Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Gig - Advice needed!

5 posters

Go down

First Gig - Advice needed! Empty First Gig - Advice needed!

Post by TeeBee Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:19 am

Hello,

To date I'd call myself a hobbyist - undertook a course in February and since then have only been painting my daughters and at a couple of friend's birthday parties - but this weekend I'll be doing my first real gig, a 5hr Spring Fair, eeeek!

I am looking for some advice on where to keep the takings/money? Also, does anyone have advice on the wording I should use on a sign along the lines of "no sores/lice/colds/etc". And any other advice anyone else can think of would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm also wondering what price to charge - as I presume I'll only be doing butterflies and half faces/masks, would $5 (Australia) be ok? Oh, and, I'll also have my Glitter Tattoos there, what is the going rate in Aus at the moment?

Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions!!
TeeBee.

TeeBee

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-03-06

Back to top Go down

First Gig - Advice needed! Empty Re: First Gig - Advice needed!

Post by miss D Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:08 am

Hi! I'm also a newbie so I don't know how good my advice is but here goes

takings - I've used a cash box and also a bumbag and I found the bumbag is be the easiest cos i could just take the payment, pop it in my bumbag and keep
painting. I also felt more secure keeping the cash on me

pricing - I charge $5 for cheek art and $8 for half masks/butterflies. I think this gives people good options depending on what they want to spend

my sign says something along the lines of 'in the interest of your childs wellbeing I can only paint on clean skin free from any wounds or skin conditions'

hope this all helps you a bit
miss D
miss D

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2012-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by TeeBee Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks Miss D, thanks so much for your advice, I really appreciate it.
Well fingers crossed everything goes well tomorrow!!
TeeBee

TeeBee

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-03-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:47 pm

Good advice from Miss D, especially as she's in Australia too and will have an idea of the rates there. Smile I can't add anything, but just wanted to say GOOD LUCK with your first gig, and I'll be eagerly awaiting a report-back and photos!

I did my first gig a couple of weeks ago, and people here were so supportive. You might want to look up that thread (in the New to Face Painting section, somewhere) to see if there's any tips on it you might not have considered. It was invaluable to me.
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachymango Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:24 pm

I use a cash tin. Offer an arm painting to people with skin conditions, head lice I just deal with as some of the kids really do live in 3 rd world conditions.
I just charge $5 per face but that for my market gig and I could probably charge a little more.
Also I wear my hair firmly out of the way as it is waist length and I don't want any nastys in it. Also I use a wet wipe between customers and change water while I'm asking what they want.
Peachymango
Peachymango

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2010-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:27 pm

I'd suggest running a couple of quick searches for more specific wording as this has been brought up several times here. It's a lot to retype.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:44 am

OT I realise, but Lady Jayde - I LOVE your new avatar! I love you
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down