Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What do you do to market yourself??

+6
ChangingFaceDesigns
Daizy
Keesha
Perry Noia
Psalmbook
Fancy Faces with a Twist
10 posters

Go down

What do you do to market yourself?? Empty What do you do to market yourself??

Post by Fancy Faces with a Twist Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:43 am

As we all have our unique talents....I've heard some of you mention being great at the marketing aspect of the business.

Besides business cards I have done numerous free parties and events to "get our name out there". So I would LOVE to hear your approach Smile

What do you do to market yourself? What works great and what doesn't?
Fancy Faces with a Twist
Fancy Faces with a Twist

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2010-09-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fancy-Face-Face-Painting/119587161

Back to top Go down

What do you do to market yourself?? Empty Re: What do you do to market yourself??

Post by Psalmbook Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:18 am

Working a restaurant is great marketing. I get tons of business from it(I'm looking for a new one as mine is taking off the season Sad

Have your business cards & give them out like crazy, while shopping, at the doctors, dentists, kids school, after school activities, etc. I also put one with my tip when I'm at a restaurant(be a good tipper if you do this one Very Happy

Facebook updates regularly. Invite people to follow you on fb. This way they can know where you'll be face painting at public events. You'll start to get regulars that will follow you from event to event.

I'm on every free party website out there. Some people do well on kiji & craigs list.

Market yourself at events, give out lots of cards & have a sign up sheet for future clients.

Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

What do you do to market yourself?? Empty Re: What do you do to market yourself??

Post by Guest Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:27 am

I'm repeating myself (so what's new, right Rolling Eyes ) but I swear by direct mail - I mail postcards to all clients, past clients, targetted potential clients... I pick a target market for each mailing so I don't spend a fortune in postage and keep track of the responses.

If I get responses from a certain group I will keep sending them cards periodically, if I get no response I don't bother sending them anything for a few years.

And a response isn't just a call and booking... it is also someone calling me to say that XX tattoo parlour told them to call me about a temporary tattoo... that sort of referral is just as useful to me as a direct contact!

I use the postcards as reminder cards, birthday cards, thank you cards...etc.

It is my single biggest marketing method and works.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:19 pm

get your website and info listed on every single FREE directory site you can find... search "face painting" or "parties" or "entertainment" etc. with your city or area and see what listings come up... get your info on all of them.

kijiji is a free classified website that I always keep active ads on... it's kijiji.com in the US and kijiji.ca in Canada.

if you can find a parenting group/forum in your area, you can get your stuff on there too.. they are generally pretty cheap to advertise, or you can at least start networking with them and mention it to them "behind the scenes" if you don't want to pay for advertising directly.

This weekend is a perfect opportunity besides... put your card or a coupon or a colouring page in with the treats you give out this weekend!
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:48 pm

For Halloween, I made over 150 goodie bags with my postcard inside as well as treats and coupons for McDonalds.
I bought approx 10 McD's coupon books and tore them apart.
A big bag of cheesey Ritz (incase of allergies) , some candies, homemade chocolates, etc...and my postcard. Ties up in a Halloween bag from the Dollar Store....voila.
I am giving several people around the city and surrounding areas them to hand out for me. Get my name out to different areas all in one night.
At first I thought it was tacky...but, then I thought "if my daughter got one would I be upset?" No. Sometimes when people hand make goodies and I appreciate a name and address in the bag for reassurance.
So, we'll see how it goes.
All expenses for these are a write off as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Keesha Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:39 pm

I volunteer at a large local church. My best friend is one of the children’s teachers so she keeps me informed of all the events that they have going on. Every once in a while I paint faces for a party, for a play, or whatever. It’s only about once a month or so and I have gotten a ton of business from it! I think the fact that I’m volunteering my time makes the church members remember me and they also get to see my work and how happy the children are! I always make sure I talk to the adults around and tell them I do birthday parties and leave a lot of business cards for them. The church, in return lets me post a large advertisement on the bulletin board.
Keesha
Keesha

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Daizy Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:41 pm

Other that being out at events and making sure I hand out business cards, my biggest form of Marketing and where I get a lot of bookings is from facebook.

I made a business page for free, and make sure I keep it regularly updated with new faces and where I am painting next. It is fun when you see the same people from facebook following you around.
Running small competitions I have found to be a great way to attract more 'fans' and when 1 person joins all of their friends see and will check you out too, its a great chain effect.
Daizy
Daizy

Number of posts : 860
Registration date : 2010-09-02

http://www.daizydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Fancy Faces with a Twist Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:59 pm

THANKS to all of you for getting my mind turning.
I am a going to try.... all of it!! Smile
Fancy Faces with a Twist
Fancy Faces with a Twist

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2010-09-23

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fancy-Face-Face-Painting/119587161

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:34 pm

I try to come up with new ways to get my name out there...for instance tonight, I took full advantage of it being halloween and put a business card in the bag with every piece of candy handed out. Knowing the parents will check the stash before allowing kids to have any.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rose Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:37 pm

Daizy, do you pay for facebook ads, or just get new fans by word of mouth? I have a facebook page for my busines and was wondering how to attract more followers. Thanks.
rose
rose

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-09-29

http://www.roseycheeks.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by BarbieSmith Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:18 am

I am very, very poor about marketing - I just don't have the stomach for it. The two things that work for me: word-of-mouth (most of my bday parties result in another booking or two) and painting in the park while my girls are playing.

I have a great facebook page, but it goes nowhere Smile
BarbieSmith
BarbieSmith

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2010-07-02

http://www.SweetScentsCandles.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Terina Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:48 pm

I am just now starting to figure out my marketing strategy. I am in the process of making up some Christmas flyers. I am going to do some direct marketing to Day Care Centers, schools, and other children's entertainment facilities like Bounce Houses and so on. I did make a face book page. Got a call for Halloween but was too booked. Sad

I am getting ready to go to some regular businesses too. I am trying to get things as booked for next year as I can...we will see. Every one here has such great ideas...I am trying everyone that has been suggested to me!!!
Terina
Terina

Number of posts : 616
Registration date : 2010-09-27

http://www.royalmagicevents.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Amanda Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:08 pm

A friend of mine hired me to paint at a local live band/movie night this past June. It's one of those weekly outdoor free events the city holds over the summer. Well I painted for a good 3 hours and was slammed (It was free for anyone to get painted). I had business cards out on my table next to my big mirror and tip jar, and I know I gave out a decent amount of them. That was about 3 weeks after I officially started my business, and since then I've gotten at least 3 jobs I know of from people directly from that event, plus 3 or 4 more that stemmed off of those initial gigs. Next year I plan on doing it for free a few times, and possibly in a few cities, just for the good exposure. Smile

I also have a good online presence, a good website, and a facebook page. I plan on paying for some advertising space in local family magazines this spring as well.
Amanda
Amanda

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-07-10

http://www.elaborateeyes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down