Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Constructive criticism?

+4
maggie
tanyamaldo119
cc
Elise
8 posters

Go down

Constructive criticism? Empty Constructive criticism?

Post by Elise Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:44 am

What am I doing wrong? It seems like only half of the time i can get a precise line or right consistency. They just don't seem as clear and sharp as so many other FP's work ?

Constructive criticism? IMG_3340

Constructive criticism? IMG_3354

Constructive criticism? IMG_3360
Elise
Elise

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-06-28

http://www.wix.com/blossomfacepainting/elise

Back to top Go down

Constructive criticism? Empty Re: Constructive criticism?

Post by cc Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:15 am

Consistently good linework takes time and practice (IMHO). Just keep at it, and you'll get it. That said...I don't see any problems with your linework in these pictures. They're just beautiful! Your palmtrees look great! I LOVE your butterfly, and how, by using the orange as your strong color (and not black), it gives it a pretty and softer look. And I like how you used a variety of different center colors on your double dip flowers - very pretty!
cc
cc

Number of posts : 590
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://www.fabagaba.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tanyamaldo119 Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:20 am

Your line work may not be the way you want it but your work is beautiful. I think all 3 faces are very cute.
tanyamaldo119
tanyamaldo119

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2010-08-09

http://www.misstanyasfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maggie Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:46 am

Elise, I think your work is great! Totally agree with cc on the practice, of course unless you are Kim, but we all know she is from another planet Smile

I really like the palm tree and the blending you did for the base.
Using red/orange for line work is very clever, it almost look like the butterfly just landed on your face, just beautiful!

The flowers are so cute but it looks like your brush isn't wet enough, Lisa Young has a great youtube video on those flowers.

Good luck and keep on doing what your are doing, it is paying off girlie.
maggie
maggie

Number of posts : 2677
Registration date : 2010-11-27

http://www.maggieplummerfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:59 am

I was looking for problem in linework, and couldn't really see an example in your pics... they are lovely.

It takes a bit of practice (echo?). But basics are, for line work use a higher wax paint like DFX, Wolfe, Tag. It won't blend as much. And wait for the base to dry first. The other is water control, and that is just a trial and error to learn how much water you need in the paint for a good solid line without being runny or too dry. Look just before the line, where you want the brush to go. And, IMHO, most importantly, confidence in your linework. Shaky faith in your lines make crappy lines. Attack it like you know it will be awesome.
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by cc Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:22 am

JBax wrote: And, IMHO, most importantly, confidence in your linework. Shaky faith in your lines make crappy lines. Attack it like you know it will be awesome.

Great advice!!
cc
cc

Number of posts : 590
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://www.fabagaba.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:36 am

Your photos look beautiful Elise. Smile What paints are you using for linework? (If Snaz, that may be your problem. It's great for bases but for linework you need DFX, Diamond or something else with higher pigment.) For darker lines, try "mixing" your paint a good deal before starting. You'll want a little "well" of mixed paint in the bottom of your black cake for you to draw from. Dip your brush in the well to wet it, then wipe it on the edge of the well to remove excess water and load even more pigment.

As you are wiping the brush, shape it into a flat end. Then when you apply it to the face, use the flat end like a knife making an incision. Start very lightly, then press down harder for fatter lines, and lighter again for thinner lines. Be confident. Know where you are going to go with your line before you ever start the stroke. This will remove any faltering you may feel. For flower petals, drag the brush a teensy bit away from the center of the flower before pressing down for a nice sharp teardrop shape.

Hope this helps!
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by spankymclaalaa Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 am

I think they all look great, can't really find anything I would change...
spankymclaalaa
spankymclaalaa

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-10-29

http://www.mommyslittlemonsters.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 am

AngieAnders wrote:Your photos look beautiful Elise. Smile What paints are you using for linework? (If Snaz, that may be your problem. It's great for bases but for linework you need DFX, Diamond or something else with higher pigment.) For darker lines, try "mixing" your paint a good deal before starting. You'll want a little "well" of mixed paint in the bottom of your black cake for you to draw from. Dip your brush in the well to wet it, then wipe it on the edge of the well to remove excess water and load even more pigment.

As you are wiping the brush, shape it into a flat end. Then when you apply it to the face, use the flat end like a knife making an incision. Start very lightly, then press down harder for fatter lines, and lighter again for thinner lines. Be confident. Know where you are going to go with your line before you ever start the stroke. This will remove any faltering you may feel. For flower petals, drag the brush a teensy bit away from the center of the flower before pressing down for a nice sharp teardrop shape.

Hope this helps!

I concur with what Angie said. While your work is good (way better than when I started) as artists, we're always looking to hone our skillset. Ultimately, YOU have to be happy with your line work and since you're not, I will weigh in here.

As Angie said, different brands of makeup require different water-to-paint ratios. The key to sharp linework is a brush that is loaded sufficiently. The sufficiency of the loading will depend on the type of paint. For example, I find hat for DFX non-metallics a thin, liquid eyeliner or pottery slip consistency works best but with the metallics, I need it a bit creamier. I've found that if the paint is glycerin based (Kryolan, Snaz, Paradise) you need to work a bit more to the right consistency, where as with the beeswax based paints (DFX, Wolfe, Tag) there's not so much work.

I'd suggest that you plop down in front of the boob-tube and play around with different consistence for the paints you use. You'll know when you've reached your eutopia when 1) the paint doesn't bleed into the finite skin cracks & valleys, and 2) when the lines are clearly defined around the edges without feathering out (a sign of there not being enough paint left). Once you become comfortable with how to load your different paints and encorporate the execution techniques Angie outlined, I think you'll be happier with your results. I know that some of the techniques seem tedious and taxing, but once the muscle memory kicks in, it will be second nature. I know that when I first got started, I was under so much pressure to paint faster and faster and my line work suffered because I hadn't mastered my line strength. I took a step back and focused on my line quality (even though it meant spending an extra 30 or 40 seconds on a design) and wouldn't ya know it, once I trained my hands to provide the right pressure and move the way I wanted, I was able to paint faster with better results.

Your work isn't as bad as you think it is, I do see the feathering on some parts, but I don't doubt that any little girl would still be over the moon about having those designs. If you want to add some *pop* look into accenting your designs in strategic places with a high contrast lining paint...you'd be amazed at how a very little white or black (even dark blue, purple and green) will bring your design up a notch!

Keep at it lady, looks like you're on the right path from where I'm sitting.

LJ
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Elise Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:32 am

I think maybe my problem is that at the moment i am working from only the basic colours of the colour wheel with snazz paints and three tag split cakes (actually 4 but i find the neon rainbow so awful because it never works and the middle colours blend together to create brown or its just too thick to even go on the face)

Yeah I guess you are all right, just practise practise practise especially as I am just starting out. I did a party on the weekend and as much as the kids and parents loved it, the lines just weren't clear and sharp as such.

Is there any tips on doing linework with the snaz paints? Just because i don't yet have enough money to buy new paints
Elise
Elise

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2010-06-28

http://www.wix.com/blossomfacepainting/elise

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 am

The only advice I can give is...practice, practice, practice. Once you learn what consistency you need in order to have the paint flow off your brush, you'll be able to commit that mixture to memory. Shannon has several pictures of Snaz only paintings with very crisp clear lines, so it is possible. She may be able to point you in a more distinct direction as far as water to paint ratio. The only other option would be to sit down with the color that you use least and a brush and keep at it until you find the consistency that will allow you to create several consecutive sharp lines/teardrops without reloading and work from there.

Good Luck...
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AngieAnders Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:28 am

Mixing the paint and water together really well will help with the Snaz black. Knowing how much water to add is something you'll need to figure out by trial and error.

On the split cakes, you might try spraying the sponge instead of the cake and see if that helps the middle colors stay more distinct?

I think your work looks beautiful, by the way. You don't look like a beginner at all! More wonderfulness to come as you learn your paints and your style. Very Happy
AngieAnders
AngieAnders

Number of posts : 1849
Registration date : 2008-09-22

http://www.facesalive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down