Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

creating cakes..rainbow cakes and more..

4 posters

Go down

creating cakes..rainbow cakes and more.. Empty creating cakes..rainbow cakes and more..

Post by twobeesdesigns Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Okay, so this may seem like a really stupid question (in my mind it seems that way anyhow)...

I've only just started using a rainbow cake - which is like a rectangular case, so it works well with my sponges...but for the bigger cakes, how does one:

1) make your own??

2) use them??

3) what are some cute color combos and suggested designs to use with them??

Oh I feel like a complete doozie asking this...sheesh!Embarassed 
twobeesdesigns
twobeesdesigns

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-08-24

Back to top Go down

creating cakes..rainbow cakes and more.. Empty Re: creating cakes..rainbow cakes and more..

Post by Kris5115 Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:25 pm

First of all, sometimes newbies are not clear on the differences between rainbow cakes and one-stroke or ABC cakes. Rainbow cakes can be round or rectangular and are generally applied with a sponge. One-strokes are rectangular and much skinnier than rainbow cakes and are usually applied with a brush.

Here is a link to a bunch of pretty rainbow cakes:
http://www.facepaintforumshop.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1847

Here is a link to a bunch of pretty 1-stroke cakes:
http://www.facepaintforumshop.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1848

If you want to make your own, consider making a Carnival cake - a great place to start and makes a lovely rainbow that can be used for many designs.

Here is the carnival cake:
http://www.facepaintforumshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=453

Buy one 50 gram cake of each of the 3 colors, cut them in thirds, carefully remove the colors and re-arrange until you have 3 carnival cakes. Note that you would not have to arrange each cake with the colors in the same order.

When applied, the magenta and yellow blend beautifully and the yellow and blue blend beautifully making a brilliant and beautiful rainbow. Great for so many designs.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

creating cakes..rainbow cakes and more.. Empty Re: creating cakes..rainbow cakes and more..

Post by nikkili26 Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:14 pm

good post, kris...i still haven't got a 1 stroke!

here's what i'm wondering: how thick are the 1 strokes?

are they just as thick as a rainbow cake?
i see people putting homemade 1-strokes into pill cases, and those are at least an inch thick-how much paint does it take to fill one to the top?or is that not what you do when making your own
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:24 pm

My one-strokes are about as thick as my rainbow cakes, which are the same thickness as a single color cake. I don't see why you couldn't make them thicker - they would last longer that way.

I prefer the ones that are longer and less square shaped so there is more paint for swiping my brush. Like the shape of the TAG 1-stroke versus the ABC. I feel like I don't wear down the middle as fast when they are longer.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Back to top Go down

Post by JennyNixe Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:15 am

Nikki, you don't want to fill one-strokes and rainbows to the very top. You need at least a little lip or you'll brush/sponge paint all over your hand. When I make my own, I make them the thickness of the original paint cake or I roll them into ropes of uniform size and then press into the container.
JennyNixe
JennyNixe

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2012-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by twobeesdesigns Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:38 pm

My problem with the one-strokers (oh that sounds naughty..and my mind automatically goes there..lol)...

anyways..when i use my brush, they always seem to get too much water in the container and the colors all blend together..however, when i use a sponge, i don't have that problem...WHAT am I DOING WRONG (sorry all caps)???

There's such cute designs that i wanna use my brushes with, but have this problem almost all the time. Sad

I just got a new *princess* colored fazmataz one-stroke cake, and i'm anxious to try it out - but when i opened up the package (they sent it out in just an envelope), it was all broken. I'm pretty upset..and they can't send me another one, without me paying shipping again. Sorry..rambling.

I have tons of empty square cases, that would be perfect for making homemade cakes...but i'm just nervous about making one i guess.
twobeesdesigns
twobeesdesigns

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:49 pm

If your one-stroke is broken, you can probably just piece it back together and as it is used, it should smoosh back into one.

If your colors are merging too much, your brush is probably too wet. It takes some practice to get the brush just right. Too dry and the bristles don't stay together. Too wet and everything blurs and bleeds together.

Don't loose heart! Just keep practicing.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Back to top Go down

Post by nikkili26 Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:10 pm

i finally got some one strokes!

what i do is before i work the paint onto the brush, i tap it on my damp washcloth.sucks up any extra moisture.

you gotta remember, even if the brush isn't dripping wet, it's still saturated with water....so the second you put any pressure on it, you will squeeze out all that excess water into your paint cake.

i always keep a damp washcloth in my kit before a gig because it keeps my fingers clean from all the sponges.
nikkili26
nikkili26

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2013-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down