Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Orange - in search of a better/brighter orange -- topic 2 (mixing paints)

+5
mamakatrien
martha
IamGinaW
fesspenter
kat
9 posters

Go down

Orange - in search of a better/brighter orange -- topic 2 (mixing paints) Empty Orange - in search of a better/brighter orange -- topic 2 (mixing paints)

Post by kat Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:03 am

I am looking for a bright orange.
(other than the neon orange)

I tend to use TAG products - mostly... but, find the orange a bit dull.
I've also tried DFX (ahem), Snaz, and Paradise.

Upon reviewing my stock of paints, I've found that orange is the color that I have the least of ... laughing... I have more blacks than orange!

I am currently using TAG matte orange, and the pearl... that's it!
It seems there are 6 to 10 shades of every other color (excluding yellow - I have 3), but not orange!

Any recommendations?

Do you mix paints to get a specific color?

If so, do you use these when painting at public events? (PPF, parties, events)
Or, do you only use them for "one on" occasions. (when painting privately, or - for one event/situation)

My search for brighter orange led me to to mixing my neon with the matte color to achieve something "brighter".

Of course, I've always (since the beginning) used my scraps/leftovers in other cakes.
I have several containers where there are several colors... I've used them with daubers/sponges for fun effects.. just recently (on FB) have I found that other people do this and it's called sushi.. or something like that.. LOL

This led me to wondering about insurance. Would that be covered?
If someone were to have a reaction, how would you ever track what caused it?

What about putting the scraps/leftovers of a same color/brand into a new container to consolidate ? Is that covered?

I don't want to ask my insurance agent as I don't want to send up any "red flags"..
kat
kat

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://www.katsfacesandmore.com

Back to top Go down

Orange - in search of a better/brighter orange -- topic 2 (mixing paints) Empty Re: Orange - in search of a better/brighter orange -- topic 2 (mixing paints)

Post by fesspenter Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Dear kat:
I do the same thing you do...
I mix my Wolfe Orange with my TAG Neon Orange.
The Neon is too thin and wishy washy.
The Wolfe Orange is too dull.
Between the two colors, I get both the even coverage and the "POP" I am lookig for. My avatar is my daughter Darcy, where I used both colors together.
All of my face paint is FDA compliant.
I am allergic to some face paints. (Less and less so, as more colors are created for people like me. I have never had anyone break out from any of my face paint. I am tracked pretty closely at SickKids. I have had some staining with the Green colors).
If someone had a reaction to the original color, you would know it. If you are creating sushi cakes or split cakes with the leftover bits that nobody had a reaction to.... it would follow that nobody with have a reaction with something just because it was in a smaller quantity.
Happy Painting
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Orange - in search of a better/brighter orange -- topic 2 (mixing paints) Empty Re: Orange - in search of a better/brighter orange -- topic 2 (mixing paints)

Post by IamGinaW Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:36 pm

I learned from the Wolfe brothers that they mix a neon with a regular to get good opaque coverage with the regular color and brightness from the neon. It has been working great with my TAG orange and TAG neon orange! I'll try to get you a picture.
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:55 pm

Ok, I uses to have 1/2 and 1/2 but I was running low and had extra regular orange so I filled it with more of that.

Here's a picture of the cake:
Orange - in search of a better/brighter orange -- topic 2 (mixing paints) Dbff2b0c

Here are swatches. Top to bottom is regular only, mixed, and neon only:
Orange - in search of a better/brighter orange -- topic 2 (mixing paints) A9fb08cb
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:48 pm

Just out of curiosity Gina, does the mix of regular/neon show up well under black light?
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:13 pm

It shows a bit but not as well as plain neon.
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:51 pm

although snaz cannot compete on all colour levels, its sparkle orange is absolutely wonderful! good coverage, and a fantastic glow to it, more like a metallic shine than a sparkle I would say.
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Marisol Santana Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:35 am

Have you tried the Kryolan Orange? Its amazing with great coverage! Pashur recommended it to me and I have never been happier.
Marisol Santana
Marisol Santana

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2011-05-31

http://zeebree.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gretchen Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:23 pm

I have always mixed my own secondary colors using the primary colors in Kryolan. I just like having the control to get the exact colors I want by mixing them. I don't think you have anything to worry about insurance-wise with mixing brands. As long as you are using safe, FDA approved cosmetic paints, it makes no difference if they are mixed together or used alone. Never tried mixing a regular with a neon...that's a good idea!
Gretchen
Gretchen

Number of posts : 451
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by dmeagher Tue May 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Are you the Gretchen from Paintertainment? Pashur turned me on to Kryolan and you found me the metallic blue that I couldn't find anywhere else. You special ordered it for me and I got two! Thanks so much... Debbie
dmeagher
dmeagher

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Tue May 07, 2013 7:56 pm

LOVE Tag orange pearl. Also do like the Snaz orange as a tiger base.

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down