Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How did you start?

+10
Doe
Psalmbook
MissHeidi
Miyagirl
TinafromNY
artyfacesbyluz
mhr2133
ginganinja
maggie
VanityLadii
14 posters

Go down

How did you start? Empty How did you start?

Post by VanityLadii Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:24 am

I'm a frugal mom and my kids are turning 1 and 3 at the end of this month. I was throwing a Yo gabba gabba party. but I needed ideas for activities for the kids to do. So here I am. I'm face painting every chance I get.

How did everyone get started in their hobby or career?
VanityLadii
VanityLadii

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2012-08-16

Back to top Go down

How did you start? Empty Re: How did you start?

Post by maggie Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:30 am

Well, looks like we started the same way Smile
Decided to throw a carnival party for my son's birthday. Got paints and practiced with the kiddies at the Daycare where. Was working and that's how I booked my 1st party. Funny thing is that I was using palmers face paints, eww, eww, eww. lol
maggie
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ginganinja Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:20 am

I was helping my Grandma with her booth at a local festival, and there were some face painters next to us. They had a line all day and at the end I overheard them talking about how much they made. I've always been a little artsy-crafty and figured "I could do that!". The nice thing is Grandma and I try to get out booths together, so while the kids are waiting, the moms are looking at her quilted purses she makes! Win-win!

ginganinja

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post by mhr2133 Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:06 pm

I have this rule in life that every year you need to grow so we pick one skill to learn (after 30 years of this I'm am quite a mix of odd talents) so one year it was a toss up between cake decorating and face painting (I wandered through Micheals for inspiration that year). Well I'm overweight so I decided that the cake decorating would be dangerous so I bought tulip paints and studied you tube like mad, got hooked and really fell in love when I found this forum and metina's wonderful Tag paint. I went into business when my hubby just casually asked the local restaurant if I could come in and paint (i constantly complained of no volunteers) They let me paint for free dinner for my family. I gave out cards and there I got my first party.
mhr2133
mhr2133

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by artyfacesbyluz Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:20 pm

I used to go to festivals selling my oil paintings, one day I was so bored and asked my hubby to go home and bring my face painting "PALMER" kit I used for my daughter's birthday, I painted 100 kids for "tips" only and I made 100 dollars, I thought that was a lot of money for something fun to do, I did another festival after that where they had a professional face painter I loved the look of the rainbow butterflies and I decided to get educated at face painting and buy professional supplies, I painted for free for 6 months, no birthday parties and when I was confident on my art I booked my first party, two years later I still feeling guilty for charging to do something I enjoy so much.
artyfacesbyluz
artyfacesbyluz

Number of posts : 956
Registration date : 2011-02-22

http://www.artyfacesbyluz.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TinafromNY Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 pm

I was looking to get out of my present business (fashion), but I needed something that paid fairly well, unlike local jobs around here. My daughter came up with the idea (that's her as my avatar), as I was already an artist for years. At first I thought she was crazy! Then I researched it, started watching videos and loved how fast a face was transformed into something beautiful. It looked like fun! I bought some Snaz and practiced at home and read tips on forums. I got my "You Tube Degree" (haha, I stole that from someone on HERE, lol), then I went straight to a big orchard here, with some pictures, and they hired me for the season. Now I'm doing birthday parties, festivals, etc. I LOVE face painting and seeing kiddies faces when they look in the mirror! I find it much less stressful and more rewarding than my present job, which I still keep part-time until I can turn this into full-time.
TinafromNY
TinafromNY

Number of posts : 993
Registration date : 2012-07-05

http://www.facefanaticfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VanityLadii Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:16 pm

Awesome. I must say, I'm getting super inspired by seeing everyone on here and their Galleries bounce

But I do hope to improve my work. I just splurged on 3 arty cakes and I dont want to stop playing with them.
VanityLadii
VanityLadii

Back to top Go down

Post by Miyagirl Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:15 pm

I worked at a Bank for about 15 years, stuck in the rut of just going to work, then coming home, having no fun....I have always been a creative person, taking as many art classes when I was in school, I found my way back to my passion of painting about 3 years ago.
I was at a friends party and she had hired a group of face painter/magician/games person. I was shocked to learn she paid $250 for 2 hours of their service and they painted with those little "crayons".
I bought my first set of paints from a local Store (Paradise/Mehron) and painted my daughters face, and I was hooked.
I started painting for free at friends parties and fundraisers around town.
I fell in love with the youtube tutorials and decided this was something I could really do. I'm now booking about 6-8 parties a month usually on weekends, but I consider myself still a "Newbie", and I love this site!!! It's so great to have a forum where we can share ideas,successes, and frustrations.
Thanks Everyone for your inspiration!! SmileSmile
Miyagirl
Miyagirl

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2012-03-30

http://www.Faceartbycarla.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHeidi Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:07 am

My oldest son is on the Autism Spectrum, so I've volunteered at the 2 local 5K races in their Kids Zones for many years. They asked us to paint faces, and I really enjoyed it, but I got tired of not being able to fulfill the spider man, tiger, or full-face butterfly requests Smile I sat in front of You Tube until I got pretty good - then handed out flyers at the last race and got my first gig over the summer. I had my first birthday party not long after that, and next month I have another paying gig coming up... things are starting to happen Smile
MissHeidi
MissHeidi

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-07-30

http://www.colormewildfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VanityLadii Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:19 pm

MissHeidi wrote:My oldest son is on the Autism Spectrum, so I've volunteered at the 2 local 5K races in their Kids Zones for many years. They asked us to paint faces, and I really enjoyed it, but I got tired of not being able to fulfill the spider man, tiger, or full-face butterfly requests Smile I sat in front of You Tube until I got pretty good - then handed out flyers at the last race and got my first gig over the summer. I had my first birthday party not long after that, and next month I have another paying gig coming up... things are starting to happen Smile

Awesome!. My oldest son has Autism. I'm doing the face painting to earn money for my son's stuff. So far I been getting alot of tips and been able to buy stuff.

God Bless. Thank you Guys for sharing your stories
VanityLadii
VanityLadii

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:16 pm

My 11 yr old is in the spectrum as well. I've only painted him 4 times.... He doesn't like the feel of the paint even though it has no feel (sensory issues).

I used to teach art classes to kids & teens at a not-for-profit that taught everything from, music, dance, drama, etc. The mother of one of my students was a clown & needed me to fill in at the Air Show (it was 2005). So, we spent 1 afternoon w/ her teaching me & my then 12 yr old daughter. The next weekend we were off to the Air Show & we made $250 for a full days work! I was soooo happy Very Happy ). We did a lot of clown work for her, but I really wasn't into the clown costume (I can be silly enough, but hated being so stiflingly HOT in the FL heat). I started to branch out on my own in 2007 & then my dad got very sick w/ terminal cancer. I pretty much quit till 2009. I decided to get back into the business, but reworked it so I only had to paint (I hated magic shows... LOL). Many people told me people wouldn't pay for me to come in my regular clothes & just face paint. I'm happy to say I'm booked multiple times most weeks & am doing well & love every minute of what I do!
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Doe Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:04 pm

I've volunteer face-painted for years - YEARS. My background is theatre and I am an actress and drama teacher (also a professional photographer). My husband of 15 years walked out on us last September... My daughter and I started painting all the time as catharsis and for healing... We had been concentrating on it already for a couple months. She (11 years old!) did her first paid party in April. (a puppy party for 12-6 year olds) I did mine in May. We've been accepting bookings since June...
Doe
Doe

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2011-08-26

http://www.doearts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ParTIA Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:43 pm

After standing in line with my daughter for over an hour to get painted- I decided to give it a go. I have always been artistic and fell in love immediately with face painting.

Tia
ParTIA
ParTIA

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-07-05

http://www.partiafacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MissHeidi Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:45 pm

Linda - my son with Autism is my avatar. This is one of the few times he let me paint him something that I needed to practice. He's an Aspie... the paint doesn't bother him, but he's very particular about when he'll be painted, and what design is acceptable! Usually it's something very obscure that nobody would EVER request Rolling Eyes NOT something for my photo album or future display board! But he does keep me challenged!
MissHeidi
MissHeidi

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-07-30

http://www.colormewildfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by VanityLadii Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:57 pm

My son loves to paint but doesnt like stuff to touch his face. So he never lets me practice anything but those mustaches LOL
VanityLadii
VanityLadii

Back to top Go down

Post by tigerlillyjessie Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:18 am

I'm a primary school teacher and I had to paint my class as birds for a school production. I had paints from the $2 shop and watched a video on Youtube and when I looked at the amazing designs and products on the net I was so hooked! It took me a while to save up and actually buy the good stuff but I'm so glad I did Very Happy
tigerlillyjessie
tigerlillyjessie

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2012-01-19

http://www.enchantedbrushes.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by AngelBare Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:24 pm

The first time it occurred to me i could do it myself I was 15, at a church fair with my best friend. We went back to her house and painted all over each other with craft paint! That same year we set up a Halloween face painting booth for the art club and I was introduced to actual face paint. I've volunteered for things over the years but only within the last six months started really practcing and charging for my work. I also attended YouTube U, although I'm an art major in school right now trying to finish my degree, and hoarding money to pay for my paperwork and build my kit.
AngelBare
AngelBare

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2012-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post by martha Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:42 am

Was asked to be the facepainter on a mission trip last year. Never did it before but got firmly hooked with the smiles of those kids. I paint any time I can squeeze it into my schedule but so far just charitable work...churches, MOPS, Sunshine school, etc....and for friends. People keep asking me if I would do parties but I don't have the time to get that deep yet and I'm too OCD to only do something halfway.
martha
martha

Number of posts : 1951
Registration date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down