Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Gig at Local Grand Opening

2 posters

Go down

New Gig at Local Grand Opening Empty New Gig at Local Grand Opening

Post by Heather Timmons Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:06 pm

I just had to share! Very Happy I was at the local Police Department getting finger printed (long story short...for an official background check to update to a 'State Wide' CMT license to make it an official LMT license...jic for future work).

So I was chatting with the finger printer lady and she asked me what kind of work I do now and I told her that currently I'm doing face painting, and I might get into some part time LMT work once the State License comes in. She told me about her experience about a 'horrible' face painter that painted this big 'ugly black blob' on her grand daughter's face and tried to call it a butterfly. I asked her if she was a professional and she said no, just some college student volunteer at some event. She said it was really hard to wash off, but more annoying was that she had hoped for some cute little colorful butterfly for her grand daughter who was only 6 at the time.

I told her she should always ask if the 'paints' being used are cosmetic quality and designed for face painting. Never let anyone use acrylics, markers, crayons...etc. I told her to insist on a professional as they usually use the right stuff and can paint 'small delicate butterflies' that are recognizable or at least ask to see example of their work! Anyway...so she asked for my information and as she also writes for a local paper...she wants to do a local story about me and Face Painting!

She also passed my info to the city event planner and they asked me to paint for the 'Grand Opening' of a new Town Hall and PD. She said it's a family friendly event with lots of kids and they are giving away free hot dogs, drinks, stuffed animals and the like. She said could they just pay me for 'cost of supplies' and I donate my time? They are also considering allowing me to set out a tip jar (this is a mute point to me actually) as I would donate any money earned to the town hall furbishing. I said I would definitely be interested in doing this! She told me I could pass out all the business cards and flyers I wanted! Very Happy This is a good deal for me. As I need more exposure and have not advertised yet!

It's funny how talking to the right person (by coincidence) can work out to some free marketing! Very Happy

I'm about to do a business card reprint and will put 'face paint care' directions on the back. I loved that idea...then if anyone has issues with the business cards, I can say I'm handing out the care instructions.

Very Happy
Heather Timmons
Heather Timmons

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2008-09-28

http://www.catsmeowinfo.com

Back to top Go down

New Gig at Local Grand Opening Empty Re: New Gig at Local Grand Opening

Post by Captain-Savvy Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:23 pm

That's awesome! Very Happy I love it when you're in the right place at the right time!

I wish you the best with the event! Be sure to let us hear how it goes ^_^

I'm doing two events next weekend... a Relay for Life (donating some of my earnings) and a Peanut Expo. Ought to get some free boiled peanuts while I'm there too Razz
Captain-Savvy
Captain-Savvy

Number of posts : 305
Registration date : 2009-03-10

http://captain-savvy.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:50 pm

Great!!

BTW... they should pay you your full rate. I work for the City here all the time and they pay full rate, no discount, and book additional painters.

Try to get your fee out of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Heather Timmons Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Very Happy Sounds good! I shall try!

We are a very small town here. I know they were saying that they didn't even have budget to buy desks yet for the new building...so I wasn't sure if I wanted to also try to get full rate. The 'building' is about the size of a two story house! Currently they are in a building that looks like a small trailer house! Very Happy We'll see!
Heather Timmons
Heather Timmons

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2008-09-28

http://www.catsmeowinfo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:11 pm

Oh... that's small!! LOL

Our City Hall is a four or five storey office building... Guess they have a bit more budget to work with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down