Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help! What's the best way to land new jobs?

5 posters

Go down

Help!  What's the best way to land new jobs? Empty Help! What's the best way to land new jobs?

Post by FunnyFacesCC Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:10 pm

Hello, I'm fairly new to FP, but I'm picking things up quickly. I think FP is an untapped market in my city, and everywhere I go I see opportunities....I just don't know how to approach them to actually receive money. Oh sure, I volunteer at a local bookstore's children's story time to raise donations to buy books for kids without. I'm happy to do it, a good cause, practice on live canvas, and some publicity, but right now it doesn't pay me.

I know of a ton of churches with Easter Egg hunts, but how do I approach them and ask them to be payed? If a church is using an egg hunt as an outreach to the community they typically try to keep it free for those attending, don't think a PPF or even a tip jar would go over well, and I worry that they would rather have a couple of teens from the youth group slap some paint on some kids than pay for me. I definitely don't want to volunteer for 300 faces....

I also have read on the forum that some people have reoccurring gigs at restaurants to paint faces while families wait to be seated. Do restaurants seem willing? Do you have to obligate yourself to every Friday and Saturday night?

On the positive side, I did approach a locally owned Irish pub and was allowed to FP there on St. Patty's~ huge success!

Any advise or experience from my fellow face-painters is appreciated....I love this stuff and I'd like to expand my business...or at least start by paying off the cost of my supplies!
FunnyFacesCC
FunnyFacesCC

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2012-03-11

http://funnyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Help!  What's the best way to land new jobs? Empty Re: Help! What's the best way to land new jobs?

Post by creativefunfaces Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:49 pm

There are some videos on youtube that can help. I think getting yourself a portfolio, website, and then business cards to hand out would be a good start, if you havent already done so. I think what your doing so far sound good. Put out some business cards at your events and wait for some call backs.
Good luck
sunny Amy sunny
creativefunfaces
creativefunfaces

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2012-01-24

http://creativefunfaces.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Help!  What's the best way to land new jobs? Empty Re: Help! What's the best way to land new jobs?

Post by Guest Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:18 pm

I've got a lot of information on my blog about marketing. And there are lots of threads on here about various aspects of marketing under the Business category heading. Check it out as there is a ton of good information and advice there.

Back to top Go down

Post by barbb919 Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:52 pm

I have 2 restraunt gigs on tuesday's and thursdays...every tuesday at Fazolis from Sept till the end of may,,then they go to monday nights
from june to sept..i paint at rudys drive in on every tuesday and every 2nd, 3rd, and 4th thrusday..so I paint almost 3 nights a week during the summer months..rudys is a drive in so they close during the winter...would be hard for the car hops to skate in the snow lol..I also have a lot of gigs i do every year the same people..and seam to be picking up new ones every year..it has taken me 2.5 years to get where Im at..and I still really don't advertise..but things are really looking up this year..but i pass out cards and flyers everytime I paint...and I have a website and face book page..so keep up the good work..it will happen...I will have to say the restraunt gigs have helped me get noticed..
barbb919
barbb919

Number of posts : 2109
Registration date : 2010-03-23

http://tappysfacepainting.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FunnyFacesCC Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:56 am

Thanks for the great advice, some paid events are rolling in...and I have some volunteer stuff lined up, too. I've been practicing a lot and I'm impressing the socks off my clients and their guests so that in it's self is huge for marketing. I'm volunteering at a private preschool's easter egg hunt tmrw morning (printing out fliers to attach to my business cards as we speak), a paid gig at nursing home/family easter party sat, and my volunteer work at the local bookstore on Sunday. They expect to be slow so I'm going to spend some time getting to know the staff and hopefully painting some elaborate designs to photograph. They've all wanted to get painted but there's been too many kids in line.

Then on top of two (possibly 3) paid events the following weekend, I'm doing a PPF at community garage sale in a very affluent area, so more great advertising. I've already ordered a bunch of good looking yard signs to point the way and help look professional.

I think my big thing now is rounding up kids to paint and photograph for great website/portfolio pics. I don't have the time to at my events, plus I feel kind of tacky asking when I'm being paid to paint....but I think I may have to make some exceptions if I can't get some kids soon. You would think it would be easy to round up some faces but kids these days (and their parents) stay so busy!

I appreciate all of the great advice. I really enjoy the art behind facepainting and I hope to be able to afford what I'm doing...I keep finding supplies I want to add to my collection and never seem to make a dent on my debt...plus, I've been spending way too much on sushi lately, really should put that money towards my credit cards but I love that stuff!
FunnyFacesCC
FunnyFacesCC

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2012-03-11

http://funnyfacesfacepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:34 am

By Shannon Fennell's book. She has tons of great info in it.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by JJJJJ Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:54 am

Definitely paint up a good portfolio. And be sure to get photo releases signed on paper when you do. List all the ways in which you might use the photos, so parents know what they're signing. If you plan to use them for display at festivals, online on a website, on printed literature, etc.

Once you find a few kids to paint, it becomes a dream. I have a boy and a girl (two different families I'm friends with) who are old enough and enjoy it (that's important, for you and for them) to sit for a few designs in a row. We make "face painting dates" and we're all thrilled.

When you photograph them, take about 10-15 shots (not kidding). Then you'll be sure to get one that really shines, capturing your artwork in combination with their great smile. And someone on here suggested using a black foam board behind the kids when you take the shot. It really makes the picture turn out pretty professional.

Good luck and have fun!

Joan

JJJJJ

Number of posts : 1053
Registration date : 2011-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down