Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

favorite glitters and shimmer powders?

+6
Metina
reneec808
modernmagik
Debi's Doodles
LoneWolf
aprilmoonflower
10 posters

Go down

favorite glitters and shimmer powders? Empty favorite glitters and shimmer powders?

Post by aprilmoonflower Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:14 am

I have some Snaz glitter gel and some other kind in a little bottle..I think it's Mama clown in a poofer bottle IIRC.

I would like to get some more colors (or a set).

What are your favorite glitters? Also what about shimmer powders? Are those to be used over paint or do they give good color/coverage on their own? What are your favorite shimmer powder brands and colors?
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Number of posts : 713
Registration date : 2009-08-28

Back to top Go down

favorite glitters and shimmer powders? Empty Re: favorite glitters and shimmer powders?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:21 am

Honestly.. doesn't matter in the slightest to me.

Glitter is glitter - just have to use opaque for glitter tatts so that they show up.

Glitter powders - doesn't matter either but the Snaz "GlitterArti" are about the cheapest and work well... I have others too and it really doesn't matter that much which one is used.

Back to top Go down

favorite glitters and shimmer powders? Empty Re: favorite glitters and shimmer powders?

Post by aprilmoonflower Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:23 am

oh good. the glitter I have from Snaz is gel. I am not really liking it though. I think the "dry" ones are better. Just wanted to check though! Wink
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:28 am

Ah... the gels. Yes, there is a difference there... and the Snaz Gels are, well, not all that easy to use. They are very "wet" and large flakes ... I have used them, but not over paint, and usually not on face painting jobs... I like to spackle them on with a palette knife and get a really cool solid glitter/metalic effect.

I like Liquid Bling from Amerikan Body Art for glitter GELS... and like using the applicator with the metal tip attached for control.

Back to top Go down

Post by aprilmoonflower Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:37 am

thanks for the suggestions Shannon! I should have been more clear about what I have here! I do think I like the powder better. I have been using a brush to apply the glitter (gel). It's ok but not anything to write home about! I find it a bit of a pain to work with though! You're right the flakes do seem very large! Almost like craft glitter! I like the finely ground mica based types much better I think!
aprilmoonflower
aprilmoonflower

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:47 am

Transparent glitter can be beautiful for glitter tattoos as well. I often use them in the bottom of a teardrop, with opaque at the top, for a graduated effect.

American body art for dots and lines and Graftobian glitterglam liquid skin sparkle for on the lips (stays on longer than just colour) are great for facepainting =)
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by Debi's Doodles Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:59 am

I have some mama clown glitter too that I put in the poofers. I use the "fairy dust" white the most. Works great on everything.
I also have some red for lady bugs and hearts, some green if I feel like putting some on flower petals.

I have two shimmer powders, pink and gold. I REALLY like the powders....so those are my favorites. Seems like most of the regular glitter will fall off eventually from the design (cause I've seen painted kids later in the day) but the shimmer glitter will stay on alll day. And just looks beautiful in the sun!
I like to puff the girls cheeks with the pink before I do a princess crown and other girly designs.
When I put the base coat on I dust over the face before I do the line work. Gold looks great like on a tiger design.
Debi's Doodles
Debi's Doodles

Number of posts : 340
Registration date : 2008-09-25

http://www.debisdoodles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by modernmagik Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:07 pm

I use my shimmer powders in a brush dispenser, and my glitters in poof bottles.

modernmagik

Number of posts : 587
Registration date : 2009-09-28

http://www.wemakefaces.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by reneec808 Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:03 pm

ummm..what does this brush dispenser look like..do you have a photo?
reneec808
reneec808

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by modernmagik Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:08 pm

http://www.wemakefaces.com/shopshimmerpowders.html
Scroll about half way down the page.

modernmagik

Back to top Go down

Post by reneec808 Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:24 pm

Thank you, Never used a brush dispenser.I'm giving it a try..
reneec808
reneec808

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Metina Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Do you have a video of how the prefilled applicators work? I am really intrigued. I think I have seen this on clear powder that just makes you skin shimmer, what does it look like on more opaque powders.

Also, how does these compare with the Snaz? I had some and liked them, but thought the were a bit more sheer than I thought they would be and I was so paranoid about making a mess, I traded them. Are yours more opaque?
Metina
Metina
Admin

Number of posts : 3708
Registration date : 2008-09-04

http://www.facepaintforumshop.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:29 am

Metina, I have a couple of applicators like these for my mineral powders (my makeup, not fp). All I do is shake or tap the reseviour end until the powder starts to work it's way down into the bristles and then I powder my face. There's not a lot of control for intricate placement, but if you want to get all over or large area coverage it's great. I suppose that if you wanted to just but some shimmer around the eyes before doing lne work, it would work, but the brush is blush brush size so again, not good for intricate work.
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by modernmagik Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:58 am

There is a brush on one end that is for coverage ranging from just the eyelids or the cheek to the whole face or body.....not for tiny detail. If you want more control, you do your more specifically placed applications with a smoothie blender (which fits perfectly over the opening if you remove the cap and use the brush as a loose shimmer container....only because it is a long brush, it is easier to hold than a small jar of shimmer....so you are much less likely to have a spill).

modernmagik

Back to top Go down

Post by vegas mom Wed May 09, 2012 5:41 pm

About glitter. Maybe there's a thread already. I have some tulip glitter says cosmetic grade blah blah. Don't use near eyes or lips. I have some mama clown which a lot use so I'm guessing it's safe for lips. Eyes not sure. I also picked up some other glitter for tattoos, can't find a safety sheet on the brand yet. Suzy sparkles glitter safe for lips and around eyes I'm am guessing so because of all the fab reviews. What do you look for when buying glitters for tats and FP?
vegas mom
vegas mom

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2011-11-06

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Wand-Face-Painting-and-Glit

Back to top Go down

Post by SmileyBee Faces Wed May 09, 2012 5:46 pm

I seen some snazaroo glitter. It looks like get of some sort how do you use that?
SmileyBee Faces
SmileyBee Faces

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2012-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Smiletime Wed May 09, 2012 7:46 pm

I found a thread on here a while back about making your own pressed powders and I went ahead and tried it. It was really easy to do and alot cheaper than buying them. As far as glitter, I actually find mine at Claire's. My daughter shops in there all the time anyway and I always look for glitters in the clearance area.
Smiletime
Smiletime

Number of posts : 257
Registration date : 2011-07-21

http://www.depacesfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down