Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Nipple, or Not To Nipple?

+5
WyndyO
MandiIlene
LoneWolf
Magic
JBax
9 posters

Go down

To Nipple, or Not To Nipple? Empty To Nipple, or Not To Nipple?

Post by JBax Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:59 pm

I just got inspired to do a series of body paintings (literally, figured out about a dozen rough ideas about a half an hour ago...very excited). And just now, more like seconds ago, the question came to me about whether or not to use pasties. My first and only venture was a man and society isn't near as squeemish about boy-nipples, so I haven't had to make a decision before.

I am personally fine with naked nipples, as this is art and would (dare I dream) hang in a gallery or in my portfolio, but I wanted to get other's take on it. Especially the voices of experience. Are there things I should be factoring in? What is everyone's take on the subject?

Thanks for the input!
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

To Nipple, or Not To Nipple? Empty Re: To Nipple, or Not To Nipple?

Post by Magic Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:45 pm

Hmm I am thinking about the same thing at the moment. I got my first nude coming up. I think it depends on the design and the shape of the nipple. Would love to here from some of the veteran naked lady painters.
Magic
Magic

Number of posts : 556
Registration date : 2008-10-01

http://www.makingfacesparties.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:27 am

Personally I have no problem with bodypainting with nipples uncovered. But I have found that it is easier using the photos after if they are covered in some way. But discreet. If it is obvious she is posing a specific way to hide, then it just draws attention. Sometimes the paint itself can also hide so much, you don't really sees anything. Pages like MySpace and sometimes Facebook can be really strict. It also depend on the size of the breast, since people look more at bigger breast and therefore draws attention away from to art, to the model instead.
The bad thing about nipple covers is that sometimes they can be hard hiding with the paint, depending on the design and how well the paint cover them. The same with other underwear. Wearing it often draws more attention to the fact that she only wear that. So if the pose cover what you want to cover (for photo) - and the model is fine with it - I prefer they don't wear anything.
Conclusion: It depend on the model, the design and what you want to use it for.
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by MandiIlene Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:04 pm

I agree with LoneWolf

Most of the body paintings I have seen you eyes are drawn to the area and if they are covered and camo'd well then they are the better ones to me.

Underwear the same, I think you should find the right pair or go with the covered things, I am sorry, but I am disturbed when they paint the girl's "cookie". I am not that comfortable with nakedness.

I also thing that the bigger/smaller breast thing is also a factor, most ones with small breasts to make it look like its not even a body thats painted are amazing. Most ones where the breasts are part of the design, they are large and the end result is great.

some of my favorites
nick herrara, barely there breasts
To Nipple, or Not To Nipple? DSC_1931
To Nipple, or Not To Nipple? L_9d48156ba2d94c78f2035dd06570eb01

nick wolfe
this chick has large breasts but you don't really get "BOOBIES" from seeing it.
To Nipple, or Not To Nipple? L_84e49255493c429d91c6eb532d365104
this one is excellent camo on the covers
To Nipple, or Not To Nipple? L_5813c049d38e4500bd4ac734b2a30ac9
MandiIlene
MandiIlene

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2009-11-04

http://www.MandiIlene.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:43 pm

If you want to use the photos for promotion/advertising in a public way (particularly in North America) I would use nipple covers. It gives you more options for use of the photos.

And while there are issues with light and refraction with paint covered covers, you can get around it by designing to "hide" them or Photoshop to "fix" it later.

Sometimes I don't want any texture in that area...

But, with Photoshop you can also "fix" real nipple to look not there too... so...

Whatever your comfort level is, and that of your model, will be the deciding factor... that, and whether you can source an adequate supply of appropriate nipple covers when you need them!!

Back to top Go down

Post by WyndyO Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Several painters and Photogs have advised me that they prefer NO nipple covers. This is asuming it is allowed by the venue/occasion/local ordinances and of course if the model is comfortable with it. Photographers can photo edit easily after the fact just as Shannon says to achieve the necessary modesty if for print. (As for photo editing - a color/texture difference is often more difficult/time consuming to correct than smoothing or erasing nipples.)

We had another thread on nipple covers and agreed they are not all created equal. Any undergarment can create a ridge or soak up the paint differently depending on the lycra/latex/cotton content and cause a color fluctuation - some are better than others - so choose well after a little research. Good to find some better ones and even a few seamless underwear to have on hand for when you need them. (Also be sure to factor in when estimating your price for a job!)
WyndyO
WyndyO

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-11-11

http://www.wowfactorypaint.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:33 pm

Excellent discussion. I had wondered if photo editing was frowned upon even in this case but it's what I was thinking of. When I did the way-uber-simple painting on a male model, he was in the buff.... didn't bother either of us, and the poses for public consumption have his hoo-ha in shadows.

But, as there are nether-regions I don't really want to put my brush (pun not intended, but appropriate) Embarassed. Is there a better kind of hoo-hoo shield out there that anyone prefers? I saw something that reminded me of a self-adhesive athletic cup. Any thought?
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:09 am

There are several variations and "sheilds" that are used. I know that medical tape is also used to "seal" orifices in the "nether regions" too...

Makes me cringe to think about removing it...

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:52 am

Shannon Fennell wrote: I know that medical tape is also used to "seal" orifices in the "nether regions" too...

Makes me cringe to think about removing it...

The things models go through for the sake of art. Twisted Evil
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by Sweet Loretta Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:16 pm

I say nipple - if you don't have to mark up your canvas why would you - just paint and go - all skin is always better. When I paint in studio just for the sake of creating art it all nude. I hate painting over clothing.

For quick cover when I have to have it I use NoShows, a tad more expensive but the work. Not all are created equal as noted. Under garment needs to be a cotton lycra blend to accept paint well.

Photoshopping to "blur" an area is acceptable - but look to design and pose to distract the eye.
Sweet Loretta
Sweet Loretta

Number of posts : 748
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.sweet-loretta.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:20 am

TBH unless its for a photoshoot the nipple thing has always been out of my control, decided by the venue. Generally, yep, bare is best but I do try to disguise it with the design. Often i have HAD to paint over bras or boob tubes, especially in HK & China; pain but can be OK. Tip is to spray the fabric with water a bit 1st and make sure you have the right sort of fabric. Also, if you can sew/ gather the bras to the shape of you design it helps...

Now, CHOICE of nipple covers.... I experimented a lot.

Many swear by the latex nipple sheilds; some models keep their own pair. I don't like them; big, rough edged, weird reflective quality through the paint in photos, and have had models complain they were uncomfy. Plus I don't keep oil-based paints/ powder in my kit which some need before being painted with waterbased stuff. I find they are MORE noticeable than when not covered - see this pic to compare. To Nipple, or Not To Nipple? Denim_10

Better choice, also handier, cheaper, in many shapes is those sort of 'plaster' sticker ones you can get even in fashion shops. Some brands are better than others - I found a type in HK that were sort of fibrous, textured like sugar paper, not dimpled in a grid like most are. This pic is the dimpled ones, in daisy shape - not ideal but at least covers any 'perky' nips!To Nipple, or Not To Nipple? Img_0610 I tend to keep a stock in, buy them when i see them as at some comps other artists 'borrowed' all i had!

FAVE but most expensive are the sculpted foam latex breast shields like Yolanda sells - I just put in another big order. You glue around the inner edgae with Prosaide or glitter tatt glue and it lasts fine; can be peeled off at end. Adds to the design! I need to learn to make them but its a smelly process and i don't have an oven to cook in here in HK, let alone a spare for latex!To Nipple, or Not To Nipple? Rhkyc_10 these are the roses. They last a couple of paints depending on how long/ carefully used; a pole dance instructor I do body glitter tatts all over uses them a lot and feels safe and SHES hanging upside down half the time!

Cat x
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:36 am

Wow, thanks for all the great info, everyone!

At this point, I'm still in the pencil and paper phase, so I'll probably have lots more questions later.

I happened to find the daisy shaped covers, and jello-like ones at my local KMart! So I'm glad I've got something inexpensive to experiment on for cases when I must choose not to nipple.
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by Twisted Funny Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:50 am

So I'm a complete N00b here, but I had to ask (and add my 2 cents).

I'm a bit of a prude, I'll admit, but my main objection to leaving the nipple bare is that the nipple changes shape and size with touch/temperature, etc. So it seems to me that using a shield would be the better way to go so you can maintain a "uniform" surface while you're painting. Sure it wouldn't make a difference if the area over and around the nipple is one solid color, but for anything with any kind of pattern, you'd risk altering your design if it got cold.

But I am new to body art, so please, correct me if I'm wrong. I also don't know if there are any good materials to use as nipple shields that give a surface that is similar to the skin to paint on. Please, feel free to educate me! LOL

Twisted Funny

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-07-06

Back to top Go down

Post by freedspirit Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:27 am

I personally like the natural look..But I saw athena on Fabatv use tissue paper and zombie skin. I thought it came out pretty good..better then the shields. Do both! I cant wait to do an all natural..
freedspirit
freedspirit

Number of posts : 884
Registration date : 2011-03-03

http://www.facecreationz.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down