Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating a Kit .... Without breaking the bank

+3
jlirie
Forest-Fairy
bellia_michlexis
7 posters

Go down

Creating a Kit .... Without breaking the bank Empty Creating a Kit .... Without breaking the bank

Post by bellia_michlexis Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:10 pm

Hello All,

I am greatly interested in getting into face painting. I have a few cakes and some small kits that I'm practicing with right now.

My question is... How do you create a kit without feeling like you broke the bank. Just the few colors and palettes I have cost me a few hundreds. I seriously think I heard my credit card weep No .

Is there a better place to buy these paints a little cheaper?

Is there a brand that's more budget friendly that still retains quality. (please don't say snazaroo, its terrible in the heat.. and.. just no Evil or Very Mad )

Are there coupons out there that I'm not seeing?

Any suggestions and tips are welcome. Thank you all in advance!

- Bellia

bellia_michlexis

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-04-10

Back to top Go down

Creating a Kit .... Without breaking the bank Empty Re: Creating a Kit .... Without breaking the bank

Post by Forest-Fairy Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Start with the bare basics.
Face Painting Kit Essentials

Don't go crazy with rainbow cakes and one strokes. Get a basic kit together, practice with it, do a few gigs with it so it will pay for itself. THEN start adding to it.

Don't buy sampler kits if you are first starting out and are on a budget, they are a waste if you already don't know what you are wanting in a brand of paint. Research a band you like and commit to a full 12 color pallet. 

I'm a fan of Tag myself and wax based paints. TAG is a bit more cost effective then Wolf or DFX but the paint is more or less the same.

Tag has an excellent starter kit too for around $200
Creating a Kit .... Without breaking the bank New_Starter_kit__84477_zoom
You get LOTS with this kit, it's a real deal.

Paints:
12 x 32g.  Colours: L/Green, Green, L/Blue, M/Blue, Orange, Yellow, Purple, Lilac, Teal, Pink, Brown and Red.
In a Professional Palette case
1 x 90g White
1 x 90g Black

Brushes:
3 x Round Brushes  #2, #4, #6
1 x Filbert #10 Brush
1 x Angle #4
1 x Flat #12 (Ideal for 1 strokes)

Glitter:
1 x 60ml Holographic White Glitter

Rainbow Cake:
1 x 1 Stroke Rainbow Four Cake

Brush Wallet:
1 x Empty Brush Wallet

Sponges:
12 x 1/2 Sponges (6 Pink, 6 Blue)

1 x Atomiser 

1 x 4 pack Dauber

Grab some hand sani, 99% iso, water container, and a mirror with this kit and you are off the the races. The kit will pay for itself in no time, and you can start adding to it slowly. 

That's my recommendation.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Creating a Kit .... Without breaking the bank Empty Re: Creating a Kit .... Without breaking the bank

Post by jlirie Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:53 pm

"Just the few colors and palettes I have cost me a few hundreds."

a few hundred dollars should get you more than a "few colors and palettes"!

what exactly do you have?

if you want to go cheaper, you should consider palmer..Shocked
wahahahahahaha!! affraid  
just kidding, couldn't resist Razz What a Face
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:38 am

jlirie wrote:"Just the few colors and palettes I have cost me a few hundreds."

a few hundred dollars should get you more than a "few colors and palettes"!

I was thinking the same thing!  Unless you mean palettes of 32g cakes...

I bought the following for $323.25 US with shipping and insurance (there's also 2 packs of stencils you might not be able to see without viewing the whole picture)

Creating a Kit .... Without breaking the bank CsE0U4F

I used the paints above to make these (please note this includes a rainbow one-stroke I already owned and does not include left over paints - close to two 50g cakes):

Creating a Kit .... Without breaking the bank VZl8fbO

So for ~300 you could have quite a bit of stuff - of course the above doesn't include everything you need... I already had a bunch of other items like more brushes, a 12 color DFX start palette, etc...
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by bellia_michlexis Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:08 pm

No unfortunately I bought everything individually at a local costume place and they took me to the cleaners. Idiot move, I know. *SIGH* with the very little I have i paid out over 200 on the just the paint. I'll send a photo when I get the chance.

So, where did you guys order your paints and starter kits?

bellia_michlexis

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2015-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:01 pm

Check out the Face Paint Forum Shop! Just click the Face Paint Forum Shop rectangle above. There are a lot of great products for reasonable prices and fast shipping.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:06 pm

Where are you from bellia_michlexis?
If you go into your Profile, above and type in your general location, you will be able to connect with your local face painters and be invited to Jams.
This Forum is filled with painters from all over the world. You can find the best help from your local face painters.
The facepaintforumshop.com (the colourful rectangle at the top of this column) has competitive pricing and the shipping is FAST. The facepaintforumshop pays for this Forum.
I am American, and I live in Canada. I have my supplies shipped to my aunt's home in Detroit, and bring them back across the border when returning from a visit. I declare them at the border.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:19 pm

yeah, you want to order online from regular face paint vendors, like the face paint forum shop. if metina doesn't stock something you want, you can ask her if it can be ordered.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Kal Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:17 am

bellia_michlexis wrote:No unfortunately I bought everything individually at a local costume place and they took me to the cleaners. Idiot move, I know. *SIGH* with the very little I have i paid out over 200 on the just the paint. I'll send a photo when I get the chance.

So, where did you guys order your paints and starter kits?

God bless you for being a supporter of small business Wink

Yes you overpaid but what you got will last a lot longer than you think. In the end good quality face paint ends up being very cheap.
Kal
Kal

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2014-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down