Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for constructive criticism

+3
Katurah
PrairiePainter
Sonyalynn
7 posters

Go down

Looking for constructive criticism Empty Looking for constructive criticism

Post by Sonyalynn Mon May 27, 2013 7:43 pm

I have designed a business card for myself. I went with NymphWing designs for a business name and designed the logo over the last few days. I need some constructive criticism. I really like it but I know that some of you are graphic designers also and life is so much easier with critiques. So my feelings won't be hurt and I won't throw a temper tantrum. I just need to know honest opinions and suggestions. If you like it, why? what do you like? If you don't like it why? What don't you like about it? Thank you guys for being so supportive so far!

Looking for constructive criticism Busine10
Sonyalynn
Sonyalynn

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2013-05-06

Back to top Go down

Looking for constructive criticism Empty Re: Looking for constructive criticism

Post by PrairiePainter Mon May 27, 2013 10:46 pm

I really think it would benefit from an example of your own work. Other than that it does the trick. Pretty, readable, and it gives a sense of your personal style.
PrairiePainter
PrairiePainter

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Katurah Tue May 28, 2013 12:10 am

PrairiePainter wrote:I really think it would benefit from an example of your own work. Other than that it does the trick. Pretty, readable, and it gives a sense of your personal style.

Although the downside to that could be what I've found to be true. My business cards are outdated, not nessicarily because of the design of the card but the photos I've used. I've since improved my work dramatically and I'm a tad embarrassed about the photos on the card now. So now, looking back, I would choose to not have the photos on my card. But depends on how you feel and how often you will update your cards.

I think your card looks great btw! Very Happy
Katurah
Katurah

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2012-03-12

http://www.katurahpaintspeople.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Tue May 28, 2013 4:29 am

Can you really handle it??? Suspect I'm always hesitant to be honest so I hope you don't disappear but here goes:

Nymph brings to mind nymphomanic or little green bugs.
When I search on nymph wings it brings up cosplay adult wings and some naughty cartoons. So if you were making wings are part of your craft, that would fit in but it's doesn't bring to mind (or google) face painting.

As far as graphic arts...I think I would have separate cards for face painting that included actual painted images. You might only want to order 250 at a time so that you can update your photos but just one good photo is enough. Take your time and paint a really good blue butterfly on yourself, better than the drawn illustration.

I could see you including henna and face painting in one card but design and crafts really don't go with it. It's cool that you do those things, but I think it takes away from the body art.

So, I think you have to decide where you are going to hand these out and what is their purpose. My cards are intended to get me more children's parties (mostly) because that's who I hand them out to. I hand them out at fairs, at parties I'm already booked at and to the public asking if I do parties. Smiles by Sonjalynn, Blue Butterfly Body Art (if you want to do henna and face painting equally), Wings & Things...make it easy to remember and spell, maybe with some alliteration and no "trickee" spelling.

Lastly, you need to be more bold. It's hard to read. Use a cleaner and bolder font that you can read from arms length. Try to get up to 10 pt if you can.

Sorry to blow it up but better now than a year from now when you are struggling to get people to your website or obnoxious "drunk uncles" ask you for the 50th time if you're a nymph.
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-04-06

http://www.denisecold.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PrairiePainter Tue May 28, 2013 9:02 am

Denise makes a good point about including your jewelry design in your body art card. Some people may assume someone with that many tricks in their bag will only deliver mediocre work because they've got too much on their plate. Maybe you'll nee to create a separate identity for your separate areas of interest.

The nymph IS traditionally considered a sexual character. I didn't make the associatin right away but others may.

PrairiePainter
PrairiePainter

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2013-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by MelindaT0813 Tue May 28, 2013 12:01 pm

I also agree, the name is buggy and doesn't sound like a childrens' entertainer. What about butterfly faces? since you liked bugs?
Or maybe
fairy fly events
Butterfly Entertainment
or something like that?
Also, it doesn't look like an entertainer's card, looks like a bug collector card
Maybe some pictures of kiddos painted?
MelindaT0813
MelindaT0813

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2011-03-16

http://www.mindyentertainment.com

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards Tue May 28, 2013 1:07 pm

ON the name.... IF you decide not to go with Nymph Wing... what about LaceWing? Also a type of bug, delicate, pretty, goes with the idea of what you do.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Tue May 28, 2013 2:52 pm

Good suggestion. Lace Wing is a good fairy party sounding name.
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonyalynn Fri May 31, 2013 12:38 am

Okay so I took your suggestions and this is what I have. I changed the name and with it the logo and the basic layout of the card. I took off the jewelry and design. I left a drawing for the very reason that Katurah mentioned, I am still learning and rapidly my skill is increasing daily, at least each time I practice so I think having a photo right now would just hold me back. That said I set it up so that once my improvement slows down a bit I can adjust the card to fit in an image by taking things out or just moving them around. I kept the fonts because I love them but adjusted it so that they are both above 10pt. I plan to keep the back pretty much the same. I am not offended by your suggestions, keep them coming. Smile Thanks for the help! Also please keep in mind that the card is actually 2inX3.5in and not the size you see on your screen.

Looking for constructive criticism Bluebi10
Sonyalynn
Sonyalynn

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Fri May 31, 2013 1:50 am

I love the name. Very memorable and easy to search. I love the little blue bird in the tree, could you enlarge that image until it was coming off of the card so the bird in the tree was bigger and take out the other "loose" bird. I think you should have one or the other and move the Title over to accommodate it. Other than that I would align your information with the "Design" text at the top so they are all on the right margin.

I don't have your fonts but I made a little mockup with the bird bigger etc.

Looking for constructive criticism Blue-b10

Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards Fri May 31, 2013 5:03 am

I think as a business tool, this one works much better!

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonyalynn Fri May 31, 2013 8:57 am

Alright I think it's done! Smile Clean and still displays my style. Looking for constructive criticism Bluebi14
Sonyalynn
Sonyalynn

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Fri May 31, 2013 10:16 am

Looks good! Hope you hand out a ton.
Oh, I forgot. I took out your city for a reason. I rarely work in my own town and so you don't want people thinking you're limited to old town.
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonyalynn Fri May 31, 2013 11:52 am

We live in a pretty centralized area, for people around here it's common sense that if you live in Old Town or Orono or any of the surrounding cities that you will travel a bit. Plus when people want to hire me they know where I live and hopefully be more reasonable when it comes to travel. Smile And beyond a 15 mile radius of Bangor we have miles and miles of miles and miles. On a happy note I will be the only Face painter in that radius! Smile It's a little scary too!
Sonyalynn
Sonyalynn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonyalynn Fri May 31, 2013 11:53 am

PS. You are AMAZING thank you so much for all of your help! Did you draw all of those culyque things on your mockup yourself?
Sonyalynn
Sonyalynn

Back to top Go down

Post by Denise Cold Fri May 31, 2013 10:52 pm

Oh, no...just borrowed it for a bit. Smile
Denise Cold
Denise Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris5115 Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:13 am

Have you considered adding removal instructions on the backside? Gives you a great reason to hand them out to everyone you've painted!
Kris5115
Kris5115

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2012-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down