Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

reaction to paints

+19
Caswell Designs FP
TinafromNY
Coral3
cattsy
helena
pjhamel
JBM
Noella
barbb919
Kate318
tricia
facesbybelle
Tilly - Formerly Punky
Bryony
Wildcatfin
Michelle Heffner
Megan in slc
Monster Princess Art
Perry Noia
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

reaction to paints - Page 2 Empty Re: reaction to paints

Post by faerypaint Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:02 am

Waiting to hear from the mom of a little boy we painted as a ninja turtle last Saturday. The party host called this morning to tell us that the child had swollen eyes, drawing the conclusion that it must have been the paint. We are trying to learn which child it was- we painted about five 'turtles', and only one had his mask painted with a Silly Farm 'bling' split cake. All of the others were painted with Snazaroo colors. Now, from what I have read, Silly Farm combines Mehron, Wolfe, and Snazaroo in their split cakes. This is the first time we have ever had this happen- then again, we bought the bling cake on Thursday, so it is the first time we have used it. I have yet to know for sure if it was the same child. More questions than answers. Hopefully all will be explained before the day is over. From what I was told, she gave him Benadryl and it helped with the swelling. The suggestions I have read here have been very helpful- we are still relatively new to this.
faerypaint
faerypaint

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:46 pm

mehron paradise paints have a bunch of botanical extracts in them from plants, including aloe, chamomile, lemongrass, comfrey, cucumber, avocado oil, and cocoa butter.

ironically, natural ingredients are the ones that usually cause allergic reactions, your immune system reacts to proteins or other compounds in the plant (or animal).

eg. peanuts, wheat, latex (rubber), shellfish, etc. for instance, according to some websites, people who are allergic to nuts can be allergic to cocoa butter, or just to cocoa/cocoa butter/chocolate itself.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by FacepaintingByTanya Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:25 am

I always do a white underbase on primarily red designs, because I'd read when starting out that red can be reactant on some people. Takes a little longer, but worth it to keep reaction risk to a minimum. I also use latex-free black sponges (I generally use brushes but sometimes I have to sponge) and never use baby wipes or any kind of wipes (had a reaction on my own hands, that ended that) - just use clean paper towels with spritz of filtered water. I am sensitive to soaps and lotions myself, and have experienced minor issues with some paints on my lips, otherwise I've been pretty lucky, and have had one reaction since starting (mom is a friend and knew her daughter had sensitive skin, but wanted to go ahead and do a facepaint to see if she would react, as her past allergies had been minor - she did, mildly). So may allergens for folks out there, I just try to keep it clean and simple.
FacepaintingByTanya
FacepaintingByTanya

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2013-04-17

http://www.facepaintingbytanya.com

Back to top Go down

Post by faerypaint Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 am

Well, the mom and I had a good talk yesterday and she mostly wanted to know about the ingredients contained in the paint I used to paint his ninja mask, which I was able to find and email to her. She was gracious enough to go to our Facebook page and write a really nice review of our work.  Smile My daughter and I have only been painting since February and are still tweaking things. I am learning a lot.
faerypaint
faerypaint

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2014-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:10 pm

Interesting....
Worth noting....once these makeup brands are combined the manufacturer will not accept any responsibility. So that makes Silly Farm the deep pocket.

In all it would take quite a detective to track down the allergen. Could be face paint...could be a food, a perfum from a guest, the soap the host used to clean her carpet....

Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2