Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maybe I will start again

3 posters

Go down

Maybe I will start again Empty Maybe I will start again

Post by EerinArts Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:02 am

Hey there everyone,
I am considering trying to set up something again, so that I can facepaint more. At the moment I have no gigs at all, and that has been the case for lots of months. Exept for some bellypaints.
The reason is that I have been down, and out of money, lol. I have no money to invest. I own no car, so I have to do 'everything' by train and bus. It takes a huge amount of time and energy.
And last but not least, I have a physical problem that causes everlasting tiredness and dizziness sometimes.
So, all of that together caused me to lose motivation, and faith in being able to do it.
But I miss it, especially now that I am hanging out here.
And I do think I should be able to do at least some gigs every month.

I was wondering if anyone has some tips or advice about how to promote, and start again, without a huge amount of money.
I do have my face painting supplies, so that is not a problem.
The problem is really promoting with without having the money for it.
I thought about going to a local ice-cream shop, and ask if I can come there twice a month to paint 'for free'. So that I can hand out cards or flyers to the parents.
Of-course I will have to order cards flyers then.. but cards probably do not have to be too expensive.

My friends tell me though, that I should not paint for free, because it will cost me my supplies, and it will be difficult to replace them. What do you guys think?
Do you have any tips/tricks for this financial failure that is me :Plol
EerinArts
EerinArts

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2010-03-27

http://schminkengrime.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Maybe I will start again Empty Re: Maybe I will start again

Post by rthling Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:35 am

Contact a local preschool that has 3-5 year-olds and offer to paint one day for pictures. Send them a permission slip to send home to parents. (Shannon Fennell has one you can use. Click on the word "here" under her signature of any one of her posts.) Make up a list of all the designs you need pictures of and only paint one or two of each design. Let the kids each pick a design, but only give them two choices. Put up a black or white poster behind them on the wall and snap their picture a couple times

Create a website using a free service, like Wix. Make it colorful, yet professional looking. Put tons of pictures on it.

Create a facebook business page. It's free. Then go around "liking" every city and school page in your area. Post on those pages regularly, telling people where to find you.

Never paint for "free". If you need something, like pictures, paint for pictures. Many small businesses will barter with you. Ask for vouchers or gift certificates for payment, if that is something you can use.

When you do make a little money, use it to pay the vendor fee to a festival you KNOW will have tons of children, but only festivals where parents are SPENDING MONEY. If there is a ton of free stuff for kids to do, parents balk at spending money for face painting.

When you work a festival, make sure there is NO ONE doing face painting for free. They will take your customers.

If the girl painted on your arm is any indication, you have mad skillz. You should be able to make this work for you, but it will take time. Lots and lots of time. And you have to work for it. Nothing will land in your lap.

Best of luck to you.
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PrairiePainter Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:52 am

No big advise here but best of luck getting back in the game!!!
PrairiePainter
PrairiePainter

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down