Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine

+9
bellia_michlexis
anniel
pattyofurniture
Captain-Savvy
thouartbeautiful
Facepainting by Tina
LittleMonsters
Ash_A
Forest-Fairy
13 posters

Go down

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Empty Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine

Post by Forest-Fairy Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:27 pm

So I took out all my kit face paints and those in stock and laid them out.

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine 10464346_10204731583703279_1145499916175061548_n
Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine 11148601_10204731583383271_6598837865724908993_n
Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine 11139430_10204731583063263_2127481827853825802_n

I was getting sick of what rainbow cakes i had. I found I didn't use some very often (if ever), and others I was getting really bored of. Also the old silly farm cakes were getting way too worn down in the middle, they hold on to moisture longer (making the paints gooy over time) and... well the shape just isn't as ideal as the 50gm containers (but i loathe the new silly farm containers). Also I the round containers are very bulky and take up a lot of room in my kit and on my table.

But mainly I'm just bored of my old rainbow cakes.

So time to get crafty! I cleaned out some 50gm containers by moving the paint to round containers and began with my game of musical paints.

Here is what I got so far.
Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine 10354935_10204745558692645_2007069180741688813_n
Left Row: Homemade combinations. 
Middle Left Row : Modified from existing store bought combinations.
Middle Right Row: Transferred from round silly farm containers.
Right Row: Store Bought Combinations.
Bottom Middle Group: Old cakes. Fate to be determined.

Then there are these
Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine 1908002_10204745559852674_3937281133615623310_n
Special colors I keep on the table, not for cutting up. ^

And finally
Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine 10314692_10204745561732721_1240712279454644832_n
This is what's left. (not including my extra black and white 90gm's)

Soooooo. I'm making one more rainbow cake, of a red to yellow combination, then that fills the empty sides of my 2 laptop cases when open. Very Happy 

Unfortunately I don't have many empty one stroke cakes (gonna order some), I have a few idea's of some I want to make but not as many idea's as with the base blenders.

Right now I'm working on taking swatch photos of all these so all of you can see what they look like sponged on. I'm also happy to share what colors and brands I used to make each cake if you like.

Buuuuuut - quid pro quo. I show you mine you show me yours. I'm ALWAYS looking for neat new rainbow cake/base blender, and one stroke combinations to play with. For the most part I'm interested in combinations that are more then 3 colors, but open to anything of course. ^.^
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Empty Re: Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine

Post by Ash_A Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:10 pm

Whoa, buddy! That's a lotta paint. *drool*
Ash_A
Ash_A

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2015-01-23

http://www.chubbycheeksfaba.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Empty Re: Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine

Post by Forest-Fairy Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:17 pm

This isn't even counting my star blends, glitter pallet, liquid glitters, or the kit my assistant painter has at her house lol.

I have two regular 12 color kits in the house for Aryn and myself, and we split most everything else like one strokes and rainbow cakes. We have a few doubles like neon and plain rainbow base blenders and ones strokes. and or course rose, leaf, blue, purple one stokes, but we also have our favorites. My kit is usually bigger because I do most of the solo gigs. When we are together we share all the one stroke and split cakes, and if we have to be at two different gigs I lend him more rainbow cakes lol. Generally he doesn't use them as much as me. I'm clearly addicted. Razz
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Wow you have a lot of paint, lol!

Nothing spectacular here... this is what I ordered last from the forum shop:

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine CsE0U4F

And turned it into this (minus the one-stroke rainbow):

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine VZl8fbO

Also was left with ~3 full 50g cakes worth of different colors.

This was my first time cutting into cakes but I think I did pretty good.  Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be and would have been easier if I didn't do it in the ridiculous heat of the summer!  After doing a number of the cakes I ended up using the refrigerator because I had to mix the pink I used in the Havana Sunset rainbow cake because I ran out of pink... never knew this stuff was soooooo sticky!
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Facepainting by Tina Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:45 pm

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Paints10

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Paints11
Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Paints12

The first pic is the paints I started with, bought a bunch of 50 gram 2 color splits and cut them all up. The 2nd and 3rd pics are what I was left with. I have since added about 5 more one strokes a couple solid colors (like pearl black, berry wine, pearl white) and about 3 more big rainbows and maybe 5 more one strokes. I also just got my first starblend (white) to try out
Facepainting by Tina
Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Nice little monsters!
Can I make a swatch request?
Would love to see what the Yellow/Green/Blue/pink one stroke looks like.
I tried the Pink/Blue/Green by just triple loading my sponge. LOVE it. Though I'm trying not to make anything 3 colors or less, because i can just triple load my sponge on the fly. But defiantly is one to keep in mind, that I'll use!

Wow Tina those are some pretty one strokes!

Base Blenders:
Top Row - 4th one in (the one with 8 colors)
2nd Row - 1st one, 3rd one, and 4th one in
3rd Row - 2nd one, 3rd one, and 4th one in

One Strokes:
Top Row - 2nd one in
4th Row - 3rd one and 7th one in
5th Row - 2nd on, and 4th on in

I know that's a lot of requests! lol But you much such interesting combinations!

I'll of course show anyone swatches of any of mine if asked. 

In the mean time, here's a design I did on my niece last night using the rainbow cake from the 1st row on the left 3rd one down, on my homemade cakes pic. ^.^

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine 16793_935920386459242_7657738455618694467_n
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by thouartbeautiful Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:26 am

I love everyone's cakes!! Beautiful combinations, and that is a stunning model and a elegant design FF Smile
thouartbeautiful
thouartbeautiful

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2013-09-21

http://www.thouartbeautiful.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:58 am

thank you ^.^
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain-Savvy Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:56 am

That's gorgeous, Forest Fairy!

So many awesome combinations in y'all's collections... I may be turning green with envy. xD I have one rainbow cake at the moment and it isn't homemade. My budget is too small to buy a bunch, and I'm afraid that if I try to make my own it will just be a major fail. One day I'll get there Laughing
Captain-Savvy
Captain-Savvy

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://captain-savvy.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by pattyofurniture Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:41 am

Whoa!  Fun paint kit Forest Fairy!  

This has been my project the last few months.  Went from all circle rainbows and chopped to squares, but realized I didn't like some of the color combos:
Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine A06fe412-9b60-45c0-947f-915087a21c82_zps5ldbrone

Chopped again and this is what I've been working with now:
Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine 3a983aca-befe-4525-8091-cd7fcdaa21da_zps1ryh7ktv

Here's the home rainbows, but some are still color copied anyway.  I think I've decided I don't really like white on the edge.
Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Bd5d4d15-e208-4bdd-b0c1-bfd29fa58c48_zpsiovxusan
pattyofurniture
pattyofurniture

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:25 pm

I love your set ups....now I am seriously rethinking, but what hold me back is learning not to take the excess paint off on the edge after loading, cause I can see me losing a lot of it on cleanups of adjacent cakes. I presently hold my one strokes to load, but can't fathom fumbling thru a tight setup on velcro to grab one.
Please enlighten me...
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bellia_michlexis Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Total paint envy happening over here hehe. Need to get on this asap.

bellia_michlexis

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by DebbieB Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:14 pm

I am loving all of these colors, LOVING I SAY!!!!! I am insanely jealous of your kits. I will post a picture of mine, but it will probably run away crying because it is so inferior. I have a ton of Starblends, DIPS and a few other items, but I am just too lazy to drag it all out for a picture.

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine 20150210
DebbieB
DebbieB

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2013-09-09

http://www.debsdreamydesigns.wix.com/debs

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:01 pm

oh what's on my coffee table isn't my set up lol. No way i bring that much paint to a gig Razz. That's mostly stuff I have in storage. When i see a good deal or discount, or a cheap swap shop post, i try to jump on it. So i get a lot of paint tucked away for refills, and to make rainbow cakes out of ^.^

Hey Patty, could I see a swatch of the Drk Blue/light blue/white/green and the neon pink/purple/blue/green ?
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by melissah1982 Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:56 pm

Wow! One can only dream of a collection like that. I don't have many rainbows...I have the one moonlight and a neon rainbow one stroke, that's it....plus 3 little Paradise splits I was playing with. Nothing to post here that would be worthy, lol Maybe one day. Until then, I will just keep reading this and salivating. Shocked
melissah1982
melissah1982

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2014-10-11

http://www.melissasfaceart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by pattyofurniture Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:59 am

I believe the first cake is all tag, and second is all dfx

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine E4fb1085-b1bf-4590-9770-9bdff6d89922_zps4cdumwch
pattyofurniture
pattyofurniture

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:21 am

Ooooooooo. In love with the one on the right!
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by melissah1982 Sat May 02, 2015 4:11 pm

ok, so after getting a bunch of solids from Metina, I was finally able to sit down and make some splits. Nowhere near as awesome as everyone's here but I am really happy.  I shouldn't have to buy anymore paints for a while, unless it's a treat for something really special.  I am sure you all know how hard it is to keep your money in your account after viewing the shop, lol  

First, here is my 'before'.  I also have dfx light green, dark green, and purple.  I need a second case

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine <a href=Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Img_0920" />

I do have a Wolf Metalix gold and a few repotted paints (a little but) from my original Wolfe starter pallet.  But they are in a case out of frame.  I mostly use those little pots for practice now.

ok, here is the 'after' I have a half light green/green too it just didn't fit in the case  Very Happy

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine <a href=Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Img_0919" />

And here are the swatches!  All the paints are DFX essentials.  Don't mind my lines.  It was more for a show of effect with the paint and I was in a rush to get work so I wasn't trying to be perfect.

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine <a href=Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Img_0921" />

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine <a href=Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Img_0922" />

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Img_0923

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine <a href=Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Img_0925" />

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine <a href=Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Img_0926" />

Ok, so this next guy was really exciting for me.  I look and look and look at all the splits and once strokes and the one I wanted the most was a 4th of July one.  It looks so cool and I want to make 4th of july crowns!  So I bought the Essential blue but they didn't have it.  And instead of going outside DFX, I got a Sea Green instead. I figured, I will just wait to get the july 4th color later...but then I thought...just buy the ONE split!  But I really couldn't justify it.  I have to jobs yet that would need it and I should just be patient.  So I am making these splits and I thought...well...just use the light blue; it will still be a cool effect.   Then I saw it...I my re potted wolfe blue!  It was the right color.  But would it be the right amount!?  Yes it was...so Here is my 4th of july one stroke!  So glad I didn't have to buy it.  It was everything I hoped it would be lol

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine <a href=Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Img_0924" />

I didn't do swatches of the 2 colors...I was just doing them to make room in my kit.  But I did practice with them last night. I really enjoy doing shamrock stuff with the greens.

I think I have all the basic colors needed.  Anything else would really just be wish list stuff.  I really want a silver and a brown and almost bought them.  But I said 'no' wait until you get some jobs and you needed them.  I did a 3 hour job with less that what I have in that kit and had no need for silver and brown.  I will get them later but right now, I am really happy with my paints.

Ok, end novel.
melissah1982
melissah1982

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Sat May 02, 2015 4:35 pm

nice job! i, too, like the 4th of july colored split.

whispering convincingly in your ear.."get the silver..you can do robots and knight helmets and fancy sharks, oh my. and dazzling edges and dots on butterfly wings."

"get the brown..you can do puppies and horses and teddy bears".

actually, you can mix various amounts of black and orange to get different shades of brown, sometimes you can use blue or green with orange.

black and red makes good reddish purple, if the red is a cool red. blue and red more of a classic purple.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by melissah1982 Sat May 02, 2015 5:11 pm

haha. I know. After seeing Ashlea Hensen's robot I ran to the shop to get silver. That's when I stopped myself, lol I made two purchases last week! I almost made a third, investing in the $30 DFX metalics kit. I am trying to stay realistic. But I want it all! maybe I will wait until next week and get the silver and brown...and a metalic purple...and blue....and green..... You're evil. Twisted Evil
melissah1982
melissah1982

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Sat May 02, 2015 5:33 pm

lol, so many face paints, so little money Sad
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Krissiemarie Sun May 03, 2015 8:47 pm

and i thought i was a paint hoarder
Krissiemarie
Krissiemarie

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2011-07-21

https://www.facebook.com/facepaintingbykristina

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Sun May 24, 2015 11:47 pm

Forest-Fairy wrote:Nice little monsters!
Would love to see what the Yellow/Green/Blue/pink one stroke looks like.

A little late to get back to you... but I finally used this one-stroke today, lol... ran out of faces so I started painting arms at birthday party today.  Here's a 3-4 minute one I did with that shimmery one-stroke.

Homemade Rainbow Cakes - You show me yours I show you mine Img_4710
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down