Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mixing 2 different colored water base paints

3 posters

Go down

Mixing 2 different colored water base paints Empty Mixing 2 different colored water base paints

Post by Viggityvone Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:44 pm

Very new to water and creme based face/body paint! How does one go about mixing 2 different water based colors (olive and black (Mehron brand)) the RIGHT way? I've tried searching on google and youtube but have failed to come up with an answer. I don't want to use all of both either, just some.
Thanks!!

Viggityvone

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-10-14

Back to top Go down

Mixing 2 different colored water base paints Empty Re: Mixing 2 different colored water base paints

Post by fesspenter Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:48 am

There are two different types of water-based face paints;
Glycerin Based: Kryolan, Snaz, SuperStar, FAB, Mehron's Paradise, etc.
Wax-Based: TAG, Kryvaline, DF/X, Wolfe, etc.

Wax-Based face paint is better for line work. Yes, you can blend it. It dries really fast, and I have to work back and forth with two damp, loaded sponges to pat them together on the skin.

Glycerin-Based face paint is fabulous for base work. It blends beautifully. It is harder to use for solid line work, although, it can be done.

Play with two sponges, each loaded with your colours, and pat down three swatches of one colour, and then pat down the second colour abutting the first colour, then, half an inch away, then, an inch away. Work your sponges back and forth, to see the different effects. Pat or tap the sponge. Do not wipe.

Different artists will have different advice, and so listen to all, and try every method. Find out what works best for you. The amount of water, and the humidity will affect you paint.

Happy Painting!
xoxox
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Mixing 2 different colored water base paints Empty Re: Mixing 2 different colored water base paints

Post by Viggityvone Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:22 pm

fesspenter wrote:There are two different types of water-based face paints;
Glycerin Based: Kryolan, Snaz, SuperStar, FAB, Mehron's Paradise, etc.
Wax-Based: TAG, Kryvaline, DF/X, Wolfe, etc.

Wax-Based face paint is better for line work.  Yes, you can blend it. It dries really fast, and I have to work back and forth with two damp, loaded sponges to pat them together on the skin.

Glycerin-Based face paint is fabulous for base work.  It blends beautifully.  It is harder to use for solid line work, although, it can be done.

Play with two sponges, each loaded with your colours, and pat down three swatches of one colour, and then pat down the second colour abutting the first colour, then, half an inch away, then, an inch away.  Work your sponges back and forth, to see the different effects.  Pat  or tap the sponge.  Do not wipe.

Different artists will have different advice, and so listen to all, and try every method.  Find out what works best for you.  The amount of water, and the humidity will affect you paint.

Happy Painting!
xoxox

I plan on applying this to my whole body. Is there a faster application method? Essentially i just want to create a darker green color prior to applying it to my whole body so i don't have to go back and forth between the two colors. Or is this not possible with water activated paint like Mehron Paradise? Thank you for your response and advice!

Viggityvone

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:24 pm

Kabuki brushes are fabulous to evenly apply a good solid base.
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:12 am

You can also take some of each and smush them together in another container (somewhat like mixing 2 colors of playdough). I use a small metal spatula for manipulating paints and depending on the brand you may want to add a little water.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down