Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I paint my face with acrylic because I want to...

+11
flopsietheclown
Lady Jayde
mamakatrien
a face painting mom
Luvs to paint
Manabanana
rthling
fesspenter
Perry Noia
Facepainting by Tina
AvidLebon
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should I paint my face with acrylic because I want to... Empty Should I paint my face with acrylic because I want to...

Post by AvidLebon Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:16 pm

...make an informational poster about the dangers and problems of it? Partially as an experiment since I've never painted myself in acrylic, I only know what I've read from others. I saw a chat log of conversations but not yet a clear simple format that is quick and easy to understand. I'm probably missing a lot of information, which is why I'm posting here in the forum about it.

I plan to paint one side of my face in a design with my professional TAG/Snaz paints, and the other side in acrylic. When I'm done with it I plan to take a picture (or pictures depending on the results) layer text over it, the pros of professional paint on the pro paint side, the cons under the photo side with acrylic. Then anyone who wants to throw it in at the end of their book, put it on their sign, or put it on their site can use it. I didn't know about this before I started face painting professionally, and maybe it will help get the word out better, especially for parents with kids. Last thing any of us want is kids hurt by someone who doesn't know better, then become afraid of something that should be safe and fun! I've also got a few Halloween forums I want to post it on, I'll bet a lot of people paint themselves not knowing better.

I haven't decided which design yet, probably rainbow tiger since that has a lot of colors and has greater potential for finding problems. I'll be at home so if things go horribly wrong I can wash it off right away- though most people I imagine would be out somewhere public and not have that option.

This should be an interesting experiment. My biggest worry is getting it matted in my eyebrows and losing some- any tips if I foul myself up there? Also, any suggestions on what I should include on the poster? Should be 8x11 when I'm done, so not too big or text heavy, I just want to find a few key points to hit on, not write a wall of text. (I have a bad habit of that unless I'm specifically trying to avoid that)

Right now I'm thinking

Pros:
Non-Toxic, Hypo-Allergenic, FDA Compliant
Easily Washes Off
Breaths with Skin
Bright Colors

Cons:
Non-Toxic but not Hypo-Allergenic or FDA Compliant. (Shellac is non-toxic, but you wouldn't Shellac your kid, would you?)
Most manufacturers recommend to NOT paint skin with their product.
ASTM approval is NOT the same as "FDA compliant"; It is simply a testing method to see if a product is used AS INTENDED, is it safe- which for these paints does not include use on skin.

-experiment will help me figure out contrast between colors/brightness/skin breath-ability and how difficult it is to wash off

Then suggest brands like Snazaroo, Tag, & Wolfe and to generally stay away from liquid brands. (There is one I heard of that is safe and used on hospital kids, but the general public won't memorize a list, so the quick easy way is to avoid liquid brands I think.) And at the very end a link to http://www.snazaroo.us/safety.htm if they want more information.

Edit: Part of my inspiration to do this was seeing this Zeebra http://www.flickr.com/photos/like_shipwrecks/2455435512/ YOWCH that looks painful D:
AvidLebon
AvidLebon

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-09-16

http://avidlebon.deviantart.com/gallery/

Back to top Go down

Should I paint my face with acrylic because I want to... Empty Re: Should I paint my face with acrylic because I want to...

Post by Facepainting by Tina Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:11 pm

I would add something in the cons area that our skin is the largest organ in the human body and anything/everything applied to the skin is absorbed into our system! Maybe not that wordy though lol
Facepainting by Tina
Facepainting by Tina

Number of posts : 447
Registration date : 2012-09-12

http://www.tinassugarshack.com

Back to top Go down

Should I paint my face with acrylic because I want to... Empty Re: Should I paint my face with acrylic because I want to...

Post by Perry Noia Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:48 pm

someone on here did it last year and I think said that we could use the pictures she took?? do a search, you might find it... it was a really long thread I think
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:58 pm

I would apply some heavy duty moisturizer to my skin and eyebrows before applying the acrylic, to limit the hair-pulling and limit the exposure to the toxins in the acrylics.
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by rthling Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:09 pm

Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea?
I wouldn't eat something dangerous just to show that it isn't safe.
I wouldn't jump off a bridge, dive into the shallow end of the pool, hop into a bull pen, or tease an angry dog just to make a point.

But I tend toward the conservative...
rthling
rthling

Number of posts : 1830
Registration date : 2010-10-05

http://www.fancyfacesbydiane.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Manabanana Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:17 pm

rthling......i'm with you
Manabanana
Manabanana

Number of posts : 1208
Registration date : 2011-07-01

http://www.manaartonline.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:18 pm

I believe rthling is right, too!
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:20 pm

I agree with rthling.
Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:56 pm

I am not sure I would do this to make a point, it kind of says it is not that bad if you would do it to yourself. There are plenty of pictures of acrylic paints on people that you could do this same thing side by side. Get a picture of the good paint next to the bad...and one of a kids face after it comes off. There is another thread with some of those too. I like your points though, and it would be just as effective to use pictures of the people who have already been victims than to take a chance that you could harm yourself!
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2011-07-13

http://www.afacepaintingmom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AvidLebon Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:11 pm

If there are existing pictures I can get permission to use that'd be great. A picture is worth a thousand words, which is the whole point- but I don't want to do picture theft. I've been going through the threads on my way to work, haven't run across the other one mentioned before yet, but if anyone HAS pictures or knows someone who can give me their permission to use it, that'd be great.

Has anyone ever seen the documentary "Supersize me"? Maybe I could just do some on one hand and compare it to the other- then it's not on my face, near my eyebrows or eyes or mouth, and people would still get the idea.
AvidLebon
AvidLebon

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:15 pm

there has been permission to use these...

Should I paint my face with acrylic because I want to... Acryli10
Should I paint my face with acrylic because I want to... Acryli11
Should I paint my face with acrylic because I want to... Acryil10
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Back to top Go down

Post by mamakatrien Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:11 am

Oh my, I never truly realised untill I saw these pictures that you actually mean ACRYLIC paint when you talk about acrylic paint ( I know it does not make sense). I somehow translated that in my head to waterbased gouache.
But this is truly shocking!! I would most definitely not paint anyone with those, not even to prove a point.
I would rather make a poster just with pictures of things like a can of spray paint, a permanent marker, a big can of laquer and a dripping brush...and say, "would you make your face up using these?" then make sure no one touches the face of a child with acrylic paints.. and use the pictures above!
mamakatrien
mamakatrien

Number of posts : 486
Registration date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:11 am

I applaud your willingness to do this. I would suggest that you do a patch test before doing it though to make sure your not one of the percentage of the populace who are violently sensitive the acrylics. I could never do this because I an VERY allergic and even when tole painting, my hands start to itch with prolong direct skin exposure. I think what you're planning, if done well, could be very impactful and if you share it with the community, it could elliviate the need for anyone else to "Take one for the team".

While it's never favorable to assume such risks, a lot has been gained on the back of risks that have been taken in history. Human beans (yes...I mean beans) are often visual creatures and seeing the human element in a PSA drives the message home a LOT harder than an arbitray picture of a spray can or Apple Barrel bottle with a line through it. In a society where were always being told this and that are bad for you, sometimes a shock valued visual is necessary. Some people are of the mind that "a little bad won't hurt", but are moved to action when the SEE what that "little bad" looks like. Let's face it, there are some parents out there who are more turned off by the possibility that the paint will crack and look horrendous than they are about trace chemicals in acrylic paints, so seeing a cracked and peeling ugly painting next to a painting that moves with the skin will be enough to get their attention. I agree that we have to be careful about using others photos, especially for a project like this that will be openly shared with an entire community. I also agree that you need a compare and contrast and not just horrific rash pictures to reach some people. You have to reach both the conscientious parent AND the parent who has let their kids be painted with acrylics in the past without issue.

I'd envision something like a tiger where you could have the picture of you in full roar taken. That particular facial expression would begin to crack the acrylic paint while the Tag side would stay beautfully intact. I would then highlight the pros and cons, just few common sense ones that aren't too technical for the laymen and I'd avoid any type of blatent scare tactics.

Acrylic Paint Pros:
Inexpensive material costs
Inexpensive face painting
hundreds of ready mixed colors

Acrylic Paint Cons:
Manufactured for non breathing canvases in a non sterile environment
Cracks, peels and often wears with discomfort
Formulated with substances that aren't good for human consumption (formaldehyde, ect.)
Higher instance of skin irritation and developing chemical sensitivities.

Professional Face Paint Pros:
Vibrant colors that move with the face
Low possibility for allergic reaction
Comfortable wear
Unlimited design possibilities
Manufactured specifically for the skin in a cosmetic steril environment

Professional Face Paint Cons:
Higher Material Costs
Higher costs for face painting
Larger, continuous learning curve as new designs and techniques are explored
The ability to suspend disbelief and BECOME your art...which ineveitable leads to...
Temper tantrums at bathtime.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by flopsietheclown Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:53 pm

I sometimes ask a parent if they would paint their child's face with nail polish. That helps to get the point across. We as parents are so careful about what our children eat. It really is unbelievable that at nearly every festival I go to locally, there is someone painting with craft acrylic paints. Most parents don't think to ask what kind of paint is being used.
flopsietheclown
flopsietheclown

Number of posts : 449
Registration date : 2010-11-10

http://www.ClassicClown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AvidLebon Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Thank you Lady Jayde, I think Friday I'm going to do a test on the backside of my hands and see how that goes before anything else. You made a lot of good suggestions that are really going to help.

Thank you for the pictures AFP Mom. GEEZE those look really awful D:

OH good point Flopsie! Nail polish IS cosmetic, non-toxic, yet completely not safe to be used in the way most cosmetics are (i.e. on your face). That's one of the points I want to drive home, non-toxic and otherwise safe products doesn't mean safe outside it's normal use.

I appreciate the concern rthling. You are probably right about it being a bad idea for my own person. I'm a bit influenced by the "Super Size Me" doc- and while that did terrible things to his body, it made a BIG difference in a good way. I wouldn't ask anyone else to do it to themselves though, of course.
AvidLebon
AvidLebon

Back to top Go down

Post by IamGinaW Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Here's the one Shannon was talking about. I forget who did it but she did give everyone permission to share it:

Should I paint my face with acrylic because I want to... 183079_166912623359977_7151504_n
IamGinaW
IamGinaW

Number of posts : 1626
Registration date : 2010-09-15

http://facesbygina.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 pm

Wow Gina, that just about says it all. Put that next to a picture of a skull painted in face paints, then list the pros and cons. Nobody else has to edure what this person must have to get that junk off.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:20 pm

I don't think that having a side by side of 2 different people would have the same visual impact, but I also agree that nobody should have to have the experience of removing it.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Luvs to paint Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:49 pm

I have been at events where there were parents who were volunteering to face paint (using acrylics) and who were unaware that using those acrylics were potentially unsafe. they welcomed the information i gave them.. i have also come across acrylic face painters, (and festival organizers) who told me to "mind my own business" -- in not so nice terms.
Luvs to paint
Luvs to paint

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:20 pm

You can cover your eye brown with 3M porous medical tape and then liquid latex on top of that. Alternately, you can cover your eyebrow with multiple thin layers of a school-type glue stick, allowing each layer to dry in-between.

Patch test is a good idea. Most of the reactions that occur in artists are chronic exposure. You can use isopropyl myristate to remove it.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:32 pm

You know, just posting the removal instructions would be effective. While it would be more effective at showing people how much nicer face paint is if it were side by side on the same face...if the first con under a different face were: REMOVE With isopropyl myristate and the pro for face paint was REMOVE with mild soap and water or baby shampoo...that kind of says everything most parents should need to know.
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:05 pm

@A face painting mom, IPM is commonly used by both beauty makep artists as well as professional face artists in the special effects community. It's an alcohol combined with a natural fatty acid which is good for taking off stubborn makeup without overly drying one's face. Many people probably have some in their drug cabinet to remove their mascara.

It's used as an emollient in many skin creams. Face painters don't know about it because most don't know anything about the chemistry of makeup or special effects community.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Back to top Go down

Post by a face painting mom Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:15 pm

But it sounds so nasty! affraid I know nothing about chemistry,
a face painting mom
a face painting mom

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:29 pm

So does methyl paraben and sodium benzoate, but those are the preservatives in Snazaroo and Wolfe/DFx/TAG products, respectively and we don't try to scare parents with that.....sheesh.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Back to top Go down

Post by Kat's FacesForFun Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:29 am

Alrighty. Acrylics look crappy and they aren't safe for the skin. I would never use them on kids. But, good grief, I used to paint myself with my mom's acrylics in high school all the time for the football games. (a cheek art or whatever). That stuff actually comes off a lot easier than real face paint. It basically FLAKES off. A little water, and it rubs right off. Please don't lynch me. I understand the potential dangers, but we're blowing this a little out of proportion. Once again... I would never use it on kids. I don't think you need to go to "extreme" measures to protect your skin.
Kat's FacesForFun
Kat's FacesForFun

Number of posts : 1015
Registration date : 2011-09-12

http://www.facepaintingkat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next