Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Websites essential? Advice needed!

3 posters

Go down

Are Websites essential? Advice needed! Empty Are Websites essential? Advice needed!

Post by RickyMUA Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:17 pm

Hello Everyone,
I haven't posted in a long while thanks to my studies, but I would love some insight if you guys don't mind. I am now finding myself looking for more work face painting, because as a full time student, living on my own, finances can be tough. However, it seems that only when my money is really down to the wire, I book parties or events. This is awesome, and I thank the universe often for its blessings haha, but I would love for it to be more consistent. I normally post on Craigslist or I book based on word of mouth, but lately I've been considering making a website. The only thing stopping me I must say is my lack of confidence in my work, ( I was born an artist and study it, so to me my work is never good enough haha) and pictures-- I always forget to take photos. So the question I pose to everyone is, when you made a website, say through Wix, or similar companies, was that all you did? Or did you take extra marketing strategies in order to get the word out that you were open for business?

Thank you in advance,
Ricky
RickyMUA
RickyMUA

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2013-05-21

Back to top Go down

Are Websites essential? Advice needed! Empty Re: Are Websites essential? Advice needed!

Post by Forest-Fairy Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:00 pm

When i lived in a small town it was all word of mouth. When i moved to the city I took my face painting more seriously and made a website. Doesn't matter what you do as a business these days, if you want to be taken seriously you need a website.

Still a lot of still is still word of mouth. ALWAYS have business cards with you at ALL times even when you aren't painting, you never know when something will come up and you better have your contact info on hand. Never forget to pass out your cards to parents at the end of the party for example.

Take pictures of your work! Get into the habit big time. A gallery is big part of people taking you seriously.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Number of posts : 1672
Registration date : 2014-03-13

http://vancouverfacepainting.ca

Back to top Go down

Are Websites essential? Advice needed! Empty Re: Are Websites essential? Advice needed!

Post by RickyMUA Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:41 am

Thank you so much I really appreciate your feedback. Do you think that setting up at a park for the sake of photos is a good idea?
RickyMUA
RickyMUA

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:18 am

No prob.

1. Check local laws about busting in parks.
you do not want a fine or worse your supplies confiscated.

2. ALWAYS make sure you have the parents permission to paint and photograph their kids.
some artists go as far as to get signed permission and model release forms.
where I live its more laid back so I just ask and frame it like it makes them a mini celebrity to 'get in the book'. Then I have a disclaimer in the book and on my website that I'll remove photos immediately if asked. Bit risky some might say but i have never had an issue in 14 years. Canada BC isn't known for being sue-happy lol. So use your own discretion.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyMUA Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:37 am

Oh the park I'm going to is apart of my parents home owners associations, and I have a model release section on my contract--I'll just make a separate draft of that. Thanks for mentioning that Wink
RickyMUA
RickyMUA

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:35 am

Sounds perfect then! Best of luck.

I find when I want to try new things and get pics I make a list of selections for kids to choose from. Otherwise you'll be painting the staple tigers and butterflies and "what she had"s all day lol.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyMUA Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:26 pm

Haha trying to sway girls-- in particular, from a design their best friend has, is like pulling teeth with no Novocain. I once did a birthday party where of the 18 kids I painted, 13 were painted the Minnie Mouse design. Shocked
So thank you for the advice again I really appreciate it.
RickyMUA
RickyMUA

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyMUA Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:28 pm

Oh I forgot one last thing, would you charge the kids at the park, or do it for free? Time wise I was only thinking of spending about an hour, maybe two there.
RickyMUA
RickyMUA

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:50 am

Personally I would do it for free in exchange for the photo (and the limited design choices) Maybe have a sign that says “Paintings for Pics” - Take your time and get it as perfect as possible. Once you have a picture of a particular design, that design is no longer a choice for the next kids. If you do a better version of the design later on, take a pic and swap it out. The goal is to get as many different designs as possible, so no duplicates.

Taking pictures at events is something most of us think we don’t have time for but can take just 2 extra seconds per customer if we are commited to getting them and I think it makes the child feel special to get their picture taken. I was only taking pics of the kids where the design came out super cute (because of their face or their outfit) but I realized that it makes the other kids wonder why you didn’t take one of them. Another thing I realized is that many times the host is way too busy to take photos of everyone and sending them the photos after the party is so much appreciated and a great way to follow up, thank them for their business and the odds of them taking the time to write a positive review go up significantly.
eviedejesus
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyMUA Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:52 pm

Thank you so much for your advice I really appreciate it. As I stated before, I'm such a perfectionist so I'm never really pleased with my work. However, I definitely see your perspective and how those positives out way my over-analytical tendencies.
RickyMUA
RickyMUA

Back to top Go down

Post by eviedejesus Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:10 pm

We are always our worst critics, I think most artists are perfectionists. Even the designs that I think “ooh...that looks great”, I will pick it apart a week later with “I should’ve done this or that...” Lol.
eviedejesus
eviedejesus

Number of posts : 662
Registration date : 2012-06-08

http://www.fantasyfacedesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Forest-Fairy Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:36 pm

I would do it by donation to be honest, not free, or TFP (time for prints).

That way you aren't lowering the value of the work, you make a little cash to pay for supply, and if you do a crappy piece for whatever reason, you don't HAVE TO take a photo of it, and you didn't do all that work for nothin'.

But really even if you can't use the photo, take a picture anyway because you can also use the photos to examine and critique your own work later.
Forest-Fairy
Forest-Fairy

Back to top Go down

Post by RickyMUA Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:34 pm

Thank you both for your suggestions and advice. I really appreciate it. I will thankfully have time this coming weekend to do to paint and proactively take photos. If I'm not too critical of myself I will definitely post them. Thank again.
RickyMUA
RickyMUA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down