Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TAG Black colour paint - What the flying spag monster??

+3
Psalmbook
fesspenter
bubbleblossom
7 posters

Go down

TAG Black colour paint - What the flying spag monster?? Empty TAG Black colour paint - What the flying spag monster??

Post by bubbleblossom Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:32 am

Okay so... I had an event and was there for 3 hours. It was quite a hot day and for those 3 hours my paints were in the sun. I didn't think anything of it because Im kind of new to face painting...

what happened? Welll alot of the colours dried out more crumbly then usual but still are just fine to use. Only a problem when making my own split cakes lol.

BUT... my Black TAG paint wen't DESGUSTING.... i mean...eew what the flying football is wrong with it kind of yuck. It's gloopy and sloppy... clumps onto my brushes and just sucks completely. It has been rendered useless. I have it as a back up... but I dont know why since its in such a bad way I keep thinking I should just throw it out.

Is there any way to redeem it? has this happened to yours before? Would it have been from being in the sun that long? If so...why did it only effect my TAG black?!

On a brighter note, I replaced it with wolfe black and like that much more anyway :-)
bubbleblossom
bubbleblossom

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2014-11-14

http://www.unrealkidsparties.com.au

Back to top Go down

TAG Black colour paint - What the flying spag monster?? Empty Re: TAG Black colour paint - What the flying spag monster??

Post by fesspenter Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:12 am

Do not throw it away!
If you leave it out, uncovered, in a dry place, it will recover. My black paint took three weeks to dry out after a big festival in August 2013.
I now put my paint in a food dehydrator to dry it out. I run it over night and the next morning it is back to new again. This upcoming summer, I am going to keep the dehydrator running on the job and supply my team with four pots of white and two pots of black, and we will keep switching out the paints when they get goopy.
I much prefer the Cameleon White, and Global Strong Black for my line work.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

TAG Black colour paint - What the flying spag monster?? Empty Re: TAG Black colour paint - What the flying spag monster??

Post by bubbleblossom Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:29 am

Thank you for the info!! Very helpful :-)

Curious.... Do you prefer chameleon white over Wolfe fx white?

Also, do you leave lids off of your paints all the time? I'm seeing some face painters on YouTube don't use Lids. They just keep them lidless in their cases. Is this so they dry out better?
bubbleblossom
bubbleblossom

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:09 pm

Dear bubbleblossom:
Yes... I prefer Cameleon White over Wolfe FX White.
Wolfe changed their formula and it sent me on a search for something new. Cameleon White is not as good as the old Wolfe White... and the new Wolfe White is not as good as the old Wolfe White. Why should I pay a premium price for an adequate product? I feel the Cameleon White lasts longer in the heat over the Wolfe White.
Yes... I leave the lids off all the time. They dry out faster, set up is faster, and closing up my kit is faster.

Happy Painting!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:51 am

This is an age old problem with Wolfe, TAG, DiamondFX & the other brands similar to this. It is fixable. You can leave it for a few days unlidded in front of an air conditioning vent & it should dry out. I store my paints without the lid & it helps. I've completely switched to Global Strong Black (Global has 2 blacks & the regular one is dull) & so far I've not had my paints go gloppy.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbleblossom Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:19 pm

Thank you! Good to know all these things!

Fess penter I have ordered some chameleon white to try out. the only chameleon I currently have is silver and it's great so I'm expecting Big things haha.

Will try global strong black next as it's summer here and I noticed even inside my house whole practicing face painting my Wolfe black was going a bit goopy too. Not like the Tag but still not good
bubbleblossom
bubbleblossom

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Simply put....
This happened because you let your paints sit in the sun. Depending on various factors (color, moisture in the paint etc) this will cause your paints to either dry up, or get all melty and goopy.

Remember that face paint is makeup. What would happen if you left a tube of lipstick sitting in the hot sun?

TAG Black colour paint - What the flying spag monster?? Lipstick
Exactly.

Tag also is a wax based paint. What happens to wax when it gets warm? Yup.

Now why did this happen to your black more so then your other colors?

Because science!!!

The observable color of an object has to do with the light wavelengths that are reflected from that object. This reflection, in turn, depends the atomic and molecular properties of the object, its surface structure and the angles at which the light hits it and at which someone observes it, among other things. An apple is red because when white light, which is made up of all visible wavelengths mixed together, hits it, its atomic innards reflect all the red wavelengths more than the other colors and bounce them at our eyes.

A black object, like black face paint, looks black because it absorbs all the wavelengths in white light and reflects none. As the paint absorbs all the light coming from sun and, say, a desk lamp, the energy carried by that light doesn't just disappear into the paint, never to be seen again. Instead, as the light is absorbed, it gets converted to other forms of energy, usually heat, and then emitted by the paint. The darker the object, the better it emits heat, because it’s a better 'absorber' of light.

On the other hand, a white object appears white because it reflects all the different wavelengths and absorbs little to no light. It doesn't absorb much energy, and thus puts off little to no heat.

How to fix it?

Dehydrator would work. I also put mine in the fridge when this happens (note the freezer, the fridge. You don't want them too cold) This makes them solid again. That or you could let them dry out with the lids off for a few days, but the fridge is quicker.

Hope this helped, sorry to brain all over the thread. Razz

Last edited by Forest-Fairy on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:32 pm

it's a wonder black face paint doesn't spontaneously combust, lol. good science, forest-fairy. have you been reading wikipedia again? Very Happy
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:44 pm

lol thanks. Razz

Not Wikipedia, but a very long time ago in high school a (religious) classmate in science class said to me "some things can't be explained by science, like how the sky is blue, or this apple is red." I tried to explain to her that sky is blue because molecules in the air scatter blue light from the sun more than they scatter red light. And that when we look towards the sun at sunset, we see red and orange colors because the blue light has been scattered out and away from the line of sight, as there is more atmosphere in the way.

But I couldn't explain the apple right then and there, so she got rather smug. In response I looked it up and schooled her the next day on why the apple was red. Razz

Since then I never forgot lol.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbleblossom Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:00 am

lol forest fairy, thank you for that, makes perfect sense when you actually think about it haha. I will be putting it in the fridge because air drying isnt doing much for it.

On the scientific/religion note... I am what I guess you would call "religious", though, I actually dont like that word or label. I believe in and love God, and am a dedicated Christian (not a hypocritical judgemental religious jerk face. there is a difference). Yet I have a great respect for science and a hunger for learning that drives me to dig out answers from all available resources. Your friend sounds like she may have just been parrotting what she was brainwashed into believing as a child. However there are believers out there who know a great deal about science and believe that science is a blessing, and that God and that good, correct Science can work hand in hand.. in harmony with God the creator with no problems.

I won't go on a long rant, as I do not want to turn this topic into something that would be... a very very very looooong winded discussion no doubt haha. But I will say... some of us "religious" folk don't have a problem with science at all, and some of us believe that most things can be explained scientifically. Our only quam is that we believe science can sometimes be used incorrectly/unscientifically by secularists, to try to deny the existence of God when in actual fact most of the time... there is no need to do so.

I would never get smug with someone if I thought I "knew better" than them in an area... I would much rather discuss the varying possibilities to come to an informed and educated conclusion... after all, that is more scientific... and also more Christlike since He was very humble.

I hope if you haven't already, that you get to meet some good, solid, open-minded Christians in your future :-)
bubbleblossom
bubbleblossom

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:26 pm

lol totally glad i could help.

Sorry about the 'religious' comment, I guess it doesn't make sense with out con context. See my mother (and grandmother) were both Sunday school teachers for most of their lives lol. And My grandparents on my fathers side were missionaries in Venezuela. So my father is literally 'the son of a preacher man' lol. I'm religious as well and very well versed in the topic. Very Happy 

But I was also taught not to just have my head up in the clouds and ignore what is down on Earth. So I guess the context is that my classmate got a 'Science Schooling' about the color red from some one who not only understands the natural world better then her, but also the bible lol. Razz
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbleblossom Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:50 pm

Hahaha very good my friend. Very good. I definitely Sid not catch that. Xo
bubbleblossom
bubbleblossom

Back to top Go down

Post by bubbleblossom Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:51 pm

Missionary work... Not for f2f faint hearted.your grandparents sound amazing :-)
bubbleblossom
bubbleblossom

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:02 pm

I'm with you bubbleblossom and Forest-Fairy. I'm a Christian but I love science too! I don't see a conflict in the study of the record of nature and the study of scripture. In my day job I design, test, and install GPS based precision landing systems at airports worldwide. I really like www.reasons.org for their thoughtful and respectful approach to integrating science and faith.
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by anniel Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Good for you guys--I wish I retained all that wonderfully knowledgeable stuff!! Thanks for the website lead!
anniel
anniel

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2010-12-27

http://entertainment-etc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down