Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acrylic body paint?

+7
l!zzie
oishari
Wildcatfin
JBM
wmeventservices
AshleyMarie727
Fabtastic
11 posters

Go down

Acrylic body paint? Empty Acrylic body paint?

Post by Fabtastic Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:43 am

I was excited to see this article in my local paper:
http://www.lfpress.com/news/london/2011/02/27/17431026.html

But then I noticed she uses "watercolours that wash off or acrylic body paint that can be removed with baby oil". I didn't know there was such a thing as acrylic body paint, so I went looking and I see that MAC makes acrylic paints meant for use on the body. Does anyone know anything about these? Sorry if this has already been discussed, I couldn't find any threads about it.
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Acrylic body paint? Empty Re: Acrylic body paint?

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:38 am

MAC Acrylics aren't "real" acrylics - just an unfortunate choice of name.

Tim Gratton Body Paint made by Matisse Derivan in Australia (is available in Canada BTW) is acrylic and the black is amazing for body painting. It washes off in the shower. You can see it in the photos here http://www.shannonfennell.com/bodypaint2.html

I don't suggest using it on children though... and certainly not on the face - it stinks and tastes horrid!!

Back to top Go down

Post by AshleyMarie727 Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:28 am

Aww Congrats!
AshleyMarie727
AshleyMarie727

Number of posts : 525
Registration date : 2010-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:21 pm

That black is amazing!
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabtastic Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:37 pm

Thanks AshleyMarie, but the article isn't about me, I was just excited because I have never seen any media coverage about belly painting before. I think it is great that it is being brought to the public's attention that such a thing exists!

Thanks Shannon for your quick and, as always, informative response! That black does have fantastic coverage! Very Happy I see now that someone commented on the article about not using acrylics on the skin, and the artist commented back that she does use MAC Cosmetic Acrylic Body Paints... which if they are not truly acrylic, are indeed badly named. I'm glad she took the opportunity to clarify the types of paint she uses. It is unfortunate that the way the reporter phrased the description of the paints doesn't make it really clear that she is using skin-safe materials. I just watched the video, and she does very clearly say in there what she uses, it just didn't get into the print article.

So has anyone here used the MAC paints?
Fabtastic
Fabtastic

Number of posts : 639
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.fabtastic.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:27 pm

I plan to... at some point! They are fairly pricey though and come in one ounce bottle so it won't go very far!

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:39 am

I was going to put up a post about Derivan because the painters at the festival I was doing henna at on the weekend were using it and it said body paint but looked acrylic and the kids walking around did look like they'd been attacked by craft paint..
JBM
JBM

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2010-10-18

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Henna-by-Riana/149537191765171?ref

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:48 am

The Tim Gratton/Matisse Derivan is, IMO, not great face paint... and the black is actually the ONLY colour I use. I was NOT impressed with the other colours I tried (and the white has a bad rep for being glop.)

It thins with water so you can take a gloppy jar and thin it 50/50 to get a working consistency BUT... it can look like craft paint if used by people who don't bother to read the instructions. It is acrylic and when it thickens it handles just like acrylics out of a tube.

When I use it in body painting I thin it out - generally 50/50 with water, sometimes more and apply with a wide flat brush. All those photos of mine show it applied that way.

Back to top Go down

Post by JBM Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:08 pm

I loved those photos. I have a long term goal to get into painting promo girls and those pics were really inspiring and I'd definitely look at getting the black for that. I was annoyed on the weekend cause they only let me do henna not FP and then the painters were painting with glop Evil or Very Mad
JBM
JBM

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2010-10-18

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Henna-by-Riana/149537191765171?ref

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcatfin Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:57 pm

I agree with Shannon;
I was given TG paint/ some Derivan in Hong Kong. It stinks, feels nasty and some of it states it can 'only be used on the skin if painted over a barrier cream'.

Errr, so it ISN'T safe for skin then!

Tends to crack too and wasn't comfy on - in general, steer clear of acrylics.

Far nicer, comfier stuff out there that is easier to use and gives better effects and isn't acrylic - AND just takes soap to wash off.

Cat x
Wildcatfin
Wildcatfin

Number of posts : 502
Location : Mainly being a fairy face painter at Bewilderwood in UK
Registration date : 2008-12-16

http://www.bodypaintingbycat.com

Back to top Go down

Acrylic body paint? Empty :))

Post by oishari Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:50 pm

Heyy friend! since its made by MAC i guess its probably good.

What I know is, even ordinary acrylic paint is safe on the body. It is water based so with some scrubbing, it comes off. the problem is, it can chip off in places that rub.

Here's our full account of using acrylic paint. We used Reeves.

oishari.blogspot.com /2012/12/ ordinary-day-noh. html

(delete spaces to form link)

oishari

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post by l!zzie Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:26 am

Ordinary acrylics paint is not for use on the body!!
They're not made for that kind of use, and can give very nasty reactions to skin!
l!zzie
l!zzie

Number of posts : 2256
Registration date : 2011-09-28

http://www.detiskwant.nl

Back to top Go down

Post by fesspenter Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:55 am

Ordinary acrylic craft paint is NOT approved for use on skin. The levels of pthalates, cadmium, lead, and other metals and contaminants can cause damage to internal organs. Acrylics are NOT meant to be painted upon a child's skin near their mucous membranes.

oishari, there are a few threads on this column regarding this very topic. Please feel free to read and follow some of the threads before you comment further. I am really, really tired of trying to educate the face painters at local street festivals who use acrylic craft paint on children. I would not care so much about not being hired, if the people who were doing the face painting were following basic hygiene standards and using FDA compliant face paint. My insurance would be null and void if I use anything other than paint that is approved for use on the face.
oishari, what area do you live in?
fesspenter
fesspenter

Number of posts : 3352
Registration date : 2011-04-29

http://www.wix.com/lisaleyes/facepaintbylisaleyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:05 am

Oishari - I think you've hit a sore point here. So many people misunderstand what the words "non toxic" on a product mean. They don't mean "you can use this for any purpose without harm"! They just mean "when used for the purpose intended, these products are unlikely to cause harm". Acrylic paint is not intended for use on the skin, and is NOT safe.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it: if you're going to be a face painter, you have to use professional-quality, safe, reputable face paints. There really aren't any short cuts on that point. Face paints are a cosmetic item - "paint" is, in many respects, a misnomer.

Welcome to the forum. Read around, enjoy the banter, learn as we all have. And please - don't spread the misinformation, however well-meaning, that acrylic paint (or any paint not specifically produced for cosmetic application) is safe for skin.
Kammy
Kammy

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2012-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:03 am

oishari wrote:What I know is, even ordinary acrylic paint is safe on the body. It is water based so with some scrubbing, it comes off. the problem is, it can chip off in places that rub.
Some common water-based toxins/irritants include:

-detergents
-acids
-solvents
-industrial lubricants

That a product is water-based doesn't mean it's safe.
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGildedCat Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:22 pm

The problem with acrylics is not that they're acrylic. We use acrylic all over the place in face painting from the gems we use to the pros-aide and other glitter tattoo glues - those are all acrylic based. The big problem is if toxic pigments are suspended in the acrylic base (heavy metals, etc). Unless OiShari has proof that the pigments she uses in the acrylics are skin safe, then it's bunk to say that they're safe. If they are skin-safe pigments, then it's not any more dangerous than PAX. The FDA is an American organization, not a universal one. FDA approval or compliance here doesn't mean it's judged to be safe or unsafe in other countries. Some of we consider safe (approved) here is outright banned and called unsafe in other countries. This makes it harder to judge what is actually safe.
Note, I'm not promoting the use acrylics, just redirecting the understanding of what is potentially dangerous about it.

Oi Shari's blogspot indicates she's based in the Philippines.
TheGildedCat
TheGildedCat

Number of posts : 1577
Registration date : 2010-09-06

http://www.thegildedcat.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fantasiefacies Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:28 am

I agree, never use acrylic paints, but if you like the feel of acrylic, you can buy liquid airbrush makeup and leave the container open overnight so some of the liquid is evaporated. then it is a creamy "acrylic" consistency and not a watery consistency. if it gets a little too dry, just mix a little water back in to your desired consistency.
fantasiefacies
fantasiefacies

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2012-04-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Kammy Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:05 pm

No problem here with anything that's from a reputable company and states that it IS safe for face and body use. The implication here (especially given the flaking, etc.) was that she used craft acrylics, and that's a whole different ball game.
Kammy
Kammy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down