Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS))

5 posters

Go down

Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS)) Empty Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS))

Post by Rae Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:47 am

Had a request to do a Darth Maul!! Cool. Would love to have a go, but never worked with prosthetics before. If you saw my Dr Evil in the challenge, that was my first hopeless attempt at a bald cap as well. I'm sure I could do alot better the next time, just have to get the right products in.

Not sure whether to have a go or just put him off. Anyone else done this before? Darth Maul actually has 10 horns!!! Would be a pretty costly exercise so not sure he'd go for it anyway but before I email him I thought I'd get some feedback (if any) from you guys first. Ta

Last edited by Rae on Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Rae
Rae

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2011-02-09

http://www.raesfx.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS)) Empty Re: Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS))

Post by PerfectlyPaintedFaces Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:01 pm

I've done one Darth Maul before (here)... luckily the guy was bald, so painting the top of his head was easy! Smile It was a quick design, under 10 mins, but doing a more detailed/prosthetic version would be a lot of fun. Not sure about working with bald caps though... good luck!
PerfectlyPaintedFaces
PerfectlyPaintedFaces

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2011-11-03

http://www.perfectlypaintedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS)) Empty Re: Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS))

Post by Pilareta Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Darth Maul is not a very popular design over here, but take a look at this thread. Hope it helps. Wink
http://www.facepaintforum.com/t1977-darth-maul?highlight=darth+maul
Pilareta
Pilareta

Number of posts : 1336
Registration date : 2011-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:59 am

Pilareta!! Thank you so much for finding that old thread!! Very helpful. In fact I went out today and got some clay. Busy trying to make horns tonight. Hope they turn out ok. I'll keep you post with how it all goes! Fun fun. : )
Rae
Rae

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilareta Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:13 am

Yes, please, post, post! Looking forward what comes out from your amazing talented mind! bounce
Pilareta
Pilareta

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:59 am

Well, no imagination needed on this one. Just got to replicate the image....JUST! yeah right.....I actually did my best to put him off, coz wasn't confident of getting it right....well out of my zone, but he's having none of it....so looks like I'll be doing it in a couple of weeks! You Tube here I come!!
Rae
Rae

Back to top Go down

Post by Ember Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:51 am

My boyfriend and I are both members of the 501st Legion (A Star Wars costuming organisation). One of his costumes is Darth Maul, which I paint him up as. He shaves his head, and has resin horns which we stick to his head with spirit gum.
I painted him up just a few weeks ago, using Snazaroo Red and Black. For the face I sponged red all over, then brushed the black details on over the top. It took about 2.5 hours (really need to work on speeding it up Neutral )
Here are some pics of the latest Maul paint job:

Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS)) Makeup2

Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS)) Makeup1

Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS)) Makeup5

Good luck!
I'd also love to see how your horns work out! Smile
Ember
Ember

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-11-05

http://bria-silivren.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilareta Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:55 am

Wow, Ember, that DArth MAul is awesome! cheers
Pilareta
Pilareta

Back to top Go down

Post by helena Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:56 am

That is one great Darth Maul!

Good luck in your creation Rae; can't wait to see pic's - I love the idea of using crayola clay too Smile
helena
helena

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2011-04-13

http://fancythatfacepainting.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by PerfectlyPaintedFaces Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:15 am

Here's my most recent Darth Maul... this one the first time my boyfriend has had his face painted. Laughing I'm so happy with how it turned out! And it only took 10 minutes!!

I used wolfe red & black.

Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS)) Logan_10
PerfectlyPaintedFaces
PerfectlyPaintedFaces

Number of posts : 882
Registration date : 2011-11-03

http://www.perfectlypaintedfaces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:25 am

So, here's the update I promised......

Firstly, I made the horns myself!! Phew, they turned out great! Made horns out of air drying clay, covered em in about 5 layers of latex, carefully peeled latex off the horns and there you have it. Stuffed them with cotton balls to keep their shape. Painted them up. Covered the bases with another layer of latex and good to go.

The first pic is a practise run with my hubs.

The second one is the gig : (( didn't go as good as my practise run. Had a room full of people watching me, which wasn't ideal for one already nervous painter who's trying to apply a bald cap etc. Spilt the spirit gum down his back at one stage when sticking the cap down : ( then when I cut the ear line and pulled down, both ends split!
: ( Tried to fix it up the best I could with latex and glue etc, and overall it looked pretty good. But one side did have two ridges that I just couldn't do anything with. So I just kept on going. Then when I did the paint job, I didn't leave enough space for those squiggly kinda things above his eyes, so I had to squish em in! : (((((

Not a very successful venture. Will not be in a rush to work with a bald cap again. A point to note....the cheaper thicker bald cap I used on my hubby, worked alot better than the more expensive thinner cap I used at the gig.

I guess if nothing else, I did learn some things out of this, but just wish I could have pulled it off better for him. I hope the costume and contacts helped to hide all the other flaws. Anyway, said I'd share, so there you go. Good with the bad.

Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS)) Img_0010.php?i=146&u=16175326]Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS)) Darth_10[/url]
Anyone done a proper Darth Maul with bald cap and horns?? ((UPDATE, WITH PICS)) P1050810

Rae
Rae

Back to top Go down

Post by Pilareta Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:34 am

I think you did a great work, Rae!! The horns look awesome on the first pic, love its "texture" and colour and , just to add a "but", the only thing I would change is the base, maybe too big Question . But the result is amazing (his kindly face doesn't help to sell the design though LOL)
Pilareta
Pilareta

Back to top Go down

Post by Rae Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks Pilareta, yes, I did actually trim the base of the horns for the actual day. I agree, they did look way to big and messy. They looked alot better after the trim. He does have a very kind face doesn't he. I'm also learning fast about how differently our faces are proportioned. Sounds daft, of course we're all different, but some people have real extreme proportions to others. LOL, I'm such a newb. Learning all the time : )
Rae
Rae

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down