Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

best kit to start with

+4
Jengo
ChangingFaceDesigns
Perry Noia
terntam
8 posters

Go down

best  kit to start with Empty best kit to start with

Post by terntam Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:22 pm

I am totally new to facepainting, but I have a lot of painting in my background. What would be the best kit to start with? I'm thinking I would like a more fluid paint to try? Any suggestions would be great. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg to see if I'm going to be any good at this! LOL Plus, what about a practice head, is this a good idea?

Thanks to everyone and anyone with ideas! Very Happy
terntam
terntam

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2010-05-16

Back to top Go down

best  kit to start with Empty Re: best kit to start with

Post by Guest Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:34 pm

I love Paradise. it is easy to work with and you can buy a sample pallette of several colours.
Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Perry Noia Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:52 pm

everyone has different favourites... there are threads and threads about it. I think the main thing is to get yourself a palette with a variety of colours so that you can try different things without having to buy all the colours individually until you get used to it. A Snazaroo 8 colour palette will take you pretty far to start with and they sell them at Michael's.

I don't think you NEED a practice head... you have a head, your partner has a head, you may have kids or other family members with heads Wink You can also practice lines, swirls and tear drops on your arms and legs while you sit and watch tv or something.
Perry Noia
Perry Noia

Number of posts : 3523
Registration date : 2008-12-12

http://www.perrynoia.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by ChangingFaceDesigns Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:13 pm

Hello and welcome terntam. Check out my recent topic post under general facepainting regarding the practice head you might find it useful.
ChangingFaceDesigns
ChangingFaceDesigns

Number of posts : 1559
Registration date : 2010-04-20

http://www.changingfacedesigns.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jengo Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:21 pm

I think all painters have different preferences... I started out with 2 of the Paradise palettes (pastel & basic), though looking back I would have switched out the basic for tropical since the basic kit's colours are kind of blah, and I ended up buying pro size Paradise black & DFX white separately, anyway (even starting out you'll go through tons of black and white).
If you're really tight for cash you can get one Paradise palette (tropical has great basic colours) and full size black & white from the forum shop for around $40, which is really great. I like my DFX black and white better than the Paradise for line work, generally.
Snazaroo also makes tiny sampler palettes that are about $15 each, and are okay if you're really uncertain whether you want to do more face painting. The sparkle palette has great base colours, and the rainbow palette has the basics.
If you're not looking to make any big investments yet don't get a practice head. You have a perfectly good practice head on your shoulders!
Jengo
Jengo

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-06-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:00 pm

If you want to use creams or liquids there is Fantasy Worldwide which is available both ways. The creams come in pots or tubes, the liquids in plastic bottles.

It is a really nice product.

There is also Fardel but you can't find suppliers in North America anymore.

Back to top Go down

Post by Psalmbook Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:18 am

There's a great starter kit in the kids section at most bookstores made by Klutz. They use Wolfe paints & are great for lines & bases.
Snazaroo is what I started with. I now use a mix of wolfe/dfx(the same paint in my opinion) & Paradise.
Also use quality brushes as your lines are only as good as your brushes.
Psalmbook
Psalmbook

Number of posts : 7642
Registration date : 2010-03-09

http://www.wix.com/psalmbook/Lindas-Face-Painting

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:47 am

Our Hobby Lobby has small Snaz kits available in primaries and pastels for $7.99. (You can frequently print 40% coupons from their website, too.)
Sam
Sam

Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2010-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jengo Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:19 am

Good point from Psalmbook: get good brushes! Check out the threads in the forum about brushes for the best options. The brushes that come with kits are generally no good.
Jengo
Jengo

Number of posts : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by wmeventservices Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:32 pm

I showed up to my first gig with a small paradise sampler. I can't believe someone paid me, but they did and now my kit is much larger. I've tried all the brands and my favorite is paradise.
wmeventservices
wmeventservices

Number of posts : 2132
Registration date : 2009-09-03

http://www.Art-Z-Faces.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CottonKandyClown Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:22 am

The first think I purchased was a kit from Silly Farm. I purchased the Fast Fun Faces with the stencils and the rainbow cakes. I didn't love using the stencils. I think there is a learning curve to those. The kit was great though! I made a ton of rainbow butterflies, tigers, and kitties Smile
CottonKandyClown
CottonKandyClown

Number of posts : 1109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down