshop, I always wear shorts so I can practice on my legs, more area than just an arm Wink

Have fun! And relax, you will be fine!
Gamezgirl
Gamezgirl

Number of posts : 473
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:25 am

the class in sonoma, is it face painting or body painting?

ttfn,

rebecca

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:44 am

rebecca wrote:the class in sonoma, is it face painting or body painting?

ttfn,

rebecca

Today and tomorrow is face painting --- I'f I'm not mistaken they will be teaching body painting in Vacaville on Monday -- I think SweetLoretta is either organizing or has details....
MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:47 am

Gamezgirl wrote:
Camera, batteries and memory card
Wipes (and moisturizer to rehydrate after the 75th design you wipe off starts to stain LOL)
Notebook
A disposable coffee cup will even work for your brush water, don't need to be fancy here
I usually use three #4 rounds, one for black, a white one and one for colours
When I go to a workshop, I always wear shorts so I can practice on my legs, more area than just an arm Wink

Have fun! And relax, you will be fine!

Thanks for the tip on shorts..... not my favorite thing to wear but I happened to have packed some convertible pants (zip off legs) so I'll have the option Smile Also I totally didn't pack moisturizer so I'll pick some up on the way to class. Thanks again!
MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:35 pm

Kittee, I can't wait to hear how it all went. I'm glad you posted this thread, I've found it VERY interesting as I too am doing a Wolfe Bros course this September in Sydney. I'm sooooo excited bounce bounce bounce
Mandi from Tazzie
Mandi from Tazzie

Number of posts : 1826
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.mandifacepaintingsupplies.com.au

Back to top Go down

Wolfe Bros workshop -- what to bring? Empty Wofe Bros class

Post by MichelleLA Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Mandi from Tazzie wrote:Kittee, I can't wait to hear how it all went. I'm glad you posted this thread, I've found it VERY interesting as I too am doing a Wolfe Bros course this September in Sydney. I'm sooooo excited bounce bounce bounce

Hi Mandi,

Sorry for the delayed response -- I had a great time and learned so much so you will love your course in Sept.

When I arrived, I found out that only Brian Wolfe would be teaching the class because of low enrollment (the organizer really didn't promote it that well) so I was a bit disappointed that I got only half of the duo -- but -- that being said -- Brian Wolf is a fantastic instructor and I got a lot of individual attention.

Somehow the organizer forgot to mention that everyone else in the class was a "haunter" (people who produce and appear in haunted houses for Halloween) -- so the vibe/ interests of the other participants was different but I still learned a lot.

He started with basic line work and then how to highlight and shadow things for a 3D effect. He demonstrated basic girl and boy designs as well as a skull and flames. He also taught a cool tribal scorpion and then demonstrated a full face monster which looked awesome.

The second day was focused on the special fx stuff -- including bruising, cuts, latex stuff which I wasn't quite ready for or prepared for, so while I learned a bit and was exposed to it, Brian continued to work with me on my basic techniques which at my stage was more helpful.

In retrospect I wish I had paid more attention to the special fx stuff but c'est la vie Smile
Brian was awesome give us lots of hands on practice and I'm glad I went. Now I need to take another class to get the full "twin" experience ...

Since then I went to Pashur's 5 day Face Paint University in Vegas which was different but also worth while since I'm just starting out. Gina Niemi was one of the instructors and she is awesome and taught us some brand new designs.

Let us know how your class goes in Sydney!
MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandi from Tazzie Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:37 pm

Hiya Kittee,

Sounds great, shame Nick wasn't there. So what colours for your kit did you end up taking? Did they supply the practice head? How lucky you are that you've also done a 5 day course with Pashur. WOW.
Only 12 more sleeps till I fly to Sydney, yipeee bounce
Mandi from Tazzie
Mandi from Tazzie

Number of posts : 1826
Registration date : 2010-04-03

http://www.mandifacepaintingsupplies.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by MichelleLA Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:05 am

Mandi from Tazzie wrote:Hiya Kittee,

Sounds great, shame Nick wasn't there. So what colours for your kit did you end up taking? Did they supply the practice head? How lucky you are that you've also done a 5 day course with Pashur. WOW.
Only 12 more sleeps till I fly to Sydney, yipeee bounce

Brian did bring practice heads as well as his kit and some extra whites and blacks.
I ended up taking most primary colors, but as Rebecca predicted, we mainly used Black White, Orange and Red. Lucky I had other colors incl. Brown cause when he wanted to demonstrate "bruises" he realized that he had switched out his brown for another color to take to Bodessy so the class got to break in my Snaz brown.

Yes, indeed I feel very lucky -- thought I did miss a few workshops/events that occurred just closer to Los Angeles just a few months before I became interested in face painting Sad but I'm glad to have found some great workshops within driving distance. It was about 8 hours to get to the Wolfe workshop and a bit over 6 to Las Vegas, but it is nice not to have to pay for airfare.

On another note, the vibe at Pashur's workshop was fantastic -- most everyone else there was a face painter -- many with much more experience and a few newbies like me. I met some fantastic women who were kind enough to share some of their experience and techniques with me.

Now I'm trying to see if I can do one more road trip this month to Living Canvas -- but I'll start a new topic to find out if it is worth the trip...

I can't wait to hear how your workshop goes -- I'd love to hear about how it is to take a class with both Brian and Nick. Hey, if I had more money and didn't have kids I'd be hopping on a plane to Sydney in a heartbeat Very Happy

Michelle

MichelleLA
MichelleLA

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:15 pm

I heard that they WEREN'T at Bodessy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next