Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quick I have a job that I'm not ready for!

+24
rthling
MasterpieceFacePainting
martha
clowngirl
Kristal
TheGildedCat
Annette
ChangingFaceDesigns
Amanda H.
Painted Dragon
Tash
Perry Noia
JBax
Debi's Doodles
ruths fab faces
Psalmbook
koolkatkiwi
squiggle
modernmagik
PatB
EerinArts
SuzySparkles
Magic
Michelle Heffner
28 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Quick I have a job that I'm not ready for! - Page 3 Empty Re: Quick I have a job that I'm not ready for!

Post by Magic Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:55 pm

Hmm - maybe you are right. Should be in a different thread.

I also don't want people to feel self conscious about asking questions -this is one of the friendliest boards I have been on.
Magic
Magic

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2008-10-01

http://www.makingfacesparties.com

Back to top Go down

Quick I have a job that I'm not ready for! - Page 3 Empty Re: Quick I have a job that I'm not ready for!

Post by Amanda H. Sat May 01, 2010 9:32 am

I think in some cases what can happen with "new" painters, is that rather than actually sift through old posts trying to find the answer, they ask lots & lots of questions . Its similar to being the new kid in class, initially people are helpful but after a while their patience wears thin.

Together with an often inflated valuation of their own ability this can other painters to feeling less than impressed by the new member.

I am often astounded at how little thought people give to running a business and its ramifications. I would never just wake up one day and say "I like baking - Let me bake your wedding cake!!!" but it does sometime appear that people take more time deciding on what shoes to wear than how to run their business
Shocked

P.S this is not aimed at ANYBODY, it just appear to be a face painting specific problem, that appears in different guises across at least 3 separate face painting forums Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Amanda H.

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-02-18

http://visage-design.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sat May 01, 2010 5:21 pm

Well said Amanda...
On a different note, I spent a day at a local big event. The best part... I was w/ my family, having fun & NOT face painting. Don't get me wrong, I love face painting, but I saw more "Craft Paint Hooker's" victims & their shoddy set-ups. I felt bad for the one REAL face painting booth that was putting out beautiful work w/ safe paints & glitters. I had to go over & give them a verbal high 5!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Sat May 01, 2010 7:54 pm

Ultimately we all have the choice not to respond to such emails. Or you can suggest that the person display their attempts at whatever design is in question and that you would be more than willing to critique what may be wrong or provide a better example for them.

I think before the new up and comers start getting grabby for other peoples work, they need to post what they've done to show that they have at least made the effort, and then ask for help.

"Study to show thyself approved" Before you drop that dime looking for information you need to put in the time.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Annette Sat May 01, 2010 10:38 pm

I like that idea!

Annette

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-10-04

http://www.facestofollow.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by koolkatkiwi Sun May 02, 2010 12:04 am

ChangingFaceDesigns wrote:
I think before the new up and comers start getting grabby for other peoples work, they need to post what they've done to show that they have at least made the effort, and then ask for help.

"Study to show thyself approved" Before you drop that dime looking for information you need to put in the time.

Exactly. But really, there's no need to be grabby for other peoples' work, because there is a lavish amount of info and pictures all over the internet, covering all aspects of face painting, so no need to bother the experts with private emails asking for all their stuff. They could just go to Google Images, Forum Galleries, YouTube, etc. for a wealth of info.

I think what they are really subconsciously asking is "give me your talent, give me your ability". The first one is born with (though it can be developed to a certain extent) and the second is gotten by pure slogging. Taking that talent and nurturing it, moulding it by practice, practice, practice.

That's where I'm at. Basketball

Kat I love you
koolkatkiwi
koolkatkiwi

Number of posts : 108
Registration date : 2010-01-20

http://www.billkath.co.nz

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:12 am

Rehashing old threads, but this thread seems more relevant than ever!
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:59 am

Yes! Thanks Julie. I'm seeing a lot of repeated threads being created...I know the search function isn't the BEST to use, but don't we also have an FAQ section for a reason?
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by clowngirl Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:35 pm

I'll definitely be wary of asking questions from now on

clowngirl

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-10-26

https://www.facebook.com/Lulu.Clown?ref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:18 pm

clowngirl - no, you don't have to be wary, but many of the answers are already posted! There's a lot of stuff to sift through, I know, but since there is so much to learn on here by reading old threads, I don't think that's a hardship.

Again, the bottom line from this thread, IMO is that if you're putting the work in and being an active member here, and need ideas or whatnot, yes, ask! We are a very sharing forum.

BUT when someone is very new and we don't know them and they start off with "I've always wanted to face paint and got hired for an event but I've never painted before! What paints do you use? What brushes do you use? Where can I get them? What kind of glitter is best? Do you have any step by steps for your favourite 10 faces?" - then I know I get irked. I am happy to share, but I will not spoon feed you.
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:19 pm

@Clown - did you read through the whole post? It's not to warn someone against asking questions at all. I think you misunderstood! It's worth reading back through. =)
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Back to top Go down

Post by clowngirl Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks, Kristal, I appreciate it. I guess I could see that some of the other comments did apply to me, though. I don't mean they were directed at me personally, but I can see that me worrying about having run out of black the other day, for example, could seem very unprepared and unprofessional and in fact I'm the first to admit that it was, haha. I actually feel very silly for asking about it because it became obvious that I could just use dark blue etc instead. Even sillier because I found half a cake of Snaz black last night, haha. I guess it can be easy to take these things a bit personally so thankyou for your reassurance!

clowngirl

Back to top Go down

Post by clowngirl Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:34 pm

Thanks, Gilded Cat, I did read through it all, guess I got a little paranoid, haha. I am still fairly new here Smile

clowngirl

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:39 pm

@Clown - friendly, resourceful newbies are always welcome! Leeches are icky no matter the situation.
I was going to say vampires were icky, but heck, I think vampires are "teh sexay."
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:09 pm

No, vampires are icky. Well, except for Frank Langella... I love you

Back to top Go down

Post by clowngirl Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:51 pm

haha

clowngirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:01 pm

clowngirl wrote:Thanks, Kristal, I appreciate it. I guess I could see that some of the other comments did apply to me, though. I don't mean they were directed at me personally, but I can see that me worrying about having run out of black the other day, for example, could seem very unprepared and unprofessional and in fact I'm the first to admit that it was, haha. I actually feel very silly for asking about it because it became obvious that I could just use dark blue etc instead. Even sillier because I found half a cake of Snaz black last night, haha. I guess it can be easy to take these things a bit personally so thankyou for your reassurance!

With the shortage of black & white we often have... running out can be something even the long running face painters can encounter.... "Oh where oh where has all the Wolfe White gone? Oh where oh where can it beeee?"

For the new painter:

It can be very daunting to read all those posts & all those threads, but it's well worth it. You are in school, Face Painting 101... and best of all it's free & only costs you time. But the time you spend is paid back in not making the same mistakes that many of us have already made.

My recommendation is search a topic & if a question hits your head while reading the thread, write it down. Finish the thread & continue writing you questions. You'll often find your question is answered by the end of the thread. If not, post your question at the end of the thread.

Many of us don't mind answering questions, but what frustrates us is answering the same questions over & over & over again.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:15 am

Clowngirl, these are some of the most creative, loving, and giving people I've ever come across when it comes to helping anyone who is truly inexperienced or just "stuck". You have only to read through some of the older threads to see that. No one however (facepainter or otherwise) would want simply to be USED. That's what it all boils down to. (Shannon, girl you are showing your generation with the Frank Langell comment and I'm showing mine by agreeing!) Very Happy
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by MasterpieceFacePainting Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:13 am

Psalmbook wrote:You are in school, Face Painting 101... and best of all it's free & only costs you time. But the time you spend is paid back in not making the same mistakes that many of us have already made.

And it certainly has cost me time... Haha

I always try to use the search function when I need help, and if I can't find what I need I'll start a new thread... When I read the first part of the thread I was worried it was talking about people like me and when I post pictures of what I've done and ask for help to improve... But I think I've picked up that I'm okay, and you don't all hate me.

Let me get this straight, this is for people who allow themselves to get hired for a gig before getting paints, or using said paints. Right?
MasterpieceFacePainting
MasterpieceFacePainting

Number of posts : 509
Registration date : 2011-11-11

http://www.masterpiecefacepainting.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Basically, BekahCat. What I got out of the thread is that folks get tired of having their creative life force sucked by some leech. All of us get asked to do things or branch out into things we haven't done before. No one has a problem with giving advice in that instance. Just sometimes people don't want to make any sort of effort on their own, have advertised or sold services they aren't capable of, and want skills handed to them gift wrapped. Think that's the pea under the mattress, the burr under the saddle, the thing that chaps my (well you know). lol!
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:14 pm

Funny, I have spent hours and hours and hours and H O U R S scouring this forum since I started, simply because I didn't want to come off as too much "gimme what you got". I have asked questions, started threads and posted many times, whenever I have anything to add. I love the atmosphere of sharing here, but I totally get the frustration of being asked for a handout. People like to feel generous, but don't like to be expected to be.
I had an art teacher email me after seeing me at a large festival. She wanted information about paints and products, as well as designs. Great thing was, she knew she was potentially stepping on my professional toes, so she was very careful to tell me that she was in a town over an hour away, and that she understood if I still didn't want to share my "secrets".
That attitude alone made me feel generous.
Still, it took me until the second or third page of this thread to see the spirit in which it was posted. It made me feel small, having asked advice at all.
I hope other new members, who read this thread actually read far enough into it to find what it is really getting at, so they know it's okay to ask questions.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:37 pm

On a positive note, I see people who at one time were newbies(like I once was) that are now contributing to the forum. New blood is a good thing as each new person can ad something unique to their experiences.

And Bekah, you have it exactly. I get regular emails from people that 1st flatter me & then want me in 1 email to teach them 7 years of experience. I usually send them to the face paint forum, but find that many found me there & were to lazy to read. Replies like, "Oh, I'm on the forum, but it's too hard to read all that stuff."
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:48 pm

Psalmbook wrote:I usually send them to the face paint forum, but find that many found me there & were to lazy to read. Replies like, "Oh, I'm on the forum, but it's too hard to read all that stuff."

That's what triggered my rehashing this thread. I just got one of those emails this week. "Wah, I don't have money for conferences and it's too hard to figure out what to read on the forum."
Seriously!?!? Dude, it's not like I'm pouring buckets of money or have oodles of extra time. All businesses require start-up costs and time. I hate that people perceive face painting as something you can pick up overnight with minimal costs. It's true that there are far fewer costs than many brick-and-mortar businesses, but expecting someone else shove info down your throat for free is insane. I personally think this forum is great, but it dramatically lowers the barrier of entry to this field.

On a positive note, I also got message from someone who *is* attending her first conference in Las Vegas and is reading the forum "cover to cover" and is going to be an awesome addition to this field. I can't wait to see what she churns out. Espi, I'm looking at you! Wink
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Pickin Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:38 pm

Simply put:

-Is it okay to ask questions?-yes!

-Is it okay to ask questions without doing any research?-sometimes(if you don't know where to look.)

-Is it okay to ask questions because you promised something that can not deliver and you're just banking on us nice experienced painters to bail you out instantly with no attempt at research or practice on your part? -NO!
Ashley Pickin
Ashley Pickin

Number of posts : 838
Registration date : 2009-06-27

http://www.picnpaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by clowngirl Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:55 am

This all makes sense, and yes, you are all a very helpful bunch of people! I can see where the frustration is coming from. I'd say I've read just about every post here, haha, though I seemed to have missed this one 'til the other day. Such a wealth of knowledge. So thanks to everyone for that. I'd contribute more if I felt I had much to offer you all, you're all so good at what you do. I feel wary of posting some things including pictures as it feels weird to share with all the lurkers who've never said a word though admittedly I was one at first.

clowngirl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next