Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More quick advice needed!

+7
Tash
Perry Noia
eva
Noella
debranewmanart
Taradoodles
Kristal
11 posters

Go down

More quick advice needed! Empty More quick advice needed!

Post by Kristal Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:30 pm

I've been a part of a trade show twice a year for the last 2-3 years, doing PPP (no booth fees) and it's been great. We're planning the next one, and I said yes I'd do PPP again (she had said she'd consider paying me but then asked if I minded sticking with PPP) but I'd only do the weekend since past experience says Thurs/Fri SUCK.

She emailed back and said she'd really like me there all 4 days, and would be willing to give me some money to entice me. I would still do PPP but this would be bonus money. My question is how much to ask for?

The Thurs is 4:00-9:00 and the Fri is noon-9:00. Normally the 5.0 hour day would be, after 1/2 day discount, $500 + travel, and the 9.0 hour day would be $800 + travel. I'm finding it tricky to come up with a $ though, because I'm not working hourly (nor would I want to, I'm thinking, if that makes it 2 days hourly/complimentary and 2 days PPP - I can just see that being confusing), just trying to make it suck less, haha. The stuff I'd have to have there anyway, it's just the time that's very trying.

Should it just be covering parking ($50 over 2 days) and food ($20-25 over 2 days?) plus some extra? Since it is PPP I don't want to look like I'm trying to get paid twice, but I don't really want to sit there for 2 days where the target demographic are seniors (who still don't usually take cards after I mention grandkids) for the majority of the day...

What would you ask for?
Kristal
Kristal

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://www.faceaballoonza.com

Back to top Go down

More quick advice needed! Empty Re: More quick advice needed!

Post by Taradoodles Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:02 pm

tricky show. Ill leave this one to people with way more experience than me! goodluck!
Taradoodles
Taradoodles

Number of posts : 812
Registration date : 2011-04-03

http://www.taradoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by debranewmanart Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Let me see if I understand...you're making $1300.00 plus travel expenses in 14 hours while not working very hard...gee, I wish I had problems like that. Wink

debranewmanart

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2011-06-26

https://www.facebook.com/debranewmanart

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:35 pm

No! That's what I WOULD be charging if that was hourly. This is Pay Per Piece.

They want me there, doing PPP for 4 days. The weekend I have no problem with because it's pretty busy. But I wasn't keen on sitting there Thurs/Fri making nothing and having to pay for parking etc, which is why I said I would only do the weekend. They have asked if by giving me some money - NOT $1300+ - that would make it better/easier for me to sit around during the week when in the past I've barely made enough to cover parking.

I WISH it was hourly. I would gladly sit on my hiney then.
Kristal
Kristal

Back to top Go down

Post by Noella Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:32 pm

Do you have an opportunity cost for these days? Something else you could/should be doing or that would make you money?

I would definitely go for travel and third party expenses (parking etc), factor in a bit for time, but what about converting some of what you are offering to appeal to the target market? Like support ribbons for breast cancer etc? I find seniors more willing to have something small that they believe in....
Noella
Noella

Number of posts : 532
Registration date : 2010-08-09

Back to top Go down

Post by eva Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:52 pm

I once did a ppf that offered to pay me the difference if I didn't make enough to cover what I wanted to make. I had tried to turn down the gig because I didn't think it would merit enough to be worth my time. Then you wouldn't feel greedy for getting paid twice but wouldn't be loosing out either. So for instance.... If you thought 150$ a day would be what it took to make it worth it, then you had 5 customers at 8$, then the event pays you 110 to cover the difference?? I know those numbers are probably way off , just an example. Just a suggestion
eva
eva

Number of posts : 1108
Registration date : 2008-12-13

http://www.cincinnatifacepainters.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:33 pm

Personally, I'd just do it because I can't stand to only be there for PART of an event and not the whole thing.... but, I'm sure covering expenses would be acceptable.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Tash Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:23 pm

Yep- I'd go for covering expenses... I mean whenever you do events you always take a chance it's not going to rain out so the fact they are offering to compensate you for being a part of the whole thing I think is really good.
Tash
Tash

Number of posts : 1883
Registration date : 2010-01-04

http://faceartbytash.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by leapinglizards Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:03 pm

Well, if you want to be super generous you could offer this- something I have done in restaurants I have done readings in - ask if they would simply guarentee your minimum... Ie- how much would you have to make for that day to be worth while sitting there. This way, if you GET business, she might not have to pay anything. The result of this is that NOW the promoter has a reason to help you get business on those slow days.

It has always worked out for me- granted a different form of "entertainment" but similar.

leapinglizards

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2009-10-31

http://www.livecanvasart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by helena Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:04 pm

I agree with the above advice - covering expenses would be a good idea (parking and food.)

I do think that you could ask for more than that too, as per the agreement with them, you said you'd just do the weekend for PPP. You could maybe ask for an honorarium for those two days, a token amount like $100 a day or somesuch... but the other thing to think about is that it sounds like you've done (and will continue to do) quite a bit of work for them and that you enjoy it - that's worth quite a bit right there.

So maybe tell her that because those two days are so slow, you appreciate her offering to give something and whatever she feels comfortable giving for those extra two days would be great? (Does she know how much your usual rate would be?)
helena
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geekophile Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:58 am

Ya know, if you're not running the risk of having to turn down a gig because of it... Which you're probably pretty safe for Thursday, but Friday? I would ask for the amount I'd make from a two hour gig (as that is my average booked time and what I would likely miss on Friday. If you normally book longer gigs ask for more) Plus the amount for my expenses (parking, food, hotel, etc) This way I won't loose any money and won't worry about missing any work. Then I would go to the library, get me a good book, and take adventage of some forced down time!
Geekophile
Geekophile

Number of posts : 1020
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://sophiessmileyfaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Griffinblue Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Geekophile wrote:Ya know, if you're not running the risk of having to turn down a gig because of it... Which you're probably pretty safe for Thursday, but Friday? I would ask for the amount I'd make from a two hour gig (as that is my average booked time and what I would likely miss on Friday. If you normally book longer gigs ask for more) Plus the amount for my expenses (parking, food, hotel, etc) This way I won't loose any money and won't worry about missing any work. Then I would go to the library, get me a good book, and take adventage of some forced down time!

I totally agree here. Sadly, occasionally my lack of confidance has led me to ask for the them to decide what I was worth, which is not always in our favor(but sometimes it is!). I think this is fair way to get what you are worth and avoid any guilt or bad feelings on your part.
Griffinblue
Griffinblue

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:24 am

Thank you!!

I wouldn't do it just to be at the whole event...I have in the past, and the Thursday I barely made back my parking, and definitely did not make back gas. (This is downtown Vancouver - the same parkade I can park all day in for $7 on the weekend costs $25.50 - or it did last time - during the week. Add this to it being a school/work night and it's not actually destined for greatness Razz)

Also being Vancouver and October - it's an indoor event. We get rain seemingly year round (ha) and we're pretty big on conventions - no one wants the vacuum booth at the home show outdoors Razz So I know I'll be dry inside, anyway.

I didn't really want to ask what she would want to give me because she doesn't even know my hourly rates, lol. I didn't want her to make an offer only to have me counter offer a higher rate, kwim? Nor would I want a "pittance"...

I ended up emailing her today (finally. And of course she's not in the office until tomorrow) explaining how Friday's the 3rd busiest day etc (in retrospect I should have mentioned how little I made during the week previously...oh well.) and asked for travel only for Thursday (I ran the idea past my parents and they vetoed the food bit - seeing as I would have to eat, regardless of where I was...lol) and travel + 2.0 hour corporate minimum so I could be there for 13 hours over 2 days and not feel like I was sitting there losing money.

Will let you know what the response is! Keep your fingers crossed for me, please and thanks...
Kristal
Kristal

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristal Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:42 am

Success!

Excerpt from my message to her:

And thank you for the offer! I would love to take you up on that. As an FYI, my hourly rate (patrons participate compliments of my client) for one artist on the Thursday would be $500 + travel for the 5.0 hours. For Friday's 9.0 hour day would run $800 + travel - a total of $1300 + $100 travel to downtown for the 2 days.

Here are my thoughts: I know I'd still be providing PPP services, and chances are that I wouldn't normally be booking a Thursday night party in October, so I would be good to be there if I can get just my travel/parking covered. Fridays, though, are the 3rd most popular day of the week to have a party, but if I could get my minimum event booking time (2.0 hours) covered I would be happy to be there! My minimum time for a corporate event is $250 + travel, so if you've got the budget for $350 for the Thursday and Friday that would be awesome and I am there! And of course, straight PPP on Saturday/Sunday.

Let me know if that works for you and we'll go from there!

And what I got back:

Works for me! Send me an invoice for the amount below when you get a chance.

Yay!

Thanks for the advice, guys. One more question: on the invoice, what would you list this as? Minimum time honourarium?
Kristal
Kristal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum