Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In awe of all you Face Painters

3 posters

Go down

In awe of all you Face Painters Empty In awe of all you Face Painters

Post by vikkilynn Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:06 pm

today I practiced on a few kids and have to say even though I have painted all my life it was more difficult than I thought it would be.  

the first girl wanted a dog, I went to sponge the ears I had a shape no where near an ear shape.  could not stay within the imaginary lines.  then when I blended two colors together I didn't get a smooth blend at all.  the little girl loved it but I knew the quality was not very good at all.

the second was a boy and we did a skull mask.  it went well other than he kept needing to scratch the corner of his eye, which blurred out that part of the paint.  I found the teeth a little difficult with the curve of the lower lip. Rolling Eyes they were downright sloppy.

the third little girl we did a butterfly mask on which came out fairly well but my outline was a bit sad.  thank goodness for white stars, dots and glitter.

the fourth was a teenager who we did a side butterfly with swirls.  she was the only kid old enough to know if I did a good job or not.  it came out ok.  again my outline and swirls leave a lot to be desired.  I know that will improve with practice or at least I hope so.  if not I may have to give this idea up before I even start!

I then did a bunch of cheek type art on their arms and legs.  I think my speed was ok for this but again, more practice for sure.

I also found that I could not keep my water clean.  it was always a big grey mess.  should I keep a slop bucket and pour dirty water into it.  then use fresh from another source?

I also found my paints which are loose in a box, were hard to keep track of. time consuming to find just what I wanted to use.  I see some of you use a case where they all fit nicely.  maybe something I should get?

the other trouble I had was contaminating the paint color with the color I had just used, even after I thought I rinsed well.  do I need brushes for every color?

any suggestions you guys have to help is most appreciated.

thanks vikki

vikkilynn

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2013-08-28

Back to top Go down

In awe of all you Face Painters Empty Re: In awe of all you Face Painters

Post by vikkilynn Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:40 pm

reading now old posts on keeping water clean. wanted to say thanks to all. lots to learn here.

vikkilynn

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:53 pm

keep reading the other posts you will find what you are looking for..as for brushes get a few of each size...maybe 3 of each size...but i have to say i love my brushes...also you will need lots of sponges..and just practice...you will also need a bucket to dump your dirty water in...don't fill up your cup to much as you will gIn awe of all you Face Painters 14964954o thru more water that way...I use 4 small cups about the size of a shot glass I don't like the wooden part of my brushes to get wet it makes the paint peel also when I clean my brushes i dry the handles off really well..but when reading all the post here about hygene you will come to what you want to do as far as painting and keeping your kit clean. here is a picture of mine that I use now.
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:56 pm

In awe of all you Face Painters New_ki14
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vikkilynn Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:04 am

thanks so much. putting different wording into the search function helped me find some info. your kit looks great. I really would like to develop clean, fast habits and not have a mess. thanks again

vikkilynn

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:21 am

Hi Vikki,

Don't give up! It takes a little getting used to. I'm sure you'd laugh if you saw most people's first paintings! Nice thing, you get better pretty fast. I keep 3 small buckets. I rinse off in THOSE, then I go to clean water in two cups I keep. It's only the buckets that get dirty...I rinse quickly, one two three bucket. By the 3rd bucket the waters pretty clean, then people always see your "cups" nice and clean when you go to get clean water. Maybe yo want to keep a few brushes just for very light colors like white, yellow, pink. Those are the only ones I find that get a little grey sometimes from brushes that you rinsed black off. I don't think I could work if my paints were all in a box - anyone would find it hard to go rummaging through it each time! I bought two big (really big) round clear plastic "trays" at the dollar store (also available at party stores). I lay out all my paints flat on them, that way I can see every color. Just keep practicing and remember that lots of customers will think you did a great job, as they're not face painters themselves. Also, it's only the kid that needs to be happy, then the parent is happy!
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vikkilynn Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:04 am

thanks Tina. if it was easy everyone would do it as the saying goes. I have always been a bit hard on myself in the arts. the kids did seem to love it. I will be glad to have the clean water problem solved. that water glass looked terrible! today I will get to the store for a few more brushes and have a dark set and light set. thanks again. you all are so helpful! vikki

vikkilynn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down