Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New find (new for me) at the store today!

4 posters

Go down

New find (new for me) at the store today! Empty New find (new for me) at the store today!

Post by Lady Jayde Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:20 pm

I went into Michael's today to price sable brushes and came across the cutest little containers for mini-rainbows. The only drawback is that they are round. The containers are clear, lidded, and about 1/2-3/4 inch in height. They come 9 to a package and the package is actually a 9 section tray with a lid. It's so cute! I think I'm going to go back and get them with my next coupon ($4.99 b/f 40% coupon) and take a picture of them. Oh, they are about 1.5 inches in diameter. I wish they'd make them square, but I have some mini round ones I made and I can make it work.

What do you think?
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

New find (new for me) at the store today! Empty Re: New find (new for me) at the store today!

Post by Guest Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:59 pm

I tend to be careful with "clear" plastic craft containers. They sometimes aren't meant for liquid and the plastic leaches stuff into the paint... and some of the ones they sell for beading and storage are actually quite brittle. AND... Snaz paints eat some types of plastic.. is it styrene or polystyrene? I can't remember which.

Back to top Go down

New find (new for me) at the store today! Empty Re: New find (new for me) at the store today!

Post by JBax Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:21 am

Shannon, is there a way to tell??? You had "clear" in quotes... like not really clear?

I found a set of 18 clear hard plastic round containers, came with a foam insert to separate them, very cool. It was sold in the isle with jewler's supplies... display boxes and such. I had intended on using for making split and rainbow cakes. Any thoughts?
JBax
JBax

Number of posts : 1890
Registration date : 2009-08-30

http://www.eyecandyarts.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Jayde Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:26 am

I'm thinking that those are similar to the ones that I plan to use for the mini palettes I'm making for my church (only I'm getting the 12 jar one and they fit snuggly so there's no need for foam.

Shannon, I went back and looked at the cases, the appear to be made material similar to what my rainbow cakes and DFX are made of. They are thick and crystal clear. How do I find out if they are on the face paint food chain?
Lady Jayde
Lady Jayde

Number of posts : 1844
Registration date : 2009-08-10

http://www.imaginastic-facepainting.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:15 am

Well, no responses for us, Jayde. I made 3 split cakes when I first got those containers about a month ago, and they are fine so far, but I used DFX to make them. And the hard plastic is like what my paint came in, and it's similar to the Snaz lids, so I bet it's okay. I also got a free split cake (home made) with a recent order from the gal I buy from, and the containter was made of the same hard, clear plastic. I'm guessing the softer plastic that's cloudy is edible to to the Snaz, but who knows? Try it for your event, it will definitely last the day. If you need to, you can re-consolidate your colors, but I bet they'll be fine. scratch
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:24 pm

I've been working the early shift at the bakery AND I've got a killer cold so haven't been on the computer much in the last day or so... (I'm drugged and wearing gloves at work!!)

I've got some of those crystal clear plastic containers for my powders, but with use the edges start to crack a bit... the plastic is brittle.

I honestly would have to go look up on the SNAZ FAQs about the plastic specifics...

Generally, as a rule of thumb, I will use containers that are either foodsafe (recycled plastic Cepacol lozenge containers or icing containers) or, meant for wet use, like the Paintsaver palette I used for my split cakes.

With that scare on the BHT in plastics a while back I tend to be a little paranoid... it's my personality. New find (new for me) at the store today! Icon_neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by JBax Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:39 am

Aw, sorry Shannon. I've been sick too. Day jobs are rewarding, but it's too bad we need them.

Thanks for the info. I'll do some research.
JBax
JBax

Back to top Go down

Post by Criss Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:19 am

Feel better
Criss
Criss

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by starponysmama Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:53 am

Hope you feel better Shannon! Great info for the plastics.......... I haven't done any split cakes yet but with a big FAMILY ORIENTED event at the end of the month - I was planning on making some! And YES - I wish I could quit my day job too! lol!
starponysmama
starponysmama

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2009-06-16

http://www.facepaintingtallahassee.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down