Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Face Glitter and Tattoo Glitter

+3
LittleMonsters
Forest-Fairy
tashasbowtique
7 posters

Go down

Face Glitter and Tattoo Glitter Empty Face Glitter and Tattoo Glitter

Post by tashasbowtique Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:00 am

I see at the shop it says face glitter and tattoo glitter..
my question ..can I use the tattoo glitter on the face? or is it the same grade as craft glitter? what's the difference?
thanks!
tashasbowtique
tashasbowtique

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2014-08-03

Back to top Go down

Face Glitter and Tattoo Glitter Empty Re: Face Glitter and Tattoo Glitter

Post by Forest-Fairy Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:14 pm

oh gosh that's a good question..

I'm sure it depends on the brand of glitter, but if it's cosmetic it 'should' be ok. I know glimmer has a good track record. I have never used my glimmer glitter on the face though.

You could write the company that supplies the glitter as ask. But i think if it's actual cosmetic glitter it should be safe for the face if it's being used on skin. That's my logic anyway.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:33 pm

I actually just bought some Body Glitter from Glimmer last night - the package says, "Do not use around the eyes." I also have some Body Glitter from Tulip and it says, "Avoid use on eye area and lips."
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2014-08-30

http://littlemonstersfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:44 pm

That warning label could really apply to anything. The message is "it sucks when stuff gets in your eyes" - no sh!t. Most of the time that's stuff they put on the package to cover their butts.

If it's real cosmetic glitter, having some get in your eye is going to be no more dangerous then an eyelash. It's going to suck, but wont cause lasting damage. But craft glitter on the other hand is sharp, usually metallic and uses unregulated non cosmetic dyes. THAT is the difference.

With ANY cosmetics you want to be extra careful around the eyes. But cosmetic glitter should be safe for use on the face and skin. However just like my mascara is safe to use on my face - it will still suck when i get it in my eyes. :p
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:52 pm

It would be interesting to see the ingredients of glitter that is made specifically for face/face painting because looking at the glitter I have here, they contain:

- Polyethylene Terephthalate
- Acrylates Copolymer or Epoxy Resin
- Aluminum powder/Iron oxides

Edit: Also, the Snazaroo glitter gel I have contains:

- Aqua
- Polyethylene Terephthalate
- Propylene Glycol
- Triethanolamine
- Polyurethane 33
- Carbomer
- Phenoxyethanol
- Methylparaben
- Butylparaben
- Ethylparaben
- Isobutylparaben
- Aluminum powder
- Propylparaben

The "Ultimate Party Pack - Face Painting Kit" box says, "Not suitable for use around the eyes and lips." as well according to USA FDA Regulations.

Last edited by LittleMonsters on Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:58 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added Snazaroo glitter gel ingredients)
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:34 pm

Oh no's! A lot of big scary sounding words! Me oh my.
Do you even know what any of them mean?
I know a few if them because I have a degree in makeup and special FX and we were taught to know our products.

Lets pick the longest scary sounding word.
Polyethylene Terephthalate this is just a big word for a type of plastic. Since cosmetic glitter is made out of plastic this is actually an ideal ingredient.

You dont just list a bunch a long scary sounding sciency words to scare someone into thinking its unsafe. I can find more the half of those in the ingredients in my eyeshadow pallet.

Also here's a fun fact. If you look really closely at any neon face paints it will say "For Hair and Special FX" this is because tjose colors have not been approved for the use on the face or skin. yet.... you'll see a lot of face painters here with neon designs in their galleries.

I know you are new here, but this topic has been discussed at length throughout the forum.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:04 pm

I don't know why you keep assuming what I'm thinking when I make a post, such as trying to scare people. I just listed what the packaging says as it seemed relevant to me. Propylen Glycol for example is found in a lot of injestible food products. I know the difference between using craft glitter and face glitter but not clear on/if there's a difference between body and face glitter.
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:16 pm

Sorry if I'm assuming. I just figured you didn't know what any of the ingredients were when you posted them. I didn't know a few but could hazard a guess from the names.

Methylparaben for example is one we learned about in school, it's an anti-fungal agent often used in many cosmetic and personal-care products. 

The general feeling is that just because a cosmetic product says to avoid the eyes doesn't mean really much of anything. I've read high brand name eyeliners that have that exact phrase on them lol.

The answer is that if something is rated for use on skin, then should be safe for the face. HOWEVER there are exceptions to this rule, such as using airbrush tattoos on the face. In that case the paints are alcohol based, and could dry out the sensitive skin of the face, most of all on kids. So it's recommended not to be used on the face for that reason. But does this mean this type of makeup should never be used on the face ever? No. This is a product we use in the film industry all the time, and use it on the face. Difference being at the end of the day the FX makeup artists are also the ones removing the makeup from the model. 

It's all up to circumstances. If it's rated for use on skin, then under the right circumstances is should be safe to use on the face.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleMonsters Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:39 pm

Well now I feel better about using the glitter that I have until I get some of the Iridescent Pearl White from the forum shop in a poofer bottle... then I don't have to touch it so much, lol...

I'm always being teased in our class room about glitter because I absolutely HATE it. You CAN'T get rid of it... EVER. But... I do like using it with face painting - outside.
LittleMonsters
LittleMonsters

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:47 pm

I like the tag glitter the most. I find it shows up the best of all the cosmetic ones i have tried.

I have accepted glitter as part of my life as a face painter, I even told my partner that he might be exposed if he started a relationship with me. When he started face painting with me, it took him a while but he got used to the idea of having glitter be a part of his life.

Glitter - The herpes of craft projects.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by tashasbowtique Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:52 pm

I bought the glitter from Face Paint Forum Shop...no label nothing...
tashasbowtique
tashasbowtique

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2014-08-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:40 pm

If you bought it at the face paint forum shop i should be ok, but here are a few ways to help tell if your glitter is cosmetic or not.

Examine the shape:
Look REALLY closely at the glitter. It should all be round tiny pieces if it's cosmetic. Craft glitter is usually random shapes

Feel it:
Take some a rub it between your fingers. Cosmetic glitter should feel softer then craft glitter, which is usually sharp.

those are your two main ways to tell the difference just by look and feel.

Again if the face paint forum is selling it, then it's most likely cosmetic grade. But you can always email them and ask to be certain. Smile
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:00 am

In my experience these are the differences between the "face glitters" and "glitter tattoo glitters".

Face Glitters:
Generally the individual flakes are more translucent and therefore allow for a sparkly enhancement of the painted design without obscuring the elements of the design.
The are also called translucent, holographic and another freaking word I can't think of because i haven't had ALL of my coffee as of yet. Evil or Very Mad
These glitters, when used with glitter tattoos usually yeild subpar results in the category of vibrancy and contrast, but they feel nice to the touch.
You can barely feel this glitter because it's often a finer mill than Glitter Tattoo Glitter.

Glitter Tattoo glitter:
GT glitters are very opaque because they are intended to provide the high contrast vibrancy that is signature to glitter tattoos.
These glitters are not a good fit for face painting (outside of the glitter enhanced designs like Pashur's rockstar eyes in which the glitter is purposefully employed to obscure the base color, think of it as a colored glitter "crust" on your painting). The reason being its opaqueness. Even in photos, the opaque tattoo glitter often translates as little dots on the design because of their solid coloring.
There are different types of Glitter Tattoo Glitters, standard (Glimmer), holographic/lazer (Ybody has these, they reflect a subtle rainbow spectrum in each piece so the glitter looks almost 3D in aspect), and fine milled (Glimmer Go Couture/Ybody).
Glitter Tattoo glitter is often 'heavier' than face glitter for obvious reason.

The main differences between the two types of glitter is their intended purposes and the end result of using them properly AND improperly.

Glitter Tatt Glitter:
Used as Intended: High impact/contrast glitter tattoos.
Not as Intended: Obstructed face painting design and a lack of subtlety in the glitter placement on the painted design.

Face Glitter:
Used as Intended: Impactful but seemingly integral, weightless sparkle that appears to be a part of the paint itself. The design shows through...just with more sparkle.
As not Intended: Low impact/contrast glitter tattoos.

I hope this novella helps...
CJ
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jlirie Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:11 am

thanks for the explanation, lady jayde, that all makes sense.
jlirie
jlirie

Number of posts : 1812
Registration date : 2014-07-31

Back to top Go down

Post by SuzySparkles Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:42 pm

Lady Jayde hit it right on the nose Smile
SuzySparkles
SuzySparkles

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2009-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:28 pm

Nicely done Lady Jayde.

That's pretty much the reason I've never really tried it on the face, I don't think it would look very good.

I have some gold body glitter that I occasionally use to make a little sun low in a sun set sky and palm tree design, but it's not my tattoo glitter, it's another brand i can't recall the name of lol (maybe tulip body art?).
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by Niki Chennell Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:52 pm

Face glitter is usually more transparent.
Body glitter is generally more opaque.
Not always the case though.
Niki Chennell
Niki Chennell

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2014-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by tashasbowtique Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:17 pm

whoa! cool Thanks Jayde!
tashasbowtique
tashasbowtique