Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Face Paint Forum
Register today to be part of the BEST face painting community on the planet. You just aren't cool if you aren't a member!
Face Paint Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DVD: Mark Reid: Boys will be Boys 2

3 posters

Go down

DVD: Mark Reid: Boys will be Boys 2 Empty DVD: Mark Reid: Boys will be Boys 2

Post by jenjenhana Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:21 am

Ok, so I was super excited to get this one in the mail because tattoos and tribals are requested a lot when I'm painting; sadly, I am horrible at them (yes I have the Tribal Muse workbook). Anyways, my overall reaction is a positive one!

Positives:
1) This is a bare bones DVD. No marketing, no fluff, no filler. Just step by step painting. You pick the design you want and that's what you get!
2) Mark is always SO clear with his instructions, and he takes his time showing the techniques so you don't have to continually pause and play (maybe I'm the only one who does that?). I always have an aha! moment when I watch him paint. His partner for the DVD taught in a similar fashion, but faster.
3) The designs are both RAD and super cute. I love the flame sleeve and the tribal dragon (quick and cute...I mean...tough and manly) There are also a number that would be great for line work, and some that could be easily modified. Then there are the full back designs that are like....wow. Honestly, a lot of these designs could totally be painted on grown men.

Negatives:
1) $$$$! Of course, most training DVDs are $$$$$. I got mine for $35. (But this one was worth it to me, so does that count?)
2) Ok, this is totally a personal opinion, but in the first few designs the soundtrack is totally bizarre. Very new age with strange panting/breathing/singing in the background. I was like, get a room? A little distracting........

Scale of 1-10
I give it an 8. I know that this is going to really increase my skills in tribals, flames and skulls. Enough said.
What a Face
jenjenhana
jenjenhana

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-10-08

http://www.fenixfaba.com

Back to top Go down

DVD: Mark Reid: Boys will be Boys 2 Empty Re: DVD: Mark Reid: Boys will be Boys 2

Post by sparklingfaces Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:48 am

You know I just got this video so I guess I can add my two cents

Positives:
1) Great boy designs
2) helps you learn different skulls and tribals
3) All designs seem like they were done impromtu with little preparation so the artist were able to personalize to each boy... This could swing both ways as a positive and a negative. I like things a bit more structured and planned out, but have to give them props for being able to do it on the spot.
4) Helps improve tattoo style of body painting

Negatives:
1) yep - it was expensive
2) Yep - music was STRANGE
3) I didn't like how everything *kind of* looked the same
4) I wish it was a book instead

Scale of 1-10
I give it an 8. After taking Mark's class and seeing a demo from Wiser, it surprized the heck out of me that this videos was *alot* like the class.
Mark does a great job explaining things and during his class he even went around and painted examples on everyone's arms. ( so you can see his brush strokes and technique up close ) The class was a billion times better - but if you can't take the class, this video is the next best thing.
sparklingfaces
sparklingfaces

Number of posts : 310
Registration date : 2009-09-20

http://www.sparklingfaces.net

Back to top Go down

DVD: Mark Reid: Boys will be Boys 2 Empty Re: DVD: Mark Reid: Boys will be Boys 2

Post by jenjenhana Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:22 pm

I know, I was like, wait did they just make that up 2 minutes before camera? LOL. Yep, totally wish it were a book too!
jenjenhana
jenjenhana

Back to top Go down

Post by LoneWolf Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:13 pm

I could also have used it at a book, and then with more designs. Or maybe just more designs in the gallery section.
Music: strange!
Could have been nice with a different camera angle, so it is possible to see the tip of the brush more.
Expensive, yes!
Designs: nice, but I must admit I was a bit disappointed with them. I hoped to get some tips and ideas for constructing/ designing tribals. Like: basic shapes, good ways to combine them and maybe placement.

I might give the DVD only 6-7.Take a class with him instead =)
LoneWolf
LoneWolf

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2008-10-04

http://www.lone-wolf.dk

Back to top Go down

Post by jenjenhana Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Yeah, learning how to construct them would be great! For some reason my brain won't accept the shapes and flow into anything that makes sense.....
jenjenhana
jenjenhana

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down